BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-17-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
phatkid68
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

2022 M240i Order/Allocation

Long time admirer - first time orderer. I ordered my first BMW (M240i) about 3 weeks ago. I knew the dealer didn't have an immediate allocation - but not in a huge hurry. I have the Vehicle Inquiry Report: Order Status: 047, Priority 1 - Customer Sold. I know allocation are dealer specific - but any intel on how/when allocation are released? Is it 1 release for the whole month, or they just sprinkle them in all the time? Also, how long should I wait before I'm just wasting my time? I ordered Nov 26 2022; I'm ok waiting a month or two if I know they're going to get one - just worried it'll be Feb and still no word. Last - what are people seeing from build start to delivery? I'm assuming ~3 months. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
G42M240
Private First Class
Rep

I put a deposit on mine on December 4th and my dealer had an allocation by the 7th. They explained they get allocations every month but can also trade them with other dealers if if they don't get an M240i that month.

My build week is scheduled for the second week of January. My dealer thinks it'll arrive by the middle of Feb but I'm not so hopeful given all of the delays we are seeing on here.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind it arriving in the middle of March past winter for me. As I'm going to order the performance tires do get the staggered setup and the higher top speed.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
MattM240eye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G42M240 View Post
I put a deposit on mine on December 4th and my dealer had an allocation by the 7th. They explained they get allocations every month but can also trade them with other dealers if if they don't get an M240i that month.

My build week is scheduled for the second week of January. My dealer thinks it'll arrive by the middle of Feb but I'm not so hopeful given all of the delays we are seeing on here.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind it arriving in the middle of March past winter for me. As I'm going to order the performance tires do get the staggered setup and the higher top speed.

Almost the same timeline for me. Deposit on the 4th, Allocated on the 6th hoping for an end of Feb/early March Arrival
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatkid68 View Post
Long time admirer - first time orderer. I ordered my first BMW (M240i) about 3 weeks ago. I knew the dealer didn't have an immediate allocation - but not in a huge hurry. I have the Vehicle Inquiry Report: Order Status: 047, Priority 1 - Customer Sold. I know allocation are dealer specific - but any intel on how/when allocation are released? Is it 1 release for the whole month, or they just sprinkle them in all the time? Also, how long should I wait before I'm just wasting my time? I ordered Nov 26 2022; I'm ok waiting a month or two if I know they're going to get one - just worried it'll be Feb and still no word. Last - what are people seeing from build start to delivery? I'm assuming ~3 months. Thanks all!
Next round for February production could be this coming week, but no guarantees due to Christmas break in Germany.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
carmanIII
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Next round for February production could be this coming week, but no guarantees due to Christmas break in Germany.
The M240i is assembled in Mexico, however, not sure how many components are made in Germany.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #6
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmanIII View Post
The M240i is assembled in Mexico, however, not sure how many components are made in Germany.
Yes, but allocations are put out by BMW AG, then distributed to BMW NA then to dealers. So, not sure IF they'll be released when everyone in Germany is off. At worst, they'll be released after the new year.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #7
drpie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240iX on 02/09/2022

Garage List
2022 M240iX  [0.00]
I've been at production begins since 12/09/2021 !
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #8
AMMG42
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i xdrive

Quote:
Be prepared to wait a very long time. Mine ordered 8/28, production started 10/13, quality check 11/12. It's now going on 6 weeks being stuck in quality check. Neither the dealer nor the BMW Genius
Agent know when it will move or why its stuck. I don't expect to get mine until February.
Appreciate 2
yanks1484.00
      12-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

mine entered quality check Friday... why are some vehicles stuck in quality check for 5-6 weeks like the above reply from AMMG42? Car is built, what is the freaking hold-up???? urgh

'08 Mustang GT Vert w/5 speed manual
Past:325ci, 330ci (my favorite) & 2018 230i; '79 Vette (owned 13 yrs.)
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 05:02 PM   #10
kumizi206
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 m240i

The initial cars seemed like 2 months from start of production to delivery.

