BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
E Hahn
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Insight on low Public charging speeds for iX3

Hello Everyone

Was hoping to get some insight from fellow iX3 owners. Took delivery of our brand new ix3 three weeks ago and don't have access to a home charger and need to make use of our public charger in Vienna.

Have tried to charge on 150kw HPC charger and got a max charging speed of 78kw at peak and stayed around there for the duration of the just over 1 hour charge. Car had around 20% when first plugged in.

Then tried to charge on 50kw DC charger and got a max of 28kw and took us almost 2 hours to charge from around 18%.

Temperatures here are cool, around 0 degrees and realise this plays a part but getting frustrated at the low rates or charge (almost half the claimed amount related to the charger).
I am sure it has something to do with the car settings and would value anyones help to try and improve these speeds.

Many thanks for anyones help or input!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

Hi!

Have only needed Fast charging during holiday travels in fall, but don't share your experiences. Back then temps were much higher at around 15 degrees still.

On 150kW and 300/350kW HPCs I managed to get to and hold around 150-155 kW until about 30% and then gradually going down.

On 50kW DC chargers I got close to that number at 46-48kW all the way up to 80%.

I don't know of course how big of a factor the outside temperature is, as I haven't had to use DC chargers since October anymore...

How are your experiences with regular public AC chargers overnight? They should allow 11kW charging, so a full charge within a maximum of 7-8 hours only.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Also just took delivery of the iX3 last week and can say the charging speed is somewhat on the slower side at around 50kw. I'm in the ukase it's around 10 degrees. I prefer slower charging but it's somewhat disappointing while on road trips.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 05:27 AM   #4
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

In cold (-15'C) it seems to take 15-20 min before it picks up the full speed and the battery warms up (I've gotten the max from a 80 kW charger multiple times now 15-16 mins after the start till 70-80% and 140 kW up until 30-40% from a 150 kW Ionity after 20 mins).

Few times I chose the HPC from the Nav as a destination, but didn't see a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

I've read that the preconditioning can be triggered by hte car if you use hte BMW nave to navigate to a charger, so it knows you are about to charge. This might be worth training in cold weather.

Waiting on delivery of mine so I don't have any experience of this for sure
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:55 AM   #6
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
I've read that the preconditioning can be triggered by hte car if you use hte BMW nave to navigate to a charger, so it knows you are about to charge. This might be worth training in cold weather.

Waiting on delivery of mine so I don't have any experience of this for sure
This function isn't available yet unfortunately. They was news going around that BMW would be enabling this from November however it's unclear whether that is for both models or just LCI and whether it will come as an OTA update or whether a dealer visit is required.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #7
DjCoke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Hahn View Post
Hello Everyone

Was hoping to get some insight from fellow iX3 owners. Took delivery of our brand new ix3 three weeks ago and don't have access to a home charger and need to make use of our public charger in Vienna.

Have tried to charge on 150kw HPC charger and got a max charging speed of 78kw at peak and stayed around there for the duration of the just over 1 hour charge. Car had around 20% when first plugged in.

Then tried to charge on 50kw DC charger and got a max of 28kw and took us almost 2 hours to charge from around 18%.

Temperatures here are cool, around 0 degrees and realise this plays a part but getting frustrated at the low rates or charge (almost half the claimed amount related to the charger).
I am sure it has something to do with the car settings and would value anyones help to try and improve these speeds.

Many thanks for anyones help or input!
Yeah the car is terrible and coldgating on cold weather.
I had the other day only 22kwh at 10% with 3 Degrees C.
It took at least 15min until it picked up gradually upto 75kwh and then it kicked to 140 and 150. At least you need half hour extra charge.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #8
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

Takes 20 mins to get full 150 kW and 15 min to get 65 kW with CCS in -15'C
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 01:30 AM   #9
E Hahn
Rep

Hello Everyone.

Would like to run a theory past the community... This could also be country specific??

Do you think the higher charge rates achieved with the iX3 ie starting with low SOC and being linked to BMW specific HPC chargers like Ionity will give you higher charge rates of over 130kw

I am suspecting that certainly from what I have experienced on HPC chargers here around Vienna, the car is capped at 74kw max on EnBW or Smartrics owned chargers.
Have tried all the measures to see if I can get the charge to charge faster with no effect and caps at 74kw for a short while for charging.
Could it be a software issue where BMW knows when the car links to Ionity and trusts the power source and allows 150kw but any other HPC charger is limited to half the speed?

