BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
Johna78
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

X5 45e to ix3 MSport Pro

Hi,

Such was the deal on my 45e and the car market I've ended up with a significant equity, so much so looking to trade in against the ix3 mainly to reduce the monthly costs. (45e is great but once the engine kicks in the MPG plummets)

Has anyone switched?

On the test drive the size was noticeable, and the luxury, other than that the drive was similar (if anything the ix3 felt quicker of the line) and more fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
amy.grange
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d, BMW iX3 Premier Ed

Not an X5 or a 45e but we moved from X3 35d with much better (on paper) performance but diesel bills that made my eyes water… have not regretted thus far (.. although, appreciate I’ve not reduced in size like you would)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Johna78
Rep

Thanks for the reply, yeah the fuel saving was the main driver….plus the msport pro has nearly every option so actually looks cheap compared to similar specd x5
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 02:57 AM   #4
amy.grange
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35d, BMW iX3 Premier Ed

For us too. Especially with the deal with hot on the iX3 through Arval salary exchange scheme. It was a no brainier. Not much more per month for the car (all inclusive on insurance, maintenance, etc) than we were putting in for diesel in our last car.

Our X3 had loads of features too but even more now with stuff like the assisted drive (which is really good).

I would question the BMW performance stats, I personally think it’s better than stated and I’m sure that I saw a car wow (or similar) video when they easily beat the 0-60
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #5
Bobbo36_52
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Also moved from an X3 35D to IX3 (via a Model 3 Performance) and would agree with all these comments. No issues with the iX3 performance whatsoever, even after the Tesla.

Loving the interior again and level of extras , even on the Prem Edition. I find the Assisted Drive really reliable and intuitive to use and absolutely love the ability to put into 'B' more via the gear stick for full regen, it keep passengers happy on our busy motorways.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
AdamG05X5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 MSport

I have had my iX3 M Sport Pro for just over a week now. Traded it in from a 2021 X5 30D M Sport, so far I am very impressed. Material quality is about in par with the X5 except for the lowest points in the cabin. The face lifted interior and tech brings it right in line with the X5. Ride quality is excellent even when compared to the X5, I actually prefer the iX3 adaptive set up to the air in the X5, it stays more level in the corners and has 80% of the comfort in daily driving.

The iX3 comes fully equipped with kit that the X5 (in the UK anyway) is optional. If you take into account the standard kit that the iX3 has over the X5 you're looking at the X5 coming out at a good £10,000 more expensive.

I don't feel like the X5 is £10,000 better in my opinion.

The front and rear leg and head room do not feel much different to the X5, the boot in the X3 is obviously smaller but still a useful square shape.

The costs of diesel in the UK and the higher vehicle taxation levels mean that the X3 costs me about £250-£300 less a month to run even taking into account the charging costs. Insurance is half the price of the X5 too. The X5 did have that extra 'layer' of quality but I'm really nit picking.

I cross shopped the iX3 with the Ford Mach-E, Tesla Model 3/Y, Audi Q4 Etron. I felt the BMW drove much like a car should, it wasn't a massive leap in terms of that between the X5. The Audi felt cheap inside and very poorly equipped, Audi were not interested in doing any deal either. The only car that compares with kit and space is the Tesla Mode Y which was coming out a lot more expensive, a very long wait plus I've heard about the quality issues with Tesla although this has seemingly improved.

This left me back with the BMW. I do not regret my decision, the fact that it is not a 'ground up' EV has not caused too many compromises, the only one I can see is the transmission tunnel effecting that rear leg room. The car is efficient too I'm seeing 3miles/KWH regularly I do drive in 'boost' mode a lot of the time.

The iX3 is easier to drive in and around urban areas being a smaller car with the higher driving position. My Mrs really appreciates this, I did feel the X5 was big but not unwieldy or unmanageable in and around town.

Next week I'm going to be taking the car on a 500 mile round trip which should really show how it compares to the X5, all being considered I genuinely loved my X5 but for me the iX3 more than fills it's big boots.

The iX3 is not going to be for everyone and I'm not for one minute saying it's a better car than the X5, it's just that for my needs and location the iX3 makes more practical and financial sense.

Happy to answer any questions as I know a lot of people are still awaiting their iX3 delivery. Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2022, 03:31 AM   #7
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG05X5 View Post
I have had my iX3 M Sport Pro for just over a week now. Traded it in from a 2021 X5 30D M Sport, so far I am very impressed. Material quality is about in par with the X5 except for the lowest points in the cabin. The face lifted interior and tech brings it right in line with the X5. Ride quality is excellent even when compared to the X5, I actually prefer the iX3 adaptive set up to the air in the X5, it stays more level in the corners and has 80% of the comfort in daily driving.

The iX3 comes fully equipped with kit that the X5 (in the UK anyway) is optional. If you take into account the standard kit that the iX3 has over the X5 you're looking at the X5 coming out at a good £10,000 more expensive.

The front and rear leg and head room do not feel much different to the X5, the boot in the X3 is obviously smaller but still a useful square shape.

