BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Badfly
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ix3

Angry Car Still in storage since 4th October

Ordered car very early in 2021, arrived UK 4th October and initially given delivery date 25th October, then 8th November and now end November. Rang BMW today and there is no way the car is arriving then, still in storage with technical recall awaiting parts with absolutely no idea when parts will arrive. New delivery date is , we are sorry but we can’t give you a delivery date. Absolutely disgraceful service from BMW… just wondered if anyone else us in the same boat, or did you actually get yours after xxxx weeks following the technical stop on delivery.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
dextermcl
Rep
Drives: ix3

My car is exactly the same ... arrived early October and sitting on a technical hold in a compound since. I'm very close to cancelling now out of principle .. Bmw won't care less but they don't seem to care anyway. The complaints team who apparently represent the CEO of BMW UK know less than this forum
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
Adamsk1881
Rep
Drives: BMW ix3

Just had a call to say mine has been released and is being delivered to me on the 15th December. I was told it had been in UK since September.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
Adeefc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 318i Sport

I was in the same position, ordered April, arrived Oct 1st… delivery date kept moving backwards. I have now cancelled and joined the back of the queue for an m sport.

Awful service / communication / treatment of customers.

If your car is deemed to be impacted and due the hv replacement there is no way they will be getting them out in December (in my eyes). As the parts are seemingly on a boat somewhere with no ETA, never mind their ability carry out the repair.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
Badfly
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Adeefc thanks for letting me know about the batteries. Actually what they told you was none sense, of course they can fly the batteries, but they will be classified as dangerous goods due to lithium content and so very expensive to do. It’s a commercial decision to ship by sea not air freight. I know as we ship batteries with high lithium content by air freight in order to meet customer demand from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Technically might not be able to fly them, as most flights allow only a few cells together, these packs have hundreds of cells together, so may be very expensive and chartered just for that one purpose etc.

Although I do feel for people that have the problem
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #7
Adeefc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 318i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfly View Post
Adeefc thanks for letting me know about the batteries. Actually what they told you was none sense, of course they can fly the batteries, but they will be classified as dangerous goods due to lithium content and so very expensive to do. It's a commercial decision to ship by sea not air freight. I know as we ship batteries with high lithium content by air freight in order to meet customer demand from time to time.
Yeah I can imagine, as there is not much they have told me over the past three months or so has made much sense, lies and avoidance seem to be the way they operate, until you really force the issue then they give you a little bit.

Hopefully yours gets resolved soon. 🙏🏻
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:40 AM   #8
Badfly
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

IATA LBSR state cargo plane only, special packaging/ labelling and max weight per package 32Kgs with less than 30% charge for batteries not contained within equipment.

It’s expensive due to the insurance and special packaging requirements, but perfectly doable, obviously sea freight is preferred by every manufacturer as it’s much cheaper and less onerous documentation requirements, it’s a commercial decision… you can see what influenced BMW here, and it wasn’t customer service.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfly View Post
IATA LBSR state cargo plane only, special packaging/ labelling and max weight per package 32Kgs with less than 30% charge for batteries not contained within equipment.
I’m not sure what the BMW battery weighs. But the Tesla ones are circa 500kg. So I’m guessing it would be in excess of the 32kg per package, necessitating shipping by sea.
Appreciate 0