BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2022, 03:43 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Long(ish) Trip Planned

My iX3 M Sport should arrive next week all being well and we have a weekend away in Scotland (Dumfries & Galloway) booked for the last weekend in January. We live in the Peak District so it's about a 200 miles to get there.

It will be our first long trip in an EV (always had diesels in the past) so I'm just doing a bit of planning for charge stops etc.

So I had a couple of questions..... The car will be fully loaded 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, luggage and possibly the roof box. I have had a search through the forums, reviews etc but I've not really found any estimates on the motorway range with the car fully loaded.

Have any of you folks got any idea as to what sort of range I'm likely to get? I know there are quite a few factors involved but just a rough idea would be helpful.

The second question is around using the granny charger. I've had a look at the toughleads extensions as the cottage we are staying at doesn't have an EV charger or outside 13amp sockets. However I'm not sure of the state of the wiring in the cottage and there are a few horror stories of granny chargers melting sockets etc! I'm tempted not to risk it and just use a public charger. Just wondering if you guys have had any issues using the granny charger?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #2
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

You should be pretty safe with the granny as long as you set the AC Charging limit to 8A from the car, I've charged from 50 year old outlets over night with no issues
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:05 AM   #3
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Your roof box will be the biggest drain on the range, so if you can get by without it great. We have 2 adults, 2 kids and 3 dogs so have to resort to a roof box so I’m looking at this for when I pick up my iX3 (still in X3 20D at the mo) https://youtu.be/Z0P6i1YsgII

Last edited by RedJon; 01-09-2022 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 03:44 AM   #4
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post
You should be pretty safe with the granny as long as you set the AC Charging limit to 8A from the car, I've charged from 50 year old outlets over night with no issues
Thats helpful - thanks I suspect the wiring in the cottage we're going to is a similar age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJon View Post
Your roof box will be the biggest drain on the range, so if you can get by without it great. We have 2 adults, 2 kids and 3 dogs so have to resort to a roof box so I’m looking at this for when I pick up my iX3 (still in X3 20D at the mo) https://youtu.be/Z0P6i1YsgII
Thanks for the link, it's very interesting about the 'reverse' roof box! I lose about 5 mpg in the 5 series with the BMW one on. I'll do a bit of a write up of the trip and put a post on here. One of the reasons I went for the iX3 is that the boot is a good size, but more importantly a good shape. Our dog cage is quite big and once the boot liner and mat is in it makes it quite tight at the top in a lot of cars.

Whilst the iX3 boot depth is slightly shorter than my 5 series touring, it's actually a bit wider and taller. When I get the car I'll do some photo comparisons as there isn't much out there on the internet with the exact dimensions when looking to fit a dog cage.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #5
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Yeah just make sure you set the car to a max of 8amp, if unsure 6amp. Overnight still give you 2.7kW speed of charge, make sure to graze charge wherever you can as well, tesco, plug it in, even if only 30mins, its still taking on charge rather than doing nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:01 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Yeah just make sure you set the car to a max of 8amp, if unsure 6amp. Overnight still give you 2.7kW speed of charge, make sure to graze charge wherever you can as well, tesco, plug it in, even if only 30mins, its still taking on charge rather than doing nothing.
It is impossible to get 2.7kW when set to 6A or 8A. Physics won't allow it!

6A will give 1.3kW.
8A will give 1.8kW.

I consistently get 2.4kW using the supplied charger when visiting my parents. That is 10.4A at 230V. No problem with that current from the original 1970s wiring in their house.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:04 AM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post

I consistently get 2.4kW using the supplied charger when visiting my parents. That is 10.4A at 230V. No problem with that current from the original 1970s wiring in their house.
People often say that until there is an issue. Most problems appear to be related to the condition of the socket not the home wiring per se.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:18 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
People often say that until there is an issue. Most problems appear to be related to the condition of the socket not the home wiring per se.
Over 100 hours of charging so far, without any problems, trips, or heat in the socket.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #9
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

My Wallbox is tripping pretty regularly - lowered the current to 29A which helped for a bit but started doing it again
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:41 PM   #10
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is impossible to get 2.7kW when set to 6A or 8A. Physics won't allow it!

6A will give 1.3kW.
8A will give 1.8kW.

