BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Owners... how real is the range?

Hello,
I'm cross shopping with Tesla and model Y model 3.

It seems in general you should consider the range to be from 20% to 80% charge. Thus that's about 40% lopped off for start before winter etc etc and air con (does the ix3 have a heat pump btw please?).

Thus a couple of question if owners have a minute please:-

1. No matter what the range, is the BMW estimate fairly honest. Eg start off from home with 150 miles, travel 50 and it stil have near 100mile range?
2. Is the 20-80% guide applicable for BMW battery tech too, what max single trip range is this yielding for you ... 286m x 0.6 = 170 miles?
      09-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Hello,

It seems in general you should consider the range to be from 20% to 80% charge. Thus that's about 40% lopped off for start before winter etc etc and air con (does the ix3 have a heat pump btw please?).

1. No matter what the range, is the BMW estimate fairly honest. Eg start off from home with 150 miles, travel 50 and it stil have near 100mile range?
2. Is the 20-80% guide applicable for BMW battery tech too, what max single trip range is this yielding for you ... 286m x 0.6 = 170 miles?

JustChris,
The guess-o-meter in the dashboard is not called that for no reason. Use it as an indication, nothing more/less. I work with the longterm average (mine is now at 188,5 Wh/km) and base my range on 77kWh useable battery power which boils down to 410 kms. When driving in the Netherlands I do take head/tail wind in consideration (when over force 5) and when abroad I add some consumption when in accentuated terrain. In winter I reduce the 77 kWh to 74/73 if temperatures are very low. Next to that I drive in B-mode regenerating a lot. When in city traffic this helps a lot, when on highway not so much.

I just started discussions with BMW Netherlands to have them discuss with Munich Engineering to display the SoC in % during charging instead of the 10%-step bar and a range figure which is unrealistic. Some calculations have shown to be more reliable.

The other day I returned from southern France and charged between Paris and Lille to almost full (97% according charger). This allowed me to reach home (397 km) with 20 km spare according guess-o-meter. So I experienced a range of about 430/440 km when driving in reasonably flat terrain and not exceeding 120 km/hr (around Antwerp due to roadworks a stretch of 70km/hr). Not bad I think looking at the BMW promised 460km range under perfect conditions.

My experience regarding the air-con is positive; it looks like this consumes less then the heating. I hardly noticed a significant range reduction with the air-con on vs off. Driving during the night caused the heating to be used which caused a slight reduction of the range I estimated in my calculations.

In short: it depends on quite a lot of factors and over time a feeling for the range will come. We started to France nervous with range-anxiety but returned with a 390km stretch on one charge (still without the turtle!j. This was all highway, so no regeneration power to be added.

As far as the 20/80 rule is concerned, this is used for fast charging. Above 80% the fast chargers have no added value, due to the charge curve (see FastNed site for the iX3 curve). When on longer trips where you need these you calculate with this number. The 20% low range is what you want yourself. My car is charged in front of my house, so pre-conditioning is no burden on the batteries. If this is not an option you will have to reserve some power for this. I do not have a lot of experience in this, but it is not a huge number if you make the duration not excessive long. My 225 and my iX3 took never more then 10 min. Longer seems useless to me. But that is personal. Reserving 20% seems overdone to me.

I hope this helps you a little. I got my iX3 in February so only a short winter period to drive in. But here the max stretch I was able to do was 360 (again no turtle yet). I blame this in battery temp and heating on.

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 09-17-2021 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
Sevenland82
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

it is indeed a prediction. The range depends on so many factors.

But I do notice that the ix3 indicates rather pessimistic, which is an advantage.

In the morning I leave for a highway distance of 100 km. The predicted range is 314km. I arrive at my destination (speed 100 - 130km) and the predicted range is 320km... What do you think? infinite battery power

But Tesla is the master of battery power/range/efficiency.
Still, I chose the ix3 over the Model Y and Mach-E (I think these are the real competitors)
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great answers guys thank you. I have a feeling the BMW range / guess ometer will be a little more realistic than in Tesla.
      09-17-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep

I have 3600km on the counter now, my average is at 19.1kwh/100km with an average overall speed of 75km/hr with at least 50% highway so I'd say the ix3 is doing very well when it comes to efficiency or approaching theoretical range similar to what was mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
Sevenland82
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Yeah i think BMW did a good job with the rear motor and not going crazy with rocket 0-100 speeds.
Its a big car but efficient.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-17-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

MKBHD did a 1000mile drive (not in an iX3) with tesla / Ford, their conclusion is that Ford like most 'car' companies underestimate the range left, whereas tesla display the absolute best possible range (tend to over estimate, run it tight)

I'd rather the car say 50 miles left and have 75, than it say 50 and be 49 or 51.

But like ICE cars, all down to how you drive
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #8
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Hello,

Oh meant to say, yes the iX3 uses a heat pump for both cabin and battery conditioning
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-18-2021, 02:19 AM   #9
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

Found this today: https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/e-car-hacks.html

Might give you some answers

And what I noted is a noticeable difference in consumption around 120 km/hr. When driving here “long distance” (talking the Netherlands) and keeping my speed at 120 I end with better range left vs driving 130 on same road/distance. We have this weird system in place where we are allowed 100 during day time and 130 on some stretches during evening/night time. When returning from the north I tried it both at 120 and 130 km/hr and noticed 12 km range more on 170km distance. Worth the time if it avoids charging “away from home”.�� On the other hand there are more variables at play so it is not only that. But in the consumption screen it was also visible in the graphs. But on flatland as ours head/tailwind can easily be a part of the difference. With ICEs we do not bother so much and the consumption info is by far not as accurate as in EVs. But when you pay some thought to it it can help you get more out of the car.

Last edited by iX3 rijder; 09-18-2021 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-28-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
Tarmarc
Netherlands
Rep

Check out this "Tesla Björn" He has a great series of different tests on different EV models, including the iX3

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 04:33 AM   #11
bilbabon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ix3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenland82 View Post
But I do notice that the ix3 indicates rather pessimistic, which is an advantage.
Maybe it's because it does not count restored energy while breaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:07 AM   #12
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbabon View Post
Maybe it's because it does not count restored energy while breaking.
There is a summary of the total amount of electric power available. When you go to “Car” and then to the screen with the graphs (my info system is set to Dutch, sorry) you’ll find a number in the left hand down corner. This indicates the total amount of regenerated power. When you set the history to a different range I guess you can see the regenerated power for that drive. I have it on “since factory”, but you can see the amount increase when breaking or going downhill.
The guess-o-meter is obviously not correcting during driving. The changes are probably too small.
Appreciate 0