BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

EV Charger

Hi all, what ev charger you got and what do you think to it?
I’ve got a quote for a hypervolt so if anybody has the same give me your thoughts please,
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I have a rolec 7kw charger with the extra long 10m lead. It’s done the job just fine on my previous car, has an app to go along with it and is connected via a SIM card to the internet (no additional charge).

Very reasonable pricing too
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Wallbox Pulsar Pulse. Works fine to charge the car but the app/wifi connection is trash.

I got it it because it's one of the few that support Open Charge Point Protocol
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

We've got a Wallbox pulsar plus also, and I've never had any issues with the app connectivity.

The only thing I'd like is the ability to add 2 unit costs so I can accurately record my charging costs if the charge extends beyond my "cheap" hours. I requested this with wallbox and they advised it is on their development list for future release.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
GoingElectric
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

I’ve got an Ohme Home Pro on order as Octopus Energy are doing a fully installed price of £499. Charger is compatible with agile tariffs which might be useful in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:00 AM   #6
dextermcl
Rep
Drives: ix3

I went for the Zappi ... was slightly more expensive than a few others but its compatible with Solar panels so will see if it makes a difference in the summer. The guy who fitted it said he believes it to be on of the best on the market at the moment and has very little issues with them against some others.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 05:05 AM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

I also have a Zappi 2. Support is excellent. Unfortunately, the iX3 does not play nicely when charging in Eco+ mode.

If I was choosing an EVSE today, then I would probably go for one that is OCPP compatible.

PS. For FAST charging, the charge is managed by the iX3’s on board charger (OBC). The box that sits on your wall isn’t a charger in its own right.

Last edited by DaveCV; 10-26-2021 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #8
GoingElectric
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
The box that sits on your wall isn’t a charger in its own right.
Hi DaveCV could you elaborate on your last statement please? Are you saying the home charger unit is simply used as a dumb electrical output and all the smart stuff is done by the car? If so, does that mean that none of the advertised features of these home chargers have any practical benefit?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 07:05 AM   #9
GoingElectric
Rep

I had a quick read up about OCPP and I'm a little confused about the benefits for an individual consumer such as myself?

I can understand the standardisation benefits of OCPP for charger manufacturers, software developers and charging network operators, but does it directly benefit someone who just wants to charge their car at home overnight for example? Genuinely interested to understand this as I still have time to cancel my Ohme Home Pro installation and go with an alternative if OCPP is a benefit not to be overlooked. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingElectric View Post
I had a quick read up about OCPP and I'm a little confused about the benefits for an individual consumer such as myself?

I can understand the standardisation benefits of OCPP for charger manufacturers, software developers and charging network operators, but does it directly benefit someone who just wants to charge their car at home overnight for example? Genuinely interested to understand this as I still have time to cancel my Ohme Home Pro installation and go with an alternative if OCPP is a benefit not to be overlooked. TIA.
Tariffs such as Octopus Intelligent now offer cheap charging slots; however, either the car (eg; Tesla) or the EVSE needs OCPP. MyEnergi is in contact with Octopus re the possibility of updating either their hub or the Zappi 2 with OCPP.

https://octopus.energy/intelligent-faqs/

The iX3 has an on board charger which converts AC to DC with a maximum charging rate of 11kWs. The iDrive will allow you to set offpeak/delayed charging periods (eg; for Octopus Go from 0030 to 0430). In other words, there is actually no need for a smart EVSE Alternatively, an EVSE such as Zappi can charge in various modes from Eco+ (solar diversion) to FAST (7/11kWs depending on whether you have a single or 3 phase supply). The EVSE itself is just a power supply with a communications module. If delayed charging is set up in the iX3, then when the EVSE is plugged in a charge will start and then stop until the start of the delayed charging period. In this case, the iX3 will communicate with the EVSE when it wants the charge to restart. The EVSE is left on FAST charge.

Alternatively, some EVSEs such as the Zappi can be programmed via an App. For example, I can set offpeak boost periods to coincide with the cheap periods. If these set, then I leave the IDrive set up to take an immediate charge. Setting delayed charging in both the EVSE app and the car is a recipe for confusion.

The other forms of charging for the iX3 are rapid and ultra rapid DC charging. In this situation, you have a much bigger plug and the charge is initiated; monitored and stopped by the rapid charger itself.

Future EVSEs require built in demand side response so that the ‘Grid’ can reduce power at certain peak times.

Chargers such as Ohme can also access tariffs such as Octopus Agile. This was very popular a year ago but these days there are very few price plunges so EV charging becomes expensive.