The costs of diesel in the UK and the higher vehicle taxation levels mean that the X3 costs me about £250-£300 less a month to run even taking into account the charging costs. Insurance is half the price of the X5 too. The X5 did have that extra 'layer' of quality but I'm really nit picking.

I cross shopped the iX3 with the Ford Mach-E, Tesla Model 3/Y, Audi Q4 Etron. I felt the BMW drove much like a car should, it wasn't a massive leap in terms of that between the X5. The Audi felt cheap inside and very poorly equipped, Audi were not interested in doing any deal either. The only car that compares with kit and space is the Tesla Mode Y which was coming out a lot more expensive, a very long wait plus I've heard about the quality issues with Tesla although this has seemingly improved.

This left me back with the BMW. I do not regret my decision, the fact that it is not a 'ground up' EV has not caused too many compromises, the only one I can see is the transmission tunnel effecting that rear leg room. The car is efficient too I'm seeing 3miles/KWH regularly I do drive in 'boost' mode a lot of the time.

The iX3 is easier to drive in and around urban areas being a smaller car with the higher driving position. My Mrs really appreciates this, I did feel the X5 was big but not unwieldy or unmanageable in and around town.

Next week I'm going to be taking the car on a 500 mile round trip which should really show how it compares to the X5, all being considered I genuinely loved my X5 but for me the iX3 more than fills it's big boots.

The iX3 is not going to be for everyone and I'm not for one minute saying it's a better car than the X5, it's just that for my needs and location the iX3 makes more practical and financial sense.

Happy to answer any questions as I know a lot of people are still awaiting their iX3 delivery. Thanks for reading.
That is a really good read with your comparison feedback. Really looking forward to hearing all about your trip (with pics please )
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:

Thanks for your review and looking forward to hearing about your long trip. I did a write up about mine last weekend. It will be interesting to see how it compares with range etc. I came from a 5 series and like you say, the quality is right up there with it, apart from a couple of very minor areas. I've been really pleased with mine and so far no regrets whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:25 PM   #9
Johna78
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers Adam, really great review that puts my mind at ease, interesting you mention the fuel costs as recently I seem to be putting around £200 a month in and I don't do loads of miles. Again similar to you I think we will save around £300 a month so I can live with the *slight* drop off in quality.

One question, on our test drive the ix3 felt sportier, and considering the 100bhp drop off not slow (as I was expecting). I know your coming from the 30d not the 45e but did you find the ix3 slow at all?

Cheers
John
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2022, 12:34 PM   #10
AdamG05X5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johna78 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Cheers Adam, really great review that puts my mind at ease, interesting you mention the fuel costs as recently I seem to be putting around £200 a month in and I don't do loads of miles. Again similar to you I think we will save around £300 a month so I can live with the *slight* drop off in quality.

One question, on our test drive the ix3 felt sportier, and considering the 100bhp drop off not slow (as I was expecting). I know your coming from the 30d not the 45e but did you find the ix3 slow at all?

Cheers
John
iX3 to me feels quicker than the X5 30d did. The main speed difference is once you're above 10mph or so, planting your foot it feels genuinely quick. I've had some fast cars and this one feels the most responsive which is probably more due to the inherent driving characteristics of an EV.

I have never driven the 45e but I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed or feel short changed, I compare the iX3 to GOLF GTI speed, which for a car of its size and weight is a big compliment.
Appreciate 1
Johna7815.00
      02-03-2022, 04:36 AM   #11
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I came from an X3 M40i and find the iX3 much more fun to drive.

I'm not a 'petrol head' by any means so the M40i was a bit of an extravagance anyway and I do miss the throaty roars of power when on a long country drive. However, the sheer smug brilliance of being able to silently beat most petrol/diesel cars off the line in Sport mode makes up for this. The low-speed acceleration in the iX3 is much more fun, with no lag on the throttle. In the M40i it was a good 2 seconds from putting your foot flat down to getting the full torque, in the iX3 it's instant.
Appreciate 1
Johna7815.00
      02-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #12
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
The low-speed acceleration in the iX3 is much more fun, with no lag on the throttle. In the M40i it was a good 2 seconds from putting your foot flat down to getting the full torque, in the iX3 it's instant.
For me, the 30-60 acceleration is even more exciting than the "off the line" performance. I came from an Audi S3, which was very spritely from a standing start, hitting 60mph in less than 5s. Whilst the iX3 doesn't quite match that, I reckon the two are on a par for the mid range acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 08:39 AM   #13
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
For me, the 30-60 acceleration is even more exciting than the "off the line" performance. I came from an Audi S3, which was very spritely from a standing start, hitting 60mph in less than 5s. Whilst the iX3 doesn't quite match that, I reckon the two are on a par for the mid range acceleration.
Yeah, the 30-60 performance is also good, but for my past experience this is where the M40i was in it's prime, 30-60 when the twin-turbos were already spooled up was neck-snappingly quick. The iX3 is close for sure.

The only place I've found the iX3 lacking is the 60-80 range. Not that it feels sluggish, but it definitely lacks the punch the M40i did when entering a motorway off the slip road.
Appreciate 0