E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP I was testing and pulling fuses in my 2007 335i now my car won’t start!!!

09-17-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
Zacaustin
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

I was testing and pulling fuses found that the blow motor fuse was blown and front cigarette liter fuse was blow! I also pulled a couple other fuses because they weren't testing on the multimeter but turned out to be okay they just didn't get power when ignition wasn't on. But after replacing the blown fuses I tried to start my car and there's power and you can hear the fuel pump priming when trying to start, but it won't even crank.[/IMG]

2007 e92 bmw 335i
* my car started fine before I pulled fuses, after I realized it wouldn't start I tested every single fuse in the fuse box to make sure they weren't blown I don't know if I missed place one or am just not seeing something that's why I'm asking for help because it may be something simple I'm missing !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacaustin View Post
I was testing and pulling fuses found that the blow motor fuse was blown and front cigarette liter fuse was blow! I also pulled a couple other fuses because they weren't testing on the multimeter but turned out to be okay they just didn't get power when ignition wasn't on. But after replacing the blown fuses I tried to start my car and there's power and you can hear the fuel pump priming when trying to start, but it won't even crank.[/IMG]

2007 e92 bmw 335i
* my car started fine before I pulled fuses, after I realized it wouldn't start I tested every single fuse in the fuse box to make sure they weren't blown I don't know if I missed place one or am just not seeing something that's why I'm asking for help because it may be something simple I'm missing !

Are you sure you put the fuse's in the correct spots? The fuse box is in a difficult location to see/access, so you might have misplaced one.

A lot of people forget this, but there is also a fuse box in your trunk next to the battery. The 100 amp starter motor fuse is back there. Depending on your E92 build month/year, its fuse F102. I don't know how it could have blown amidst all your other messing around in the fuse-box, but its worth double checking. If you really want to go to town checking fuses, there is also a fuse box in your engine compartment where the DME is (on the left, in the rear, passenger side)

This site is your friend:
https://fuse-box.info/bmw/bmw-3-seri...uses-and-relay
Attached Images

Last edited by E93Dude; 09-18-2021 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
Zacaustin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
Quote:

2007 e92 bmw 335i

Are you sure you put the fuse's in the correct spots? The fuse box is in a difficult location to see/access, so you might have misplaced one.

A lot of people forget this, but there is also a fuse box in your trunk next to the battery. The 100 amp starter motor fuse is back there. Depending on your E92 build month/year, its fuse F102. I don't know how it could have blown amidst all your other messing around in the fuse-box, but its worth double checking. If you really want to go to town checking fuses, there is also a fuse box in your engine compartment where the DME is (on the left, in the rear, passenger side)

Yeah I spent 5 hours looking at diagrams making sure everything was in the right spot tested all the fuses in the dme and in the glove box , how would I go about texting that starter fuse in the trunk it's not your standard fuse?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
I was testing and pulling fuses... after replacing the blown fuses I tried to start my car and there's power and you can hear the fuel pump priming when trying to start, but it won't even crank... 2007 e92 bmw 335i...
I presume your photo is AFTER you swapped fuses about? Do you have a BEFORE photo?
Attached are two pages from Bentley Manual: Fuse Chart for Early 2007 Model, built BEFORE 3/1/2007.
Someone has replaced LARGE ("Maxi") Fuses on lower right with 30- & 40-Amp fuses that SHOULD be 50-Amp.
When you press START button WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch, does Instrument Cluster Light-up?

