BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #1
mdlevitus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW ix3

ix3 - maximum range showing as 194 miles

Hi all, hope all is well.

I just bought an ix3, am based in the UK. I went to charge it on a bp pulse super charger (170kw) for the first time last night and charged to 100% which was 194 miles.

My ix3 only goes up to 194 miles, it actually only shows up to 194 miles on the charging range bar. This is very different from the advertised range which was round about 281 miles. Does anyone know what the deal here is?

Do I need to change a setting in my ix3?

Thanks,
Mark
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Doubt it, the range is calculated using historics, so I bet you have 'had fun' since you picked it up. The historics then will be very short, and 'high utilisation' so the predictive range will be likewise. Drive it around for a little while (month or so) and see if it improves. I bet it will.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #3
mdlevitus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW ix3

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
the_ape101.50
      09-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlevitus View Post
Hi all, hope all is well.

I just bought an ix3, am based in the UK. I went to charge it on a bp pulse super charger (170kw) for the first time last night and charged to 100% which was 194 miles.

My ix3 only goes up to 194 miles, it actually only shows up to 194 miles on the charging range bar. This is very different from the advertised range which was round about 281 miles. Does anyone know what the deal here is?

Do I need to change a setting in my ix3?

Thanks,
Mark
The range display is generally regarded as a Guess O Meter for a reason. EV range is impacted by a number of variables including how often you allow the car to coast; acceleration rate; how hard you brake etc. Then add in outside air temperature; rain; heating/cooling and can end up in situations where your overall range increases the longer that you drive. Sadly, we are now entering the season when range will start to fall away even with battery preconditioning.

Coasting was very much an ongoing discussion when I got my first BMW in 2015 with its 80 mile range. Coasting is a much more efficient driving mode than regenerative braking but it doesn’t make one very popular on busy roads. My 2O15 i3 record range was 105 miles driving around west Wales on a 20’C day with dry roads and lots of coasting approaching roundabouts etc. I could have got more but the REx kicked in.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

As others said, depends how you drive and use of AC. Most I've seen mine at is 230miles for a full charge. Currently averaging about 20 miles every 10%
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
The range display is generally regarded as a Guess O Meter for a reason. EV range is impacted by a number of variables including how often you allow the car to coast; acceleration rate; how hard you brake etc. Then add in outside air temperature; rain; heating/cooling and can end up in situations where your overall range increases the longer that you drive. Sadly, we are now entering the season when range will start to fall away even with battery preconditioning.

Coasting was very much an ongoing discussion when I got my first BMW in 2015 with its 80 mile range. Coasting is a much more efficient driving mode than regenerative braking but it doesn’t make one very popular on busy roads. My 2O15 i3 record range was 105 miles driving around west Wales on a 20’C day with dry roads and lots of coasting approaching roundabouts etc. I could have got more but the REx kicked in.
The smart Regen breaking seems pretty good from my test drives, take foot off pedal, it coasts using nav info and sensors till needs to break, then regens breaking, and as you come to the light's/whatnot where it will stop completely if required (red light, other traffic)

So yeah, I tend to switch between different regen modes on the 225xe using the switch, and coasting really does help etc
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
gray1x
Private
Rep

Now that I'm used to the one pedal B mode it's an absolute dream to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I loved the b mode in town etc when test drove it, works great
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
Now that I'm used to the one pedal B mode it's an absolute dream to drive.
Yes, I have defaulted back to the B mode. I couldn’t get used to having to use the brake to bring the car to a stop at roundabouts and junctions. B mode is intuitively simple and coasting is easy using the RHS scale as a reference.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
gray1x
Private
Rep

RHS scale ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #11
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
RHS scale ?
There is a scale of the right hand side of the Driver Information Display which shows your rate of acceleration and the amount of braking that is being applied. You are coasting when the needle is midway (pointing East if you like) as per the photo.

When you take your foot off the accelerator in D mode, say when approaching a junction, the car will initially coast and then you see the needle drop as Adaptive braking kicks in. I don't like the fact that car then doesn't stop: if anything, it accelerates.

