home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

12-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
cb123
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2022 M240i

How to upgrade or improve the Non HK Sound system

Is there anything I can do to upgrade or improve my non HK system?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #2
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Check out these two for plug and play.
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...lifier-for-bmw

Or

www.bavsound.com
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #3
DZ F30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport

How is the hifi sound system quality for the G42? I currently have an F30 with the harmon kardon surround sound system and am currently thinking about getting a G42 without the Harmon Kardon sound system? Just want to know how the hifi system is overall. I like listening to various kinds of music, rock, hip-hop, electronic, etc. and just want to make sure the clarity, quality, and bass will be sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 09:39 AM   #4
tom_r
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230i

Dealer suggested Bavsound. They don't have kits for G42 yet. Bav suggested, "You can use our product request app below and we'll keep track of requests and notify you if/when we make a kit. The more requests, the more likely it becomes a priority!

http://bit.ly/bavproductrequest"

I filled out the request. How about you?
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2022, 10:44 AM   #5
Jashue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 B58 G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ F30 View Post
How is the hifi sound system quality for the G42? I currently have an F30 with the harmon kardon surround sound system and am currently thinking about getting a G42 without the Harmon Kardon sound system? Just want to know how the hifi system is overall. I like listening to various kinds of music, rock, hip-hop, electronic, etc. and just want to make sure the clarity, quality, and bass will be sufficient.
I have the stock (non-HK) system on my F22, and I'm hear to tell you that it absolutely sucks. I had a local installer replace all the speakers with BavSound components and it was a tremendous improvement in quality. The head unit doesn't pump out a tremendous amount of power (so BavSound components aren't going to revolutionize your listening experience if you go that route), but it will make it good enough.

My F22 was purchased used with less than 8K, so I jumped on the amazing opportunity that was presented me at that time. But knowing what I know now and if in a position to buy new (well, actually I just ordered a G42), I would go HK all the way. Honestly-- I'm not sure what the difference in power the stock and the HK head unit is. But it's got to be at least as good and I'm assuming it's better. If anyone can clarify the distinction here, it would be appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2022, 06:14 PM   #6
Hpirx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240 xDrive, BGM

I would characterize the HK system right now as "bright ". Since the car is relatively new, I'm hoping that the speakers will mellow a bit after a break in period. This has been my experience with a lot of new cars and their audio systems.
I have not spent a lot of time tuning the equalization, surround settings, etc, but my impression is that it will have adequate power, soundstage and accuracy. I say adequate because I don't demand the same listening experience in my car as my home system.
The HK strikes me as "listenable" once the speakers break in. If you are more demanding of your car audio, then you may decide to go the mods route.

I am quite happy with the head unit controls and the incorporation of CarPlay and Bluetooth capabilities. Because we're missing the satellite radio, these have become very important. I've been very happy with the Spotify application and also use a Plex app on my phone to access a network storage device. That's a bit less convenient but plays pretty seamlessly. I will probably just plug a drive with my library into one of the USB ports and see what happens!
The audio is an improvement over the F22, which I did not think was too bad.
      02-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #7
yanks1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Mustang GT Vert 5-speed

I have HK audio on my 3 day old M240. First thing I did is dial back treble 2-3 clicks & increase bass 3-4 clicks. That helps a lot... also when you turn up volume > 60-70% the HK audio system sounds a lot richer & punchier. That is my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
yuvalt
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 M240i, 09 Miata, 70 Corvett

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I have HK audio on my 3 day old M240. First thing I did is dial back treble 2-3 clicks & increase bass 3-4 clicks. That helps a lot... also when you turn up volume > 60-70% the HK audio system sounds a lot richer & punchier. That is my 2 cents
Hahaha I did exactly the opposite... dialed the bass down 2 clicks. That punch was too extra.
Appreciate 0