Finally, and this is where it gets a bit complicated. Maximum range in Winter requires battery conditioning prior to departure. The iX3 has inbuilt settings to make this possible but it can be complicated if the EVSE App is used. For example, if I was leaving home at 7.30 am tomorrow my preference would be to leave the EVSE on FAST and then set a departure time of 0730 in the iDrive along with my delayed charge start/stop time. The battery preconditioning can start up to 3 hours prior to departure. Unless the iX3 is different to the i3 (I have yet to find out), battery conditioning has to be set up in the iDrive. The preconditioning selection in the App relates to cabin conditioning which starts about 30 minutes before departure.

Last edited by DaveCV; 10-26-2021 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #11
GoingElectric
Rep

Quote:
Tariffs such as Octopus Intelligent now offer cheap charging slots; however, either the car (eg; Tesla) or the EVSE needs OCPP. MyEnergi is in contact with Octopus re the possibility of updating either their hub or the Zappi 2 with OCPP.

https://octopus.energy/intelligent-faqs/

The iX3 has an on board charger which converts AC to DC with a maximum charging rate of 11kWs. The iDrive will allow you to set offpeak/delayed charging periods (eg; for Octopus Go from 0030 to 0430). In other words, there is actually no need for a smart EVSE Alternatively, an EVSE such as Zappi can charge in various modes from Eco+ (solar diversion) to FAST (7/11kWs depending on whether you have a single or 3 phase supply). The EVSE itself is just a power supply with a communications module. If delayed charging is set up in the iX3, then when the EVSE is plugged in a charge will start and then stop until the start of the delayed charging period. In this case, the iX3 will communicate with the EVSE when it wants the charge to restart. The EVSE is left on FAST charge.

Alternatively, some EVSEs such as the Zappi can be programmed via an App. For example, I can set offpeak boost periods to coincide with the cheap periods. If these set, then I leave the IDrive set up to take an immediate charge. Setting delayed charging in both the EVSE app and the car is a recipe for confusion.

The other forms of charging for the iX3 are rapid and ultra rapid DC charging. In this situation, you have a much bigger plug and the charge is initiated; monitored and stopped by the rapid charger itself.

Future EVSEs require built in demand side response so that the ‘Grid’ can reduce power at certain peak times.

Chargers such as Ohme can also access tariffs such as Octopus Agile. This was very popular a year ago but these days there are very few price plunges so EV charging becomes expensive.

Finally, and this is where it gets a bit complicated. Maximum range in Winter requires battery conditioning prior to departure. The iX3 has inbuilt settings to make this possible but it can be complicated if the EVSE App is used. For example, if I was leaving home at 7.30 am tomorrow my preference would be to leave the EVSE on FAST and then set a departure time of 0730 in the iDrive along with my delayed charge start/stop time. The battery preconditioning can start up to 3 hours prior to departure. Unless the iX3 is different to the i3 (I have yet to find out), battery conditioning has to be set up in the iDrive. The preconditioning selection in the App relates to cabin conditioning which starts about 30 minutes before departure.
Many thanks for taking the time to reply so comprehensively. The main take away for me is to control the charging from the car rather than from the charger so as to make use of features such as battery preconditioning. So with that in mind I guess I could just go for a basic 7kw charging point (I don't have 3 phase), but given the Ohme Home Pro installation is only £499 all in, I don't think I'll find much cheaper anyway, so I'll probably stick with it. The Ohme seems like a decent looking charger aesthetically at least.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingElectric View Post
Many thanks for taking the time to reply so comprehensively. The main take away for me is to control the charging from the car rather than from the charger so as to make use of features such as battery preconditioning. So with that in mind I guess I could just go for a basic 7kw charging point (I don't have 3 phase), but given the Ohme Home Pro installation is only £499 all in, I don't think I'll find much cheaper anyway, so I'll probably stick with it. The Ohme seems like a decent looking charger aesthetically at least.
In the 7 years that I owned EVs, I have had 2 Rolecs and now a Zappi. The only comment that I make is that the ability to access the various components in an EVSE can be useful. Rolecs, for example, have had some issues with the RCBO and the comms module. Both of these key components are easily changed by any competent electrician. I have no idea how accessible the components in an Ohme Home Pro are? The other thing to think about is technical support. For example, MyEnergi had an issue on Sunday when GMT came a week early. They rolled out a firmware update early yesterday evening.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
GoingElectric
Rep

