BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-03-2021, 12:23 PM   #1
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Android digital key

Android digital keys now working, as long as you have an s21 or pixel 6 device

S20ultra and Pixel 6XL support UWB (proximity and direction) like the real keys as well.

Remember to start the car you need to have the phone in the charge slot area.

To activate you need both physical keys, and then settings, doors, activate digital key, pop phone in, and on the s21 Samsun Pass launches and you go through the process, sure its similar on pixel 6 (different software though)

Just thought I'd mention.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/12/01/b...l-key-android/
      12-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #2
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Only on the premier Pro version though ?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:36 AM   #3
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, perhaps, doesn't say, does the Premier have the black credit card key? If it does then sure it should work as well

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...id-smartphones
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
wobbler
Rep
Drives: iX3

Thanks for the heads up on this - installed it for my wife on her S21 for our MSport Pro no problem, but would you use this as an emergency backup or daily instead of the key? Unless I can set up her Samsung pass.differently, it seems pretty impractical to me - unlock the phone, open Samsung pass (fingerprint required again), open the key, then hold to the door is far more hassle than just having the key on you!

Is there a way to reduce the number of steps on the phone?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:43 AM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbler View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this - installed it for my wife on her S21 for our MSport Pro no problem, but would you use this as an emergency backup or daily instead of the key? Unless I can set up her Samsung pass.differently, it seems pretty impractical to me - unlock the phone, open Samsung pass (fingerprint required again), open the key, then hold to the door is far more hassle than just having the key on you!

Is there a way to reduce the number of steps on the phone?
It all seems rather complicated to me. Surely we want to make our lives easier - not more complicated!

I tried the black credit card, but I had to put my wallet against the door handle to unlock the door. And the phone seems to need the same actions.

With the key in my pocket walking towards the car, when I’m about 3m from the car the courtesy lights illuminate. When I’m a metre from the car the doors unlock. When I walk away, the doors lock at about 2-3m from the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah it's more emergency than owt else, I just consider it the same as the black card, although on mine, I don't have to open samsung pass just hold phone to door and thumb print, and it pops open.
Appreciate 0