BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #1
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

Anyone Got Digital Key Working with iPhone?

App says I can do it. BMW seem to say I can do it. Brand new iPhone 13 Pro latest OS, fails every time. The little credit sized key card in the car worked fine.

Anyone got it working?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Is this only on the Pro version?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 09:17 AM   #3
Colh68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
Is this only on the Pro version?
I'm not 100% but I think you need comfort access and that is only on Pro?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colh68 View Post
I'm not 100% but I think you need comfort access and that is only on Pro?
I'm trying to find 9ut how to do it with android 12,samsung have it in their a12 firmware, but think it's S Korea only at the moment.

Sent message to bmw UK to see what they say though, as the phone is offering me the ability, but needs a version of the bmw app with it to complete the handshake.

Aah well. But think it's a pro only feature.

Do the non pro's come with the little black card that's a key as well?

Name:  Screenshot_20211119-161911_Samsung Pass.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  48.9 KBName:  Screenshot_20211119-161917_Samsung Pass.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  24.5 KB

Last edited by the_ape; 11-19-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
Colh68
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
I'm trying to find 9ut how to do it with android 12,samsung have it in their a12 firmware, but think it's S Korea only at the moment.

Sent message to bmw UK to see what they say though, as the phone is offering me the ability, but needs a version of the bmw app with it to complete the handshake.

Aah well. But think it's a pro only feature.

Do the non pro's come with the little black card that's a key as well?
The link I got from BMW Connected Drive (https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html) seems to indicate it's Apple only currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah, but been announced that both Google and Samsung are doing it as well, announced a while ago, and works in South Korea on Samsung already, but android 12 has been out less than a week on the s21 ultra so may take a little bit I think.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/202...es-update.html

Be useful, but I'll wait, uwb keys are going to be the next step, and the current physical key has it already, so makes sense the enable it in the phones that have it etc.

Last edited by the_ape; 11-19-2021 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #7
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
App says I can do it. BMW seem to say I can do it. Brand new iPhone 13 Pro latest OS, fails every time. The little credit sized key card in the car worked fine.

Anyone got it working?
Mine is working fine. Dealer helped setting it up.

Only thing worthwhile knowing is to hold the phone INSIDE the door handle and not just near the handle.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
thecork
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Quote:

Anyone got it working?

Only thing worthwhile knowing is to hold the phone INSIDE the door handle and not just near the handle.
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone got it working?

My issue is with getting it added to the phone in the first place, it just errors.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #9
RoosDK
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3, 2021

Quote:
Quote:

Anyone got it working?

Just set it up today, after reading this thread. Went easy enough, followed the instructions in the MyBMW app, and ended up with both fobs and my iPhone (12 pro) placed on the reader/charging pad.

I do not have to hold the phone inside the handle though, it works fine if I place the top of the phone near the right side of the door handle, with the back of the phone towards the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #10
thecork
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosDK View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone got it working?

Just set it up today, after reading this thread. Went easy enough, followed the instructions in the MyBMW app, and ended up with both fobs and my iPhone (12 pro) placed on the reader/charging pad.

I do not have to hold the phone inside the handle though, it works fine if I place the top of the phone near the right side of the door handle, with the back of the phone towards the car.
Update to my dilemma. I tried setting my phone (13 pro max) as the main key, and it went through fine, and then shared to my wife's (13 pro) and it also added. Weird that it wouldn't work the other way round but glad I got it sorted. Next frustration, when adding the key to an Apple Watch, it doesn't recognise this as the same key as the iPhone one, therefor profile isn't auto-assigned when using Apple Watch and of course you can only assign one digital key per profile 🙄
Appreciate 0