Now it's looking like 4-5 months.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #11
AMMG42
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
mine entered quality check Friday... why are some vehicles stuck in quality check for 5-6 weeks like the above reply from AMMG42? Car is built, what is the freaking hold-up???? urgh
No BMW representative has an answer why they are stuck so long. I read that BMW is "Hole Shoring", "The whole car is built except for a missing part and can then be completed relatively easily when it shows up." More likely the part shortage is microchips.
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #12
randomusername
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m240i (in production)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMG42 View Post
Quote:
Be prepared to wait a very long time. Mine ordered 8/28, production started 10/13, quality check 11/12. It's now going on 6 weeks being stuck in quality check. Neither the dealer nor the BMW Genius
Agent know when it will move or why its stuck. I don't expect to get mine until February.
Mine has been in QC since the same day.
Appreciate 2
AMMG4244.00
      12-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #13
yabo2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4 competition (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomusername View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Same timeline but I had mine move into final checks yesterday! Hopefully the same for yours and others
Appreciate 3
AMMG4244.00
yanks1484.00
      12-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #14
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabo2c View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Same timeline but I had mine move into final checks yesterday! Hopefully the same for yours and others
Fingers crossed. Do you have ACC?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #15
yabo2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4 competition (soon)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabo2c View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fingers crossed. Do you have ACC?
Yep I have all the option except ZTK or the cooling pack because I am getting a set of BBSs
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
bobinfla
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Spoke with sales manager on Friday and he told me that BMW North America told him that my car is complete and at the port (My Garage still shows it coming up on 6 weeks in Quality Check), and the delay is due to problems with available ships. He couldn't explain why the status isn't "Ready for Transport" if the car is really at the port in Mexico.

Got a call this morning from the dealership general manager who told me he had spoken with BMW North America and the delay is because they are waiting on a part. He was trying to find out what part is missing.

I'm inclined to believe what I was told this morning. I'm curious what part is missing, and more curious if BMW has any idea when they will get the part.

It does look like the only thing deleted from my build is the passenger seat lumbar and width. ACC, ZTK, satellite radio, wireless charging, etc. are still included. Most VIN lookups don't work, including trying to use the VIN to access the owner's manual from BMW's web site. A couple of weeks ago, the mdecoder.com web site started "finding" my VIN and that shows everything still being in the build, along with:

S48Z DEL.FR.PASS.LUMBAR SUPP./FR.PASS.BWA
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #17
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinfla View Post
Spoke with sales manager on Friday and he told me that BMW North America told him that my car is complete and at the port (My Garage still shows it coming up on 6 weeks in Quality Check), and the delay is due to problems with available ships. He couldn't explain why the status isn't "Ready for Transport" if the car is really at the port in Mexico.

Got a call this morning from the dealership general manager who told me he had spoken with BMW North America and the delay is because they are waiting on a part. He was trying to find out what part is missing.

I'm inclined to believe what I was told this morning. I'm curious what part is missing, and more curious if BMW has any idea when they will get the part.

It does look like the only thing deleted from my build is the passenger seat lumbar and width. ACC, ZTK, satellite radio, wireless charging, etc. are still included. Most VIN lookups don't work, including trying to use the VIN to access the owner's manual from BMW's web site. A couple of weeks ago, the mdecoder.com web site started "finding" my VIN and that shows everything still being in the build, along with:

It's a shame that I didn't get wireless charging. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #18
randomusername
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you say February?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
SWOHammer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i (SOOOOOON!!!)

Quote:
Quote:

It's a shame that I didn't get wireless charging. Oh well.
Wasn't an option when I ordered late Sept. Parts already too delayed so I had no choice. Bummer but low-hanging fruit. Better than having to wait for it…
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #20
wk240i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i, BMW 2016 228i

Quote:

I'm in the same boat (pardon the pun). Car moved to "At the Port" last week (though My Garage still shows in "Final Assembly"), and a Genius told me it was waiting for assignment to a vessel. I also used mdecoder to look up my VIN, and the report shows that I should have all features and options (HUD, HK, Satellite, etc.) with S48Z deletion also noted. When I asked, the Genius said there were no notes concerning missing parts, etc., so I'm hopeful that what I've been told is accurate.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #21
ThunderM240
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Just found my car on there…Interesting to see this:

Transmission Manual

Looks like nothing was deleted…Just wondering if it would show whether or not a touch screen was installed
2003 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 12:59 PM   #22
wk240i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M240i, BMW 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderM240 View Post
Just found my car on there…Interesting to see this:

Transmission Manual

Looks like nothing was deleted…Just wondering if it would show whether or not a touch screen was installed
Mine also shows "transmission manual," and no notes about touch screen.
Appreciate 0