BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
MATR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Considering the ix3 but…

… I can't help worrying about the range and fear if it will hurt the resale value.

The model y, id4, q4 and even skoda is above 500km of range and with the bimmer coming in at 460 it hurts a bit to pay so much more.

I have a x30e now and I love it. And I would prefer going for the bmw as I just love the way it handles and how the interior feels.

Do you have the same thoughts and what about owners, did you have any regrets with regard to range?

Could bmw be adding more range to this model before the next update ?

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Watch bjorn's YouTube channel, they are all about the same, all down to how the range is predicted etc. But not much between them all. Besides the Y that is, the lr y has better range
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

They are all pretty long range, not like it only does 150 miles. More of a factor will be how the battery holds up a few years down the line ����
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 04:01 AM   #4
MATR
Private
Rep

I agree with you that they are much a like in a 1000 km challenge.

The range in the first charge is however a little worse on the ix3. This means more often you would have to charge on a trip where the model y doesn't have too.

However the Y is a lot better with range. I just think it's to harsh in the ride.

What do you think about resale value in 5 years. Do you think the ix3 will suffer from being the one with shorter range?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 04:36 AM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATR View Post
… I can't help worrying about the range and fear if it will hurt the resale value.

The model y, id4, q4 and even skoda is above 500km of range and with the bimmer coming in at 460 it hurts a bit to pay so much more.

I have a x30e now and I love it. And I would prefer going for the bmw as I just love the way it handles and how the interior feels.

Do you have the same thoughts and what about owners, did you have any regrets with regard to range?

Could bmw be adding more range to this model before the next update ?

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks.
There is a lot more between the vehicles than an 8% difference in quoted (not necessarily real world) range. They are all completely different.

A friend has two Teslas. He loves their minimalist feel. Whereas I hate having to search through menus on a touch screen to flip between different sets of controls. I like having the audio and heater controls available all the time on the dash.

The BMW is designed to appeal to a more traditional car buyer who wants to go electric.

And it is impossible to tell what the effect will be on the resale value. As somebody else said, it is down to the range available in 3 or 4 years time, which nobody will know until we get there.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 05:07 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:

Also, are you really comparing like with like?

The Q4 is in the same luxury category as the iX3. With the Q4, the only models that hit the 500km quoted range are the 35 or 40 models. And they are much lower performance than the iX3. The Q4 e-tron 50 has a similar performance to the iX3. It's WLTP range is only 5% higher than the iX3, but the real world range on ev-database is showing the same.

As I mentioned in my other post, the Tesla is very different. And would probably appeal less to an iX3 buyer. Build quality has been said to be questionable.

Nothing in the ID4 range comes close to the iX3 on either build quality or performance. The extra weight from the better build quality will affect range, as will the more powerful motors.

And with the Skodas, they are on a par for quality with VW in my opinion; good but not up there with BMW and Audi. Although they have the performance and range. They are not as well equipped as the iX3. When I added similar options to the iX3 on the Skoda website, the price jumped from £43k to £53k!

The question is what are you looking for in a car.

I have owned some nice cars over the years. Two days into ownership of my iX3, it is up there with the best; a proper luxury motor with all the features. Certainly streets ahead of the Fords and VWs that I have owned in the past, and on a par with the Porsche and Audi! I've not been a BMW admirer in the past - but this is probably the best car I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
MATR
Private
Rep

I really like this comment. Thanks!

I agree with a lot of your points.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Also, are you really comparing like with like?

The Q4 is in the same luxury category as the iX3. With the Q4, the only models that hit the 500km quoted range are the 35 or 40 models. And they are much lower performance than the iX3. The Q4 e-tron 50 has a similar performance to the iX3. It's WLTP range is only 5% higher than the iX3, but the real world range on ev-database is showing the same.

As I mentioned in my other post, the Tesla is very different. And would probably appeal less to an iX3 buyer. Build quality has been said to be questionable.

Nothing in the ID4 range comes close to the iX3 on either build quality or performance. The extra weight from the better build quality will affect range, as will the more powerful motors.

And with the Skodas, they are on a par for quality with VW in my opinion; good but not up there with BMW and Audi. Although they have the performance and range. They are not as well equipped as the iX3. When I added similar options to the iX3 on the Skoda website, the price jumped from £43k to £53k!

The question is what are you looking for in a car.

I have owned some nice cars over the years. Two days into ownership of my iX3, it is up there with the best; a proper luxury motor with all the features. Certainly streets ahead of the Fords and VWs that I have owned in the past, and on a par with the Porsche and Audi! I've not been a BMW admirer in the past - but this is probably the best car I have owned.
Agreed, just done my first CCS charge to test it out, was at 37% soc, and had driven 162miles, so if you extrapolate that out there's about another 90ish miles range left so 240-250 is possible fairly simply I'd think with some careful driving and even as I have been (remember as soc goes down, so does voltage and ampage in the cell pack so not as efficient) I'd recon 220ish would be easy, 10% soc left.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:58 AM   #9
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IX3

Quote:
I agree with you that they are much a like in a 1000 km challenge.

