BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

So yesterday we went to collect our new puppy from Barry Island near Cardiff in Wales. We left from home (about 10 miles north of Brighton) at about 8:45. I used to drive to a second work location near Bridgend at least twice a month in my old job up until about 15years ago and have memories of driving my X5 at very high speeds in between constant traffic jams on the M25 and M4.

So this time decided to try gadgets like Assisted Driving having confidently predicted I'd turn it off after 10 mins. My word, how wrong can you be? Set cruise to 70 (or so) and sit there both feet on the floor, hold the wheel very lightly and the car holds behind traffic in front, usually in the 60s and steers itself. It never missed a beat. This and Sat Nav on the HUD makes for a totally new driving experience. Completely calm the whole time. Happy to travel at lower speeds and let the car do the work. It does seem the motoring public have calmed down in the last few years, probably because of the rise in cameras. Not so much a queue of Audis and BMWs in outside lane at 95 these days!

As for the range, the main worry before we set out on a 195 mile each way trip…. First stop Reading services. Ecotricity, 150kWh, plugged in for 20mins while we used facilities, 15kWh added. First time on a public charger, couldn't be easier. Next the Pit Stop services at Chippenham. Four Ionity chargers. Tried out new BMW charging card. Worked fine. 31mins, 25kWh added and range back up to about 190miles. Also a great little cafe there if you are on the M4. On the way back stopped at Chippenham again as we had about 30 more miles to travel than predicted range. This time the card just would not work. Annoying as had to use QR code and website and didn't get discount, but lovely couple on next one found same with their VW (id3) card. Other side was an iPace who always uses that method. Started at about 120kWh and slowed to about 60 as we got up to about 80% but gave us the range we needed to get home… 19mins and 28kWh. 100% range when we started about 195. On way back we got up to about 84% at that last stop and that was 215! Oh, and not one stop on the motorways, the slowest we went was 50 in roadworks avg speed cameras, which helps!

So.., the car is fantastic! Public charging, one blip aside, is easier than I thought and worked well. Just plan for the right places to stop. Oh, and the puppy just pooped on the carpet! Sigh.
Appreciate 2
RedJon116.50
      12-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #2
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Nice write up
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 03:19 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colh68 View Post
So.., the car is fantastic! Public charging, one blip aside, is easier than I thought and worked well. Just plan for the right places to stop. Oh, and the puppy just pooped on the carpet! Sigh.
Good to hear that the puppy has christened the car. Must be a sign of acceptance!!!

With regard to the Ionity at Chippenham, I used it twice before I had my BMW Charging card. But I used the BMW Charging app, and hence received the discount. PS - don't tell too many people about the Chippenham chargers - we don't want more people queuing!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 04:35 AM   #4
Colh68
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Good to hear that the puppy has christened the car. Must be a sign of acceptance!!!

With regard to the Ionity at Chippenham, I used it twice before I had my BMW Charging card. But I used the BMW Charging app, and hence received the discount. PS - don't tell too many people about the Chippenham chargers - we don't want more people queuing!
It's okay. It was the house carpet!
Appreciate 0