E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > AC Condensate Drain - access from inside the car?

11-08-2021, 06:44 AM   #1
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

AC Condensate Drain - access from inside the car?

I am trying to find out if it is possible to access the aircon condensate drain from inside the car at all (without taking the dash out!)? It's a 2011 E90 320D M Sport. I'm sure its blocked as I'm getting a bad smell from the blowers after previously using the aircon, and the windscreen instantly fogs up. I can see no drops under the car after driving with the aircon on, or after being parked up with the aircon running, so I'm sure the drain is blocked.

If it's only accessible from under the car, is it possible to get to it on the driveway with the car on axle stands, after removing the splash tray? I've looked up the part number of the rubber drain so I know what I'm looking for, but wondered if anyone who had tackled this before could offer any advice on exact location. If I can unblock the drain, I can follow one of the threads I found on here about flushing it through, including the evaporator, to get rid of bacteria etc which should sort the smell out. With a clear drain and turning aircon off a few minutes before getting home, to let the vents etc dry out, I can hopefully stop it getting bad again.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
jwilalex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 318i LCI SE Business Edn

I just leave the A/C on permanently and its set to Auto. The car does it's thing, the temp is maintained whether up or down and I've never had any sort of issue at all in the last 15 years of BMW ownership over a couple of different cars. It makes no difference at all to the running costs/MPG leaving it on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

I leave mine on all the time too, year round. You don't need to stop the AC before the end of your journey to let it dry out. Just keep it running all the time.

You can acces the end of the pipes from under the car, but I don't think you can access them higher up as they are buried in the dash.
Appreciate 0