In B mode, the trick is using your right foot to manage the amount of braking. Initially, most people just take their foot off the accelerator and then they wonder why the car brakes sharply. I also find B mode easier to use when driving on twisty roads: it is just an easier way of slowing down without using the brake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:28 AM   #12
Numbers18
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

Hi all,

Like Mark's post above, I have just taken delivery on my BMW IX3 here in the UK. I ahve driven the car around 700 miles and todate the car wil show a maximum range of circa 205 miles on the range bar at 100% charge. We are average 3.4 mi/kwh or 292wh/mi since owning the car. Based on the fact it has a usable battery of 74 kWh I would expect the car to show circa 250/260 miles. My model 3 Tesla always show a range of circa 95% of the published range.

Any advice or help would be grateful recieved, i'm driving the car in B mode as well averaging around 30mph.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I have had the iX3 since the start of September. When I took delivery from the dealer it was showing 249 miles. That's the most I have seen. Since then it showing around 190miles to 195 miles. Average consumption is 3.6 K/WH. So am not sure why its so low. I have asked the dealer and he said that lot of factors can vary the range such as cold weather and use of the A/C. I explained that the average consumption was better than what BMW say themselves say (3.4k/WH).

I think the car needs at least 10-20 charge cycles before it shows more an accurate range, not sure though.

Overall very disappointing so far as this is about 30% below what BMW claim and the winter period has not yet even arrived. My I3s was better, right from day one it showed 125 miles in the summer and 110miles in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Both the demo cars I drove showed over 220 one on 100% SOC and thr other probably 90% or so. So that's very odd, perhaps it's like my 225xe though where the predicted range is based on how it thinks you will drive, and I'd rather it underestimate range than what the tesla does and slightly overestimate as its predicting best case range rather than worst ish case, have to see when mine comes though... Still waiting.... Might get it before my birthday though with a little luck 😂
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:18 AM   #15
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

According the Genius at my dealer the guess-o-meter will indicate the theoretical range as a calculation of the consumption (in kWh/100km) in your last use multiplied by the SoC. So the range indication depends on your last driven efficiency. I take the guess-o-meter with two pinches of salt and do my own estimation. Long term efficiency times the SoC (summer 77 kWh/winter 72.5 kWh) but there is so much more to consider. Like driving in a hybride you’ll never know the exact range until the turtle appears!

Part of the fun/frustration of EV driving I call it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 02:29 AM   #16
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
According the Genius at my dealer the guess-o-meter will indicate the theoretical range as a calculation of the consumption (in kWh/100km) in your last use multiplied by the SoC. So the range indication depends on your last driven efficiency. I take the guess-o-meter with two pinches of salt and do my own estimation. Long term efficiency times the SoC (summer 77 kWh/winter 72.5 kWh) but there is so much more to consider. Like driving in a hybride you’ll never know the exact range until the turtle appears!

Part of the fun/frustration of EV driving I call it.
This wasn’t/isn’t the way that the i3 works. Yes, after a series of short journeys, the predicted range would be on the low side. However, after a long drive, the range would be back up at the maximum once fully charged. For example, I have seen a range of over 200 miles on a car with a predicted range of 185miles.

After 3 months of driving my iX3, I am seeing a maximum range of 220 miles. I just wonder if this is related to the ongoing HV cell saga?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 04:09 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Interesting discussion. iX3 is on my list for my next vehicle.

I'm more interested in the actual consumption as you drive, the the miles per kWh. Do you guys find you actually gain miles once you are driving? Obviously subject to conditions. Thinking more of typical driving, and not too reliant on regeneration.

As an example, after driving 100 miles what's the predicted range? 100 miles less than at the start, or better/worse?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:06 AM   #18
gray1x
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting discussion. iX3 is on my list for my next vehicle.

I'm more interested in the actual consumption as you drive, the the miles per kWh. Do you guys find you actually gain miles once you are driving? Obviously subject to conditions. Thinking more of typical driving, and not too reliant on regeneration.

As an example, after driving 100 miles what's the predicted range? 100 miles less than at the start, or better/worse?
I'd say on average it's thereabouts yeah. I seem to be getting about 20 miles for every 10% and this is what it estimates.

Absolutely no idea how you get the 280 miles it quotes. I get that it's certain conditions etc but maybe they should be made to quote real world estimates ? ! ?

Edit : it's a cracking car though - my only gripe is the model I have doesn't have the 360 parking camera which my diesel X3 had
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #19
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah need to get the pro for the toys, although the 'base' model is fairly well kitted. Not sure why they even bothered with two specs though, should have just put the pro on offer for all, and met in the middle with price IMPO

Can't live without HUD and upgraded seats myself though, so pro it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I'd say on average it's thereabouts yeah. I seem to be getting about 20 miles for every 10% and this is what it estimates.