Does Central Locking work? If NOT, then likely Fuse F51 has blown, as that is NOT the CORRECT Amp Rating.
F51 is where the Green 30-Amp fuse on the top row of LARGE fuses is located. That SHOULD be 50-Amp.
The Orange 40-Amp fuse on bottom row of Maxi fuses can be put in F51 socket to test.
THAT Orange fuse is shown in your photo as being in F66 (Diesel Fuel Heater) slot -- NOT used on your model.
See the attached ISTA ScreenPrints of the CAS Fuses, and F51 circuit & Location. Fuse AMP RATING MATTERS.
I would suggest getting some 50-Amp fuses, and putting CORRECT Amp-rating in the "Maxi" fuse sockets per fuse chart.
Check to see if your vehicle has had Blower Motor Harness recall performed, and if it has NOT,
NOW would be a good time to get it done, while you have the Glovebox removed.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
Zacaustin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
I was testing and pulling fuses... after replacing the blown fuses I tried to start my car and there's power and you can hear the fuel pump priming when trying to start, but it won't even crank... 2007 e92 bmw 335i...
I presume your photo is AFTER you swapped fuses about? Do you have a BEFORE photo?
Attached are two pages from Bentley Manual: Fuse Chart for Early 2007 Model, built BEFORE 3/1/2007.
Someone has replaced LARGE ("Maxi") Fuses on lower right with 30- & 40-Amp fuses that SHOULD be 50-Amp.
When you press START button WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch, does Instrument Cluster Light-up?

Does Central Locking work? If NOT, then likely Fuse F51 has blown, as that is NOT the CORRECT Amp Rating.
F51 is where the Green 30-Amp fuse on the top row of LARGE fuses is located. That SHOULD be 50-Amp.
The Orange 40-Amp fuse on bottom row of Maxi fuses can be put in F51 socket to test.
THAT Orange fuse is shown in your photo as being in F66 (Diesel Fuel Heater) slot -- NOT used on your model.
See the attached ISTA ScreenPrints of the CAS Fuses, and F51 circuit & Location. Fuse AMP RATING MATTERS.
I would suggest getting some 50-Amp fuses, and putting CORRECT Amp-rating in the "Maxi" fuse sockets per fuse chart.
Check to see if your vehicle has had Blower Motor Harness recall performed, and if it has NOT,
George
Whenever I try to start the car I can hear the fuel pumping priming but no attempt to start, and yes that picture is after I swapped my fuses! Lol I will learn from all my mistakes after this is fixed! All the lights in the car work like normal just won't turn over.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Zacaustin
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

George
Whenever I try to start the car I can hear the fuel pumping priming but no attempt to start, and yes that picture is after I swapped my fuses! Lol I will learn from all my mistakes after this is fixed! All the lights in the car work like normal just won't turn over.
The orange fuse in the bottom row should be the dsc ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
Zacaustin
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

2007 e92 bmw 335i

Yeah I spent 5 hours looking at diagrams making sure everything was in the right spot tested all the fuses in the dme and in the glove box , how would I go about texting that starter fuse in the trunk it's not your standard fuse?
Yeah I spent 5 hours looking at diagrams making sure everything was in the right spot tested all the fuses in the dme and in the glove box , how would I go about texting that starter fuse in the trunk it's not your standard fuse?[/QUOTE]

You need to start by checking if your car is throwing any codes….Do you have a codereader? Ultimately, you should download ISTA to your Windows 10 laptop to run full diagnostics. Gbalthrop's comments are very helpful.[/QUOTE]
Well while I was messing with my car the doors were probably open for 2 hours so maybe not enough power to attempt to turn over ? I'm trying to get someone to jump me now
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
You mentioned in your OP that you "...tested every single fuse in the fuse box to make sure they weren't blown" - how did you test those? If you want to test the starter fuse in the trunk, I would suggest pulling it out and testing it with a multimeter.
      09-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

If ANYONE finds a "Starter Fuse" on an E9x (or ANY car ;-) please post a photo.

The "Fusible Links" in the "Rear Power Distribution Panel" on top of the Battery do NOT affect the power to the Starter, which is direct from the Positive Battery Terminal, via the BST (Battery Safety Switch).

If you have 12V+ at the Jumpstart Terminal under the Hood, the LARGE B+ Cable from the Battery is providing Voltage to the Starter (wired directly from the B+ Jumpstart Terminal).

