BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-21-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
tc_303
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

Condensation on inside of car

I've had lots of different cars parked in the exact same spot outside my office all year round and have never had any condensation on the inside of the window screen.

I've come out of my office to the below sight today. Other cars parked beside don't have any signs on condensation.

Any idea what could be causing this? The car is clean inside, no rubbish, water bottles, dirty boots etc
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Definitely high humidity levels in the vehicle. How are you using the AC? Are you dehumidifying with the full AC function?

If you are, does looks to me that you may have a water getting into the vehicle. No idea what the weaknesses are in the G01 series for water ingress faults.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
tc_303
Private
Rep

I haven't used them too much if im honest. Did have the heating on this morning as it was cold but generally haven't been using any heating / AC in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #4
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

The way air conditioning works it compresses the air which has the unintended effect or removing moisture (humidity) from the air, so drying out the inside of your car. If you haven’t been using it, especially when he weather is damp/humid there is likely to be lots of moisture in your car. Maybe try using the pre-conditioning feature?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_303 View Post
I haven't used them too much if im honest. Did have the heating on this morning as it was cold but generally haven't been using any heating / AC in the vehicle.
Temperature swings, periods of rain, all aggravate cabin humidity. How do I know? I live in a very humid part of the glen, the meeting of two rivers just a few hundred metres away from my home. Even without any direct water ingress, AC is always beneficial through winter. Switching on and off can make it worse, you can leave the HVAC system in a wet condition. So be aware of that fact. On is really best, let it do its job every day.

I see the issue, eating into your range...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:42 AM   #6
tc_303
Private
Rep

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm a bit confused here as i'm using the AC / heating the same way i have in previous cars (1 series, 3 series touring, VW Amarok) and have never had an issue with condensation on the inside.

Maybe i'm being a bit stupid but i always used it as AC to cool the car when its hot, heating to warm it when its cold. I don't think i've ever had the AC on in the winter and i've never had this issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_303 View Post
Maybe i'm being a bit stupid but i always used it as AC to cool the car when its hot, heating to warm it when its cold. I don't think i've ever had the AC on in the winter and i've never had this issue.
I suppose it can depend on the weather pattern you've just gone through.

There is the possibility you have water ingress, not unknown in a new car.

I had a new VW Passat, which I found flooded inside after a few months of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #8
Thanis34
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Call the dealership, this is not normal nor OK. We are in a very damp period of time where I live as well and no condensation happens on the inside.

To be certain, please check that all doors were closed during the night and that the roof window was not left open.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #9
tc_303
Private
Rep

Little update on this one.

I haven't had any re occurrences of this so far, so hopefully it was just a one off after some really wet weather!
Appreciate 2