Yeah my bad, head maths broken 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
My Wallbox is tripping pretty regularly - lowered the current to 29A which helped for a bit but started doing it again
I'd get in touch with the installer, should be able to pull 32amps just fine. If it's tripping out regular it's probably an issue elsewhere or in the install. Might be worth asking for a current detector on it to shuffle the load down if the house isn't upto delivering 32amps to that circuit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 03:04 AM   #12
Hud78
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Over 100 hours of charging so far, without any problems, trips, or heat in the socket.
I was under the impression there's some heat detection to give a layer of safety in the 13A plug of the BMW granny charger anyway - can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:29 AM   #13
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1x View Post
Which breaker is tripping? That will help narrow down what is happening. There will be 2 or 3 'breakers' between your wallbox and the incoming mains, depending on how your charger was installed.

The first is the MCB for the charger itself (which is usually 40A rated), this will either be in your consumer unit or your meter cabinet (or ocasionally in a seperate enclosure). If this is breaking, I would call out an electrician straight away, it suggests there is a pretty major problem if a dedicated circuit for a 32A appliance is tripping a 40A breaker.

The second possibily is it's tripping your consumer unit RCD (if it was wired through the CU RCD) or a dedicated RCD for the charger. If it's this, then it's possible there is current leakage on the circuit causing the RCD to trip, if this is the case then it's got nothing to do with the Amps the car is pulling, it will keep tripping no matter what setting you have the charger on. Another electrician job I'm afraid - but you could narrow this down by charing at half-power for a while and seeing if you get any trips, if so, almost certainly RCD/current leakage issue.

The third is it's tripping your main consumer unit MCB or the incoming meter-box MCB (if your property has one). These are usually 80A or 100A breakers, but they operate on your home's total current draw - which can quickly add up. If you're on full speed charging at 32A, running an electric shower at 40A and have the oven running at 20A - you'll likely trip an 80A main breaker.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:08 AM   #14
gray1x
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thanks. It's the dedicated RCD for the wallbox. I'll call the installers. It's only 3 months old so should be covered .
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #15
esslera
Rep
Drives: X3, M135i

hollpe sorry to jump on an old thread, but after some advice. We are just south of Sheffield, and I was wondering how you fared with the RWD in winter when the roads are a bit slippier. We have a diesel X3, and I'm struggling to understand whether the IX3 will be OK without winter tyres etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 10:56 AM   #16
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esslera View Post
hollpe sorry to jump on an old thread, but after some advice. We are just south of Sheffield, and I was wondering how you fared with the RWD in winter when the roads are a bit slippier. We have a diesel X3, and I'm struggling to understand whether the IX3 will be OK without winter tyres etc.
Below 5 degrees they won't be good. I'd recommend changing them to winter tyres as soon as temperatures drop. I crashed my iX3 last winter, so take my word for it
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 01:16 AM   #17
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Always use dedicated winter tires with temperatures below 7 degrees...
      07-07-2022, 02:29 AM   #18
esslera
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRock View Post
Below 5 degrees they won't be good. I'd recommend changing them to winter tyres as soon as temperatures drop. I crashed my iX3 last winter, so take my word for it
Yeah - I was just trying to get away without the additional outlay, as it's going to be a fully maintained lease, so didn't;t really want to then have to start shelling out for my own set of winter wheels + alloys on top

Sounds like I'm going back through the previous threads on winter tyres to see where people got up to, as from initial scanning it looked like BMW were being less than useful.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #19
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esslera View Post
Sorry I'm a bit late replying on this one! It wasn't really that cold when I got mine at the end of Jan so there wasn't any snow. It was ok in the slippery conditions. However I will be putting winters on later this year. 2+ tons of car, snowy conditions and hills is not a great combination! We also do a few trips up to Scotland in the winter as well, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sytner's bodyshop is full of 4WD's on summer tyres with front end damage in the winter! Even with all the fancy trickery of the latest x-drive, Quattro etc it can't do much to stop the momentum of hard summer rubber sliding towards some object when the conditions are bad.

I've always had winters on my cars (mostly RWD BMW's) and never had an issue with getting about. The only thing that has stopped them has been ground clearance when the snow gets really deep! Depending on how long you keep your car you are not too far off breaking even when you factor in the reduced wear on your summer tyres and the value when you come to sell them.

I'll start looking for some soon and report back with what I can find!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 05:04 AM   #20
esslera
Rep

Thanks.
Got some great advice on this other thread that you might find useful
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1859716&page=2
Appreciate 1
hollpe159.00