If you don't have a cheap Multimeter ($10 or less), PLEASE get one. You CANNOT CORRECTLY DIAGNOSE an electrical fault without one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter
https://www.amazon.com/Plusivo-Digit...s%2C157&sr=8-5

George
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #10
Zacaustin
Rep

Quote:

The "Fusible Links" in the "Rear Power Distribution Panel" on top of the Battery do NOT affect the power to the Starter, which is direct from the Positive Battery Terminal, via the BST (Battery Safety Switch).

If you have 12V+ at the Jumpstart Terminal under the Hood, the LARGE B+ Cable from the Battery is providing Voltage to the Starter (wired directly from the B+ Jumpstart Terminal).

If you don't have a cheap Multimeter ($10 or less), PLEASE get one. You CANNOT CORRECTLY DIAGNOSE an electrical fault without one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter
https://www.amazon.com/Plusivo-Digit...157&sr=8-5

George
I'm so thankful for you guys helping me ! I feel like an idiot , the battery was too low to even attempt to crank! I'm new to this car and usually in other cars it will at least attempt to crank with a low battery but I jumped the car and started right up thank you all for the help!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #11
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:

George

Then why is the rear fuse F102 labeled "...B+ terminal (engine compartment) STARTER, battery..."? As an electrical component, the starter at some point is connected to a fuse, and probably a hefty one.

In any case, this is all OBE since the cause turned out to be...dead battery. Ironic, since I just purchased a portable jumpstarter for a vehicle the other day.
      09-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Starter Fuse "Snipe Hunt", Part 1

Quote:
Then why is the rear fuse F102 labeled "...B+ terminal (engine compartment) STARTER, battery..."?
As an electrical component, the starter at some point is connected to a fuse, and probably a hefty one...
You are correct: OP's issue had NOTHING to do with a fuse, as a simple voltage check at Jumpstart Terminal would have shown.
However, so we can ALL understand our vehicles better, I attach ISTA ScreenPrints of B+ supply to Starter Motor.
You do NOT provide attribution to the SOURCE of your attachment to Post #2, but your reliance on it may be misplaced.
You refer to "fuse F102", but there is NO identification in attachment of any such F102 in OP's BEFORE 3/1/2007 model.
I don't see ANY location diagram or photo for F102 in 3/1/2007 & later models in your attachment to post #2.
This is NOT intended as an attack on your ability to understand the B+ Supply system in E9x vehicles. It IS a suggestion
that there are Misleading, Incorrect references "out there". Even Bentley Manual and ISTA have such MIS-info at times.

If one simply applies proper CONCEPTS of electrical circuits, it should be OBVIOUS that a 100-Amp fuse
would NOT be sufficient to supply Current to the Starter Motor, or to handle output from a "180-Amp" rated Alternator.
Yet F102 is rated at 100-Amp. Why is the battery rated at 900 to 1,000 CA?
See attached ISTA Diagram of Rear Fuse Holder (located in Power Distribution Panel over Battery).
F102 (100-Amp) supplies power to X1984 which goes to the INBOARD Transfer Point in front of Battery, and then
to the VVT supply in the E-box, at least on N51 & N52-Engined Models, with VVT. NOT sure WHAT that does on OP's N54.
If you have any doubt about the fact that there is NO fuse or Fusible Link in the B+ supply to Jumpstart Terminal,
Simply disconnect the ENTIRE Rear Power Distribution Panel from the (+) Battery Terminal as shown in attached Photo.
Measure Voltage at Jumpstart Terminal. Then ask yourself: WHY did BMW install BST (Battery Safety Terminal)
which is triggered by the MRS in a frontal collision?

BTW, Bentley Manual contains the SAME description (erroneous?) of F102, but if you try to FOLLOW the circuit, it is NOT
to Starter. Sometimes it takes TIME and ANALysis to get CORRECT information. If you believe ANYTHING stated
above is INCORRECT, please advise.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Thank you for the detailed explanation, George. You provided great information that everyone can benefit from.

