BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-24-2022, 12:33 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Do you charge each night?

After all the faffing around with software enhancements I finally picked up my iX3 on Saturday and am really impressed with it.

We're off for a long weekend in Scotland this Friday (fully loaded) so I'm going to a bit of a write up of that when I get back. It's going to be interesting to see what the range is like fully loaded with dogs, kids, luggage, roofbox etc.

A quick question....do you plug your iX3 each night to top up to 80%? As I'm still WFH, my daily journeys are mainly the school run so I'm only using about 10% charge a day.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

I would say it depends on your leccy tariff. If you have a cheap rate then I would only charge in that timescale.
When my car arrives I’m going to try and only charge when the amount needed equals my 7hours of cheap leccy available
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Exclamation

Remember to put your roof box on backwards
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:15 AM   #4
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
After all the faffing around with software enhancements I finally picked up my iX3 on Saturday and am really impressed with it.

We're off for a long weekend in Scotland this Friday (fully loaded) so I'm going to a bit of a write up of that when I get back. It's going to be interesting to see what the range is like fully loaded with dogs, kids, luggage, roofbox etc.

A quick question....do you plug your iX3 each night to top up to 80%? As I'm still WFH, my daily journeys are mainly the school run so I'm only using about 10% charge a day.

Cheers
I'm not on a cheap tariff at the moment, so just charge when I need to. I have the car set to 100% - that way I only need to charge once a week. Typically on a Friday night ready for any weekend activities.

If you don't need the full charge, then why bother plugging in every day?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:25 AM   #5
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

With my current car I charge every night to 100% because I use 60-70% every day. I have done this for more than 3 years with no evident degradation of the battery, and I will continue to do the same when I get my iX3.
Obviously, if I knew the car was going to sit for a few days I wouldn't be leaving it sitting at 100% SOC, but if I was in the same boat as the OP I would charge once a week during any off-peak tariff times.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:37 AM   #6
Lazy Lee
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Exec, BMW i3s Exec

I only charge when the battery percentage goes down to around 20% or so. And then charge to 100% so I can (on average) do this just once a week. WFH mostly...

The only thing I pay attention to is to not have the car sit at 100% for too long, so I will charge in the off-peak hours (23-7 and all weekend in NL) if I know I will be driving the next day.
With the car being able to charge from empty to full in less than 8 hours, that always works out fine. NL has 3-phase connections (typically 3x25A) for most households by now, so 11kW for the charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:37 AM   #7
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

I charge every night in a fixed window in line with my electricity tariff.

From everything I've read, at least with BMWs, it's best to keep the car fully charged and plugged in. This means the car can use the mains electricity for pre-conditioning as well.

The car is in ultimate control of the battery charging status/cycles - if it's left plugged in at 100% the car will stop the charging itself (rather than it being a constant trickle).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:26 AM   #8
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Thanks for your replies folks :-)
Appreciate 0