Would appreciate your input and experiences on chargers other than Ionity chargers
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:38 AM   #10
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hello Everyone.

Would like to run a theory past the community... This could also be country specific??

Do you think the higher charge rates achieved with the iX3 ie starting with low SOC and being linked to BMW specific HPC chargers like Ionity will give you higher charge rates of over 130kw

I am suspecting that certainly from what I have experienced on HPC chargers here around Vienna, the car is capped at 74kw max on EnBW or Smartrics owned chargers.
Have tried all the measures to see if I can get the charge to charge faster with no effect and caps at 74kw for a short while for charging.
Could it be a software issue where BMW knows when the car links to Ionity and trusts the power source and allows 150kw but any other HPC charger is limited to half the speed?

Would appreciate your input and experiences on chargers other than Ionity chargers
I've used both Ionity and BP Pulse HPC points and experience a cap at 60kWh on both. These HPC's are supposedly linked with BMW as part of their charge programme so should be as compatible as you can get in theory.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:11 AM   #11
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Hello Everyone.

Haven't run Ionity yet, but got to around 150-155 kW on BP Pulse, EnBW and Fastned in October. I think it's the low temperatures that are holding us all back right now, not the charge networks themselves...
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2021, 04:23 AM   #12
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Lee View Post
Haven't run Ionity yet, but got to around 150-155 kW on BP Pulse, EnBW and Fastned in October. I think it's the low temperatures that are holding us all back right now, not the charge networks themselves...
Perhaps but when I last used Ionity, ambient temperature was around 8C so still cold but not "freezing".
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:31 AM   #13
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep

For me it was still around 15 degrees outside, just for reference.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:46 AM   #14
E Hahn
Rep

Thanks for the feedback! Something I will keep an eye on and report back. Im trying to get more info from BMW Austria re this whole situation and to get commitment from them if the G01 models which are pre LCI will be able to, or even get the battery pre warming function.

Will keep you all posted if any progress is made
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
euro74bmw
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 (G01)

Quote:
The charge curve is relevant:
https://insideevs.com/news/501674/bm...ging-analysis/
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 08:18 AM   #16
E Hahn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro74bmw View Post
Great article and thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #17
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
This is the curve as issued by CPO Fastned, which was quite reliable so far. I drive the car since Feb 2021 and found this graph useful. I must admit I never had to use a HPC in subzero temperatures.
Slower charging in very low temperatures is an unfortunate side effect of the physics of electrical power I guess. Same will apply in extreme high temperatures (over 40 degr) as the chargers will have problems to release their internal heat. Let’s all hope BMW helps us with an option for pre-conditioning of the system just before charging.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 02:25 AM   #18
kevz65
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Quote:
This is the curve as issued by CPO Fastned, which was quite reliable so far. I drive the car since Feb 2021 and found this graph useful. I must admit I never had to use a HPC in subzero temperatures.
Slower charging in very low temperatures is an unfortunate side effect of the physics of electrical power I guess. Same will apply in extreme high temperatures (over 40 degr) as the chargers will have problems to release their internal heat. Let's all hope BMW helps us with an option for pre-conditioning of the system just before charging.
Had my first long trip yesterday. The max charge I got was 70kw from a 120w InstaVolt fast charger. No other cars. It was around 6 degrees celsius outside and it took me 30 minutes to charge from less than 20% to 50%. I was the only car there too…something isn't right ?
2021 G08 IX3 [ordered]
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 10:12 AM   #19
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I've got over 100 on many charges, 140 on a few, no issues. Also remember just because the charger is 150kWh doesn't mean the grid its on has the capacity for that at the time your charging. If in an area with lots of shops etc, then the grid capacity might not allow full speed at the time your there. Worth remembering.

In other words they may have put a 150 in, but that can only do 150 when everything around it is closed and not drawing from the supply network.

Crappy I know, but hey.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #20
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

I've just done my first run with first use of IONITY and managed to go from 20% to 81% in 29 mins with the charge peaking at 147kwh.

Admittedly a warm(ish) day but a very impressive charge!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:09 AM   #21
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Out of interest, on an msport or premier?
Also what did it cost you?

Last edited by The shadow; 12-31-2021 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Added to post
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 07:12 AM   #22
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

I have a premier and it cost £12 give or take using the bmw charging card that has the lower IONITY unit rates.
Appreciate 0