BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Radar-assisted Cruise and Cyclists

I had a potentially serious issue the other day where I was operating in adaptive cruise (with steering assist turned off) and came up behind a cyclist. The radar assisted cruise did not detect the cyclist (as in, it did not attempt to match the cyclist's speed, nor disengage) so I turned the wheel to overtake the cyclist but the auto-lane-assist interrupted me and tried to turn the car back into the lane, towards the cyclist, making it a very close pass in the end. Certainly gave me a shock, and very probably the cyclist too!

Has anyone experienced something similar?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post
I had a potentially serious issue the other day where I was operating in adaptive cruise (with steering assist turned off) and came up behind a cyclist. The radar assisted cruise did not detect the cyclist (as in, it did not attempt to match the cyclist's speed, nor disengage) so I turned the wheel to overtake the cyclist but the auto-lane-assist interrupted me and tried to turn the car back into the lane, towards the cyclist, making it a very close pass in the end. Certainly gave me a shock, and very probably the cyclist too!

I haven't experienced it but have turned off steering intervention in the settings for this precise reason. I still have it set to vibrate the steering wheel to warn me but that's all it does now. I can still use Assisted Driving even with this turned off. Means that I am always in control of the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersebbo View Post

I also turned off the lane keeping interventions. I don't like them in normal driving. I like to have the freedom to go across the white lines when I want to! And it isn't always necessary to indicate when changing lanes.

However, I do use the lane keeping assistant part of the adaptive cruise when on dual carriageways or motorways.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Interestingly enough, reading another thread on this forum, my car is due a 'Technical Enchancement' which includes an update to the radar firmware, which on another forum someone suggested is to improve detection of cyclists.

Suggest everyone checks if they need this update, in UK you can do it by entering VIN/Reg here: https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quic...e-recalls.html

If you need it, it will say:

There is an open technical enhancement on this vehicle. Please go here to book an online appointment for your vehicle selecting "service as required" or contact your local retailer here for more information. Enhancement code 0066540100.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 12:51 PM   #5
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I'll check when next see a cyclist, it has picked them up before on the screen they come up as motorbikes in visualisation, don't think I was in any sort of pilot mode though at time. I'll get me brother to ride in front of me and see, car has had the radar firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:30 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
I'll check when next see a cyclist, it has picked them up before on the screen they come up as motorbikes in visualisation, don't think I was in any sort of pilot mode though at time. I'll get me brother to ride in front of me and see, car has had the radar firmware update.
How much does your brother trust you?
How much does your brother trust the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Well if I get any distance from him and the radar doesn't see him I shan't get closer 😂
Appreciate 0