Quote:
In the 7 years that I owned EVs, I have had 2 Rolecs and now a Zappi. The only comment that I make is that the ability to access the various components in an EVSE can be useful. Rolecs, for example, have had some issues with the RCBO and the comms module. Both of these key components are easily changed by any competent electrician. I have no idea how accessible the components in an Ohme Home Pro are? The other thing to think about is technical support. For example, MyEnergi had an issue on Sunday when GMT came a week early. They rolled out a firmware update early yesterday evening.
The Ohme Home Pro is a sealed unit. Given its a brand-new model there aren't many reviews of it online; however, I did see a couple of YouTube videos where the reviewers seemed to think that was a good thing as it reduces the likelihood of water ingress which is apparently an issue with several other EVSEs.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #14
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I've got a pod point on order, but so far they are a terrible company to work with, paid a grand 3 weeks ago (don't get the grant) and so far even though I stated I don't get or want the grant all I've had through is grant documents, rang them Monday last week, and they were apparently organising an installer, still heard nothing... For a company that wants to trade on the stock exchange I worry for them!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #15
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
I've got a pod point on order, but so far they are a terrible company to work with, paid a grand 3 weeks ago (don't get the grant) and so far even though I stated I don't get or want the grant all I've had through is grant documents, rang them Monday last week, and they were apparently organising an installer, still heard nothing... For a company that wants to trade on the stock exchange I worry for them!
I did a fair bit of research before I plumped for a hypervolt & I have to say podpoint was close to bottom of my list & they are owned by EDF. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:57 AM   #16
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

I went with the Sync EV, it is very small and inconspicuous. It was cheaper than a lot of chargers and doesn't need an earth rod installed. It comes with a pretty decent App that allows you to set prefered charging times, the power delivered during charge etc etc etc. Haven't used it yet obviously but hope to soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #17
SiH1970
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
I went with the Sync EV, it is very small and inconspicuous. It was cheaper than a lot of chargers and doesn't need an earth rod installed. It comes with a pretty decent App that allows you to set prefered charging times, the power delivered during charge etc etc etc. Haven't used it yet obviously but hope to soon.
I’m having the Sync EV installed on Thursday. Would be nice to have a car to attach to it at some stage!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 03:22 AM   #18
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I have a M40i, but a Honda e for town driving. I had a Hive charger fitted by British Gas. Was pretty straight forward, the only issue that i had was I wanted it on the garage which required the cable to be buried 9 ft, for which BG external contractors wanted £4000.
In the end i put it on the side of the house and use a longer charging cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:30 AM   #19
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIB View Post
I have a M40i, but a Honda e for town driving. I had a Hive charger fitted by British Gas. Was pretty straight forward, the only issue that i had was I wanted it on the garage which required the cable to be buried 9 ft, for which BG external contractors wanted £4000.
In the end i put it on the side of the house and use a longer charging cable.
I don't know the details of course but would question BG advising the cable should be 9ft underground, that is way more than the recommended depth for a steel wired armoured cable. (A swa cable needs to be buried at a sufficient depth to avoid damage due to disturbance of the ground (Regulation 522.8. 10). Whilst BS 7671 does not state a minimum depth, the generally recognised depth of a buried cable to prevent disturbance is 600 mm.)

Of course it dosent matter now seeing that you have found another solution however wanted to put this out there so no one else gets hoodwinked by BG
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 04:58 AM   #20
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't know the details of course but would question BG advising the cable should be 9ft underground, that is way more than the recommended depth for a steel wired armoured cable. (A swa cable needs to be buried at a sufficient depth to avoid damage due to disturbance of the ground (Regulation 522.8. 10). Whilst BS 7671 does not state a minimum depth, the generally recognised depth of a buried cable to prevent disturbance is 600 mm.)

Of course it dosent matter now seeing that you have found another solution however wanted to put this out there so no one else gets hoodwinked by BG
I have cables that run underground to my garage for my EVSE and PW2 and no one suggested that it needed to be 9ft deep. I am pretty sure that the 11000 volt mains cable that runs across the same piece of land isn’t that deep.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:43 AM   #21
FMIB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

To clarify, buried a distance of 9ft from the house to the garage, not 9ft deep. Depth specified is 450mm.
I would have considered this as a half day job, 1 day at most. Trunking would have beed a couple of £, the quotes were a joke
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 05:49 AM   #22
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIB View Post
To clarify, buried a distance of 9ft from the house to the garage, not 9ft deep. Depth specified is 450mm.
I would have considered this as a half day job, 1 day at most. Trunking would have beed a couple of £, the quotes were a joke
Agreed, whatever way you look at it the quote was way to expensive
Appreciate 0