BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Fendt1050
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Zappi charger advice required

Hi,

My new premier ix3 lands tomorrow after a short wait.

I'm after some advice from anyone using a zappi home charger if at all possible please?

1/ Do you set the charge time on the car or the charger?
2/ what settings do you use for a over nite scheduled charge
3/ any other advice?

Many thanks 👍👍
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Either should work, might be easier on the app for zappi though, especially if it's using octopus's api for the timing etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Zappi 2 here. Car doesn't arrive until Monday but I have spent way too much time lookong into this!

Set car to charge immediately and leave it like that all the time (you need this at public charge points anyway).

Have Zappi on eco but set boost for your preferred charge hours/time.

If you then just plug in and lock the car, the charge will kick in as soon as the Zappi fires up for the boost. Job done!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah, it's the way I'd do it too, it's annoying getting to a public charger like tesco and whatnot, going shopping to come back and realise you haven't told it to charge as the timer was on.

Last edited by the_ape; 11-12-2021 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #5
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fendt1050 View Post
Hi,

My new premier ix3 lands tomorrow after a short wait.

I'm after some advice from anyone using a zappi home charger if at all possible please?

1/ Do you set the charge time on the car or the charger?
2/ what settings do you use for a over nite scheduled charge
3/ any other advice?

Many thanks 👍👍

From experience:
Leave the car on immediate charging. Control timed charging from Myenergi App.
I made the mistake to use the timed charging om the car, but when you connect for public charging you need to change settings. When you forget to change there is no charge at all!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
Fendt1050
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw ix3

Many thanks for the advice...
It's much appreciated 👍👌
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Bear in mind that as Winter begins, you will need to think about battery preconditioning. My experience with the i3 is that this is best done by leaving the Zappi on Fast and then setting charging times in the car along with a departure time.

Doing it on the Zappi requires two boost periods which is a bit of a faff IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 02:24 AM   #8
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Bear in mind that as Winter begins, you will need to think about battery preconditioning. My experience with the i3 is that this is best done by leaving the Zappi on Fast and then setting charging times in the car along with a departure time.

Doing it on the Zappi requires two boost periods which is a bit of a faff IMO.
Not sure about the Zappi but the Sync EV has a keep awake function. To conserve power, some electric vehicles go into standby mode if no communication has been made between you and the vehicle for a while. This means that if your EV doesn’t detect any current, the onboard charger will go into standby mode and prevent any charge from being received. To stop this from happening, Sync EVs use pulse charging to send a small current to your vehicle which keeps the onboard charger awake until it’s time to charge at full power at your set schedule time.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 06:04 AM   #9
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Did a timed charge using the boost timer on our zappi for the first time last night (car set to charge immediately)....car was parked, plugged in and locked about 7 hours before charge kicked in. All worked fine.

I hadn't thought about battery preconditioning before departure, so I guess ours has been doing it using the 'main' vehicle battery. Hmmm
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud78 View Post
Did a timed charge using the boost timer on our zappi for the first time last night (car set to charge immediately)....car was parked, plugged in and locked about 7 hours before charge kicked in. All worked fine.

I hadn't thought about battery preconditioning before departure, so I guess ours has been doing it using the 'main' vehicle battery. Hmmm
I have looked again at all the manuals and I now believe that BMW hasn’t bothered with battery conditioning for the iX3 pre departure. The departure time now relates solely to cabin conditioning. If I am correct, it will be interesting to see how much range is lost on a very cold day. On the original i3 it could be more than 20%.

After 6 years of driving just EVs , I have got myself into the mindset of thinking that all EVs would have battery conditioning (heating and cooling).

Last edited by DaveCV; 11-17-2021 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:52 AM   #11
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
I have looked again at all the manuals and I now believe that BMW hasn’t bothered with battery conditioning for the iX3 pre departure. The departure time now relates solely to cabin conditioning. If I am correct, it will be interesting to see how much range is lost on a very cold day. On the original i3 it could be more than 20%.

After 6 years of driving just EVs , I have got myself into the mindset of thinking that all EVs would have battery conditioning (heating and cooling).
As far as I have been able to work out you are correct, the preheating is for the cabin only. I have used this function quite a few times and haven't seen any substantial drain on the battery SoC, it does run for about 30 mins which I believe is too long and I have also noticed that it doesn't start until 15 mins before my set departure time.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      11-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
As far as I have been able to work out you are correct, the preheating is for the cabin only. I have used this function quite a few times and haven't seen any substantial drain on the battery SoC, it does run for about 30 mins which I believe is too long and I have also noticed that it doesn't start until 15 mins before my set departure time.
https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/22...he-ix3-and-i3/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 02:54 AM   #13
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
Not quite the same thing as battery conditioning pre-departure. The i3’s BMS can be set to warm/cool the battery to an optimum temperature prior to a planned departure. The process can take up to 3 hours and it makes a significant difference to the i3’s overall range. What the modification in the article is doing is optimising the battery to take on an ultrafast charge of up to 150kWs.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Not quite the same thing as battery conditioning pre-departure. The i3’s BMS can be set to warm/cool the battery to an optimum temperature prior to a planned departure. The process can take up to 3 hours and it makes a significant difference to the i3’s overall range. What the modification in the article is doing is optimising the battery to take on an ultrafast charge of up to 150kWs.
Indeed, but if they are enabling predictive thermal management I’d expect departure planning to be possible in here somewhere too
Appreciate 0