Absolutely no idea how you get the 280 miles it quotes. I get that it's certain conditions etc but maybe they should be made to quote real world estimates ? ! ?
Thanks for commenting.

Reading about pessimistic range figures, concerns me a little, as I'm wanting at least 200 miles, for the iX3 to work for me.

I understand the computer's calculated range is partly based on previous use, includes a predictive element and it also monitors settings and climatic conditions, to get to the figure. To me that's fair enough, but what I'm getting to, does it change and extend the range, (a rolling calculation) if conditions and use change along the trip?

For example, an ICE OBC uses the last few miles, on a rolling basis to evaluate and calculate the future range. You can start a trip with say 200 miles range. The first 10 or so miles drops the range far more than the mileage driven. Cold start, heating/cooling the cabin, etc.. Then as you continue, the range recovers. Depending on the drive, you can typically by say 35 miles, get back to "one mile driven, one mile drop" in range. Continue the trip and you may gain more than the miles driven, simply because energy demands are less. After 100 miles, you may be reading 125 miles range. You've gained 25 miles. Continue the next 100 miles and you gain another 20 - 25 miles.

Does the BEV do similar, heating/cooling the cabin demands more... range drops more than distance travelled? Then with the cabin at temperature and steady driving the range extends as the energy demand drops off for auxiliaries.

Clearly if you drive lots of short trips you won't get that benefit, but does it do so on long trips? Rather than the initial 200 miles prediction, you drive say 250 miles, before you are out of range.

Any feedback much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #21
gray1x
Private
Rep

It definitely recalculates on the go. I have done 2000 miles but probably not enough long journeys to get a feel for it.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #22
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Thanks for commenting.

Reading about pessimistic range figures, concerns me a little, as I'm wanting at least 200 miles, for the iX3 to work for me.

I understand the computer's calculated range is partly based on previous use, includes a predictive element and it also monitors settings and climatic conditions, to get to the figure. To me that's fair enough, but what I'm getting to, does it change and extend the range, (a rolling calculation) if conditions and use change along the trip?

For example, an ICE OBC uses the last few miles, on a rolling basis to evaluate and calculate the future range. You can start a trip with say 200 miles range. The first 10 or so miles drops the range far more than the mileage driven. Cold start, heating/cooling the cabin, etc.. Then as you continue, the range recovers. Depending on the drive, you can typically by say 35 miles, get back to "one mile driven, one mile drop" in range. Continue the trip and you may gain more than the miles driven, simply because energy demands are less. After 100 miles, you may be reading 125 miles range. You've gained 25 miles. Continue the next 100 miles and you gain another 20 - 25 miles.

Does the BEV do similar, heating/cooling the cabin demands more... range drops more than distance travelled? Then with the cabin at temperature and steady driving the range extends as the energy demand drops off for auxiliaries.

Clearly if you drive lots of short trips you won't get that benefit, but does it do so on long trips? Rather than the initial 200 miles prediction, you drive say 250 miles, before you are out of range.

Any feedback much appreciated.

The guess-o-meter remains something to approach with caution. My current longterm use is 187,8 Wh/km. This equals 5,3 km/kWh. With 75kWh available in the battery it comes down to around 400 km range. I think that is 245 miles. In wintertime I noticed about 70kWh available. That brings me to 350/365 km on 100% SoC. That is 225 miles I think?

The guess-o-meter is all over the place during driving. Today I started off with 5 km “spare”. After about 50kms it turned to 8 km “short”. This increased to 12 km “short” with headwind. Then the route turned to side-wind and i arrived home (total route 178 km) with 12 km left!

What works best for me is dividing the SoC in kWh with the longterm consumption. Correct for wind direction (when over 5Bft) and air temperature (heating uses more then cooling). This works fine for me living in a flat country and on highway routes. When driving in B-mode and in city traffic you can regain quite a lot of power in slowing/braking. In the 7 months I drive my iX3 I regained 355 kWh (ie 1800 km). On a total of 14000 driven so far not bad I think. About 10% for free.

In short: do not rely on the guess-o-meter alone. It is like driving a hybrid, the SoC goes up which is a phenomenon which is unknown to ICE’s as they cannot internally produce fuel.

PS: I took it you meant OnBoard Computer when you wrote OBC. Be aware OBC also stands for OnBoard Charger in an EV. Confusing.
Appreciate 1