My source for the "F102" fuse suggestion was the following link, also posted earlier:
It appears to have taken info from a BMW source, given the detailed diagram - but, of course, there is no was of confirming that. Or the reliability of pretty much anything on the internet. F102 appears to reside in #8/#9 on the diagram. Its still not clear to me what that fuse includes "Starter" in its description, but I don't really care at this point.

Please understand that not everyone has ISTA, not everyone has experience using/understanding arcane wiring diagrams, and not everyone (me, included) understood that the starter motor drew more than 100 amps. We also do not know the exact build date of OP's 238xi. Your use of phrases like "...like it should be OBVIOUS...", an penchant for all caps does not help educate. The only people here who need to be "schooled" here are the occasional know-it-all-know-nothing assholes, and I am not one of them. If I am misconstruing your intent, then I regret that. This is why (to many of my staff's irritation), I don't use email or IM as much as I used to, and instead pick up the phone and call them when I need something.
      09-19-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Your use of phrases like "...like it should be OBVIOUS...", an penchant for all caps does not help educate. The only people here who need to be "schooled" here are the occasional know-it-all-know-nothing assholes, and I am not one of them. If I am misconstruing your intent, then I regret that...
My intent is NOT to "school" anyone. I research ISTA & Bentley (best two sources known to me, but even THEY contain errors as stated in my earlier post). I then post MY understanding of those resources, and INVITE opposing views (EMPHASIS ADDED ;-).

A Forum should NOT be a "Battle of Wits", either fully-armed or LESS so.
I do NOT intend my posts to be ANYTHING other than my best attempt to interpret reputable sources, and to post what THEY show or state, and to ALSO post my OWN interpretation of those resources. My posts are often TL/DNR 'cuz I offer my "CONCEPTS" to see if anyone takes issue with them, or can suggest a BETTER Concept.

I'm sure I make mistakes, and I also may appear (or actually be ;-) arrogant or unmindful of the way others interpret my posts. PLEASE do NOT hesitate to point out those occasions so I can clean up my act.

In the meantime, my objective will be to try to encourage myself and OTHERS (perhaps you ;-) to identify the most reliable sources available, and to QUESTION what those sources present: i.e. THINK!/ LEARN!

George
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 04:30 PM   #15
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
My intent is NOT to "school" anyone. I research ISTA & Bentley (best two sources known to me, but even THEY contain errors as stated in my earlier post). I then post MY understanding of those resources, and INVITE opposing views (EMPHASIS ADDED ;-).

A Forum should NOT be a "Battle of Wits", either fully-armed or LESS so.
I do NOT intend my posts to be ANYTHING other than my best attempt to interpret reputable sources, and to post what THEY show or state, and to ALSO post my OWN interpretation of those resources. My posts are often TL/DNR 'cuz I offer my "CONCEPTS" to see if anyone takes issue with them, or can suggest a BETTER Concept.

I'm sure I make mistakes, and I also may appear (or actually be ;-) arrogant or unmindful of the way others interpret my posts. PLEASE do NOT hesitate to point out those occasions so I can clean up my act.

In the meantime, my objective will be to try to encourage myself and OTHERS (perhaps you ;-) to identify the most reliable sources available, and to QUESTION what those sources present: i.e. THINK!/ LEARN!

George

George, I've been reading your posts for a long time and you definitely have played a part in helping me figure out how to fix a range of things, so keep posting. And you do not come across as uninformed at all - I hope I did not give that impression. I think its maybe the all caps and how I read that, but if you say you are coming from a good place, I'll take your word on that.

Awesome day for a drive with top down out here....
      09-19-2021, 06:28 PM   #16
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... Awesome day for a drive with top down out here....
What part of the "Old Dominion" are you in?
George (Northern OD ;-)
Appreciate 0