The range in the first charge is however a little worse on the ix3. This means more often you would have to charge on a trip where the model y doesn't have too.

However the Y is a lot better with range. I just think it's to harsh in the ride.

What do you think about resale value in 5 years. Do you think the ix3 will suffer from being the one with shorter range?
Let's face it in 5 years time there would definitely have been some great improvements in EV batteries and there will be many vehicles being released with longer range, however this is no different to ICE vehicles. There will always be advances in technology which will make older vehicles less attractive and therefore have an impact on resale price however as said before this is not specific to EV's and certainly not just the IX3, other marques will be impacted similarly.
In my opinion if you look at what you get with the IX3 it is definitely one of the best luxury electric SAV's out there.

Have you had a test drive in the Audi, Tesla, IX3?
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 05:27 AM   #10
GoingElectric
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
In my opinion if you look at what you get with the IX3 it is definitely one of the best luxury electric SAV's out there.

Have you had a test drive in the Audi, Tesla, IX3?
From a leasing perspective, the iX3 offers really good value if you like all the bells and whistles on your car, in terms of equipment and features. The main reason being that almost every item that BMW would usually charge for as individual factory options or option packs are included as standard. I tried configuring the Audi Q4 Etron, Jag iPace, Merc EQC with a similar spec to the iX3 M Sport Pro and each was between £200-400 more per month. Even the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 were slightly more expensive, and whilst those cars are quite interesting, I couldn't choose them for the poorer interior material quality and finish. So overall I couldn't agree more with iX3 Vines that pound for pound the iX3 is currently the best in its class.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #11
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I agree from a leasing perspective the IX3 cannot be beaten. The Audi Q4 only competes with the IX3 with the 50 model which 4 wheel drive and is way more expensive to lease. It cannot be compared to the IX3 as its falls in the lower category. Audi e tron 50 is more comparable but again range is very poor. For comparison I would say Audi e tron 50, Jag iPace, and the Mercedes EQC are the nearest comparable. I have the pro edition and don't regret getting it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 02:27 AM   #12
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAV64 View Post
I agree from a leasing perspective the IX3 cannot be beaten. The Audi Q4 only competes with the IX3 with the 50 model which 4 wheel drive and is way more expensive to lease. It cannot be compared to the IX3 as its falls in the lower category. Audi e tron 50 is more comparable but again range is very poor. For comparison I would say Audi e tron 50, Jag iPace, and the Mercedes EQC are the nearest comparable. I have the pro edition and don't regret getting it.
Totally agree, and would add that I have been on this forum for some time now and seen a lot of people recieve their IX3's and I haven't seen any owners that are disappointed with their choice. That's testament in itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:04 AM   #13
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Had it 3 months and love it. My only gripe is I don't have the overhead parking view that my Diesel X3 had but that's just being spoiled at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 06:26 AM   #14
SiH1970
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Had mine 24hrs now and totally love it!!! Performance, exterior look, cabin quality all superb. Wasn’t keen on the wheels a few months back, they have really grown on me too.

Going to try my home charger in a moment. On 84% but keen to get first bit of charging under my belt (pathetic really!!!).

Last edited by SiH1970; 11-16-2021 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:00 AM   #15
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hehehe, welcome to the club 😊
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 02:19 AM   #16
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiH1970 View Post
Had mine 24hrs now and totally love it!!! Performance, exterior look, cabin quality all superb. Wasn’t keen on the wheels a few months back, they have really grown on me too.

Going to try my home charger in a moment. On 84% but keen to get first bit of charging under my belt (pathetic really!!!).
Hi SiH1970 happy to see your car has arrived and you are enjoying your purchase, personally I couldn't be happier and currently like a kid with a new toy looking for any excuse to go out in the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 04:12 AM   #17
SiH1970
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IX3 Vines View Post
Hi SiH1970 happy to see your car has arrived and you are enjoying your purchase, personally I couldn't be happier and currently like a kid with a new toy looking for any excuse to go out in the car.
Thanks IX3 Vines, I’m certainly sharing your enthusiasm. Whilst I am a born and bred Surrey boy I live in beautiful Yorkshire these days otherwise I would have responded positively to your IX3 South meeting idea!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:54 AM   #18
IX3 Vines
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiH1970 View Post
Thanks IX3 Vines, I’m certainly sharing your enthusiasm. Whilst I am a born and bred Surrey boy I live in beautiful Yorkshire these days otherwise I would have responded positively to your IX3 South meeting idea!!!
You should have some great opportunity of pictures of your car with amazing scenery and backdrops.
Appreciate 0