bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

10-31-2021, 03:14 PM   #1
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

PPF on Door Handles

I had my car fully PPF'd and the detail shop has done such an amazing job. You cant tell the car is wrapped at all, no seams whatsoever. When I brought it home I was inspecting the work and it took me a while to realize the door handles did not have any PPF on them. Took it back to the shop and they said XPEL does not have a template for door handles, however they can create a custom wrap but seams will be visible due to the curvature.

For those who have applied PPF to their door handles can you please post some close up pics so I can show the shop how it's done?

I'm confident they are capable of wrapping it just want some ideas of what would be the best method.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I'd be mainly concerned about the concave area of the door behind the handle; that's where careless fingernails tend to scratch the paint (especially passengers). I'd be fine with the handle itself left uncovered. If something were to chip or scratch it, it'd be a fairly easy respray or replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I'd be mainly concerned about the concave area of the door behind the handle; that's where careless fingernails tend to scratch the paint (especially passengers). I'd be fine with the handle itself left uncovered. If something were to chip or scratch it, it'd be a fairly easy respray or replacement.
That part is already covered behind the door handle. I've seen scratches on the handles on previous cars and would like to protect it if I could.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Im dropping mine off on the 9th, and Im getting a complete custom install done. The detailer doesnt use templates, the whole car is custom cut and covered. They will be removing the door handles, and PPF'ng the whole outer skin of the door, in once piece, then wrapping it around the back of the door. The way the door handles are explained to me, is, hes only wrapping the front of the handle, there is a line in the handle that separates the front of the handle, from the back touchpad, only the front of the handle is getting wrapped, on my setup.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Im dropping mine off on the 9th, and Im getting a complete custom install done. The detailer doesnt use templates, the whole car is custom cut and covered.
I'm curious: Why not use templates? Isn't a custom cut a lot more labor-intensive (and potentially error-prone)? These cars are built to very tight tolerances...I can't imagine a template (if properly measured/cut) isn't good enough.
      10-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
M_Adaptive
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 2022 G82 M4 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
I'm curious: Why not use templates? Isn't a custom cut a lot more labor-intensive (and potentially error-prone)? These cars are built to very tight tolerances...I can't imagine a template (if properly measured/cut) isn't good enough.
Depending on the installer, they will custom cut film to better hide any seams that may normally show. Some ppf installs only cover the panel and don’t extend around the panel leaving a clear line. Custom installs will wrap around the panel to completely hide the seam so you can’t tell it was wrapped even if you looked closely for it.
2022 G82 M4C Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Im dropping mine off on the 9th, and Im getting a complete custom install done. The detailer doesnt use templates, the whole car is custom cut and covered. They will be removing the door handles, and PPF'ng the whole outer skin of the door, in once piece, then wrapping it around the back of the door. The way the door handles are explained to me, is, hes only wrapping the front of the handle, there is a line in the handle that separates the front of the handle, from the back touchpad, only the front of the handle is getting wrapped, on my setup.
That's interesting. All the templates used by XPEL were customized for the M3. The door, hood, fenders, bumpers, etc... are fully wrapped. The edges are all tucked behind the panels. Places where they are not able to tuck (ex. the roof) the seam go all the way to the edge so it's hard to tell if there is a seam or not.

What brand film are they using?

The way they explained it to me was the entire front of the door handle will be wrapped, the red lines in the image below is where the seam would be. I'm okay with that, but wanted to see if there was a way to avoid that. My other alternative was these carbon fiber door handles... https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...rim-set-g80-m3
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln14100.50
      10-31-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly what M_Adaptive eluded to. They cut and tuck everything. The A-Pillars are tucked into the rubber door seals. The roof rails are removed and the carbon roof gets wrapped and the pillars and the roof are wrap are tucked into the roof rail seam, and snap the roof rails back on. Headlights, and tail lights come out, and the wrap is tucked into the fender. The grill slats are also covered, as well as the rear diffuser fins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post

What brand film are they using?
STek DynoShield

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 10-31-2021 at 07:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
M_Adaptive1777.50
      10-31-2021, 08:47 PM   #9
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

OK... but if the templates had the extra buffer along the edges to allow wrapping/tucking, then the end result should be the same, right?
      10-31-2021, 09:11 PM   #10
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK... but if the templates had the extra buffer along the edges to allow wrapping/tucking, then the end result should be the same, right?
I believe you can add the extra in the program, not sure its automatic. All I know is, these guys do some of the best work in the area, and theyre pretty much famous for the cars they do around here.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #11
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I believe you can add the extra in the program, not sure its automatic. All I know is, these guys do some of the best work in the area, and theyre pretty much famous for the cars they do around here.
The templates have extra which can be trimmed if it's excessive, it's automatically programmed in.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:19 PM   #12
bmw noob
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 Comp x-drive

Garage List
Not saying anything about a particular installer...but many "long time" or "old school" guys use no template as a badge of honor and almost an excise to charge more (look how good I am, i don't need no stinking computer). This is as true for window tint as it is PPF.

That said, some guys are so good it doesn't matter. Also, the large scale template cutters are very expensive, so maybe it's not worth it for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:46 PM   #13
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

My car is fully wrapped including the door handles, message me and I can give you my installers info and you can contact him and find out how he did the handles im sure he has up close photos of it too.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #14
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

when ppl do the stealth wrap, they aren't leaving the door handles glossy…
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #15
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's the photos of the door handles, you can't even tell it's there I think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iviegatron2623.00
      11-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #16
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
Appreciate the pics. Exactly what I was looking for. Is the PPF only applied on the front face of the door handle?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate the pics. Exactly what I was looking for. Is the PPF only applied on the front face of the door handle?
I'm assuming it's on the inside too since that's a area that gets a lot of scratches from hands.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
iviegatron2623.00
      11-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #18
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm assuming it's on the inside too since that's a area that gets a lot of scratches from hands.
Thank you. These pics are very helpful.
Appreciate 1
Nkr151134.00
      11-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #19
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 992 Carrera T

Quote:
My other alternative was these carbon fiber door handles... https://autotecknic.com/products/aut...rim-set-g80-m3
That actually looks good depending on the color of your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #20
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

Quote:
I had my car fully PPF'd and the detail shop has done such an amazing job. You cant tell the car is wrapped at all, no seams whatsoever. When I brought it home I was inspecting the work and it took me a while to realize the door handles did not have any PPF on them. Took it back to the shop and they said XPEL does not have a template for door handles, however they can create a custom wrap but seams will be visible due to the curvature.

For those who have applied PPF to their door handles can you please post some close up pics so I can show the shop how it's done?

I'm confident they are capable of wrapping it just want some ideas of what would be the best method.

I dropped off my car off this morning at Auto Armour. https://autoarmour.com/. When i get the car back I will take a few pictures of the door handles.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:16 PM   #21
djpapeleta
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83

Anyone figure out how to remove the door handle yet. I need to take my car back to rewrap the door since my installer wrapped around the door handle and I do not like the look.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #22
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpapeleta View Post
Anyone figure out how to remove the door handle yet. I need to take my car back to rewrap the door since my installer wrapped around the door handle and I do not like the look.
This is how...

Appreciate 0