BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-27-2022, 12:18 AM   #1
MATR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Is Plug & Charge supported?

https://ionity.eu/en/access-and-payment.html

Does anyone know if the ix3 supports the ISO 15118 standard and the new plug & charge technology?

I can't find any statements by bmw about this.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 04:45 AM   #2
KeesAMS
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATR View Post

Does anyone know if the ix3 supports the ISO 15118 standard and the new plug & charge technology?

The BMW iX3 definitely supports this. Also was able to use this with my i3 at Fastned who introduced this feature on their chargers back in 2017 in the Netherlands.

https://support.fastned.nl/hc/en-gb/...27-Autocharge-
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 05:09 AM   #3
MATR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesAMS View Post
Quote:

The BMW iX3 definitely supports this. Also was able to use this with my i3 at Fastned who introduced this feature on their chargers back in 2017 in the Netherlands.

I'm not sure autocharge and plug & charge are the same. Bjørn talks about it here:

As I understand IONITY uses plug & charge and not autocharge. So I was curious if the ix3 could use plug & charge with IONITY ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
KeesAMS
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeesAMS View Post
Quote:

I'm not sure autocharge and plug & charge are the same. Bjørn talks about it here:

As I understand IONITY uses plug & charge and not autocharge. So I was curious if the ix3 could use plug & charge with IONITY ?
You are definitely right. Autocharge is not the same as Plug & Charge.

According to this article the first iX3's (most probably pre-LCI but could also be the early delivery of facelift models) will not have it:

"While Porsche, for example, says that even units of the Taycan that have already been delivered can support Plug&Charge – because the hardware is prepared for it – the situation is different at BMW, for example. According to a BMW spokesperson, the manufacturer's vehicles require hardware changes, which means that cars that have already been delivered will not support Plug&Charge – not only older i3s but also the first iX3s."

https://www.electrive.com/2020/12/15...-breakthrough/
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
MATR
Private
Rep

Thanks. I also found that article. I just thought it was a little dated being from 2020. So I wondered if anyone ever tried or knew if it was possible…
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #6
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Probably find it was the ix3's that launched in Europe nearly 22 months before the UK got them.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 02:51 PM   #7
strudenilist
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6

I’m glad some steps are being taken toward making charging plugs and sockets in EVs more unified. I think it will save a lot of money and materials. It should be like with smartphones: just make them all with type-c charging sockets and solve tons of issues people have with different charging cables.
I would also try to make Vont smart remote-control plugs more popular because it’s a great device to control the charging time because you can control this plug right from your phone. It can save you time and control the charging process even when you’re not home.

Last edited by strudenilist; 11-01-2022 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #8
Gnillab
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: G08

I don't think USB C has the capacity to charge an EV, but I can't be sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:25 PM   #9
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnillab View Post
It has, but quite slowly… however I struggled to get my car into my hallway to plug it into the USB-C charger in the wall socket…
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:27 PM   #10
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnillab View Post
It has, but quite slowly… however I struggled to get my car into my hallway to plug it into the USB-C charger in the wall socket…
Are people still charging with wires?!

Just use this instead:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 03:26 AM   #11
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strudenilist View Post
I’m glad some steps are being taken toward making charging plugs and sockets in EVs more unified. I think it will save a lot of money and materials. It should be like with smartphones: just make them all with type-c charging sockets and solve tons of issues people have with different charging cables.
Screw that, everything should go type 2 LOL, including phones LOL
      04-28-2023, 02:49 PM   #12
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Plug&Charge is coming to BMW this year.
Still no word on which models will get it. Hopefully it’ll be available to most existing models via OTA update.
      04-28-2023, 04:11 PM   #13
EVix
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s, BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4M50Guy View Post
Plug&Charge is coming to BMW this year.
Still no word on which models will get it. Hopefully it’ll be available to most existing models via OTA update.
Sorry, but Bmw currently supports Plug and Charge, I've been using it since 2019 in my i3S and currently also in my iX3 M Sport, it only requires that the charging network and the vehicle support it as well, the first time you connect to a charger that supports it the network app will ask you if you want to activate it and from there it works automatically for the following charges in that charging network. For example, the Zunder charging network in Spain (https://www.zunder.com/en/faqs/)
I haven't tried Ionity yet because I use the BMW charging card and not the Ionity app yet.

Zunder app sample:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 04:46 PM   #14
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVix View Post
Sorry, but Bmw currently supports Plug and Charge, I've been using it since 2019 in my i3S and currently also in my iX3 M Sport, it only requires that the charging network and the vehicle support it as well, the first time you connect to a charger that supports it the network app will ask you if you want to activate it and from there it works automatically for the following charges in that charging network. For example, the Zunder charging network in Spain (https://www.zunder.com/en/faqs/)
I haven't tried Ionity yet because I use the BMW charging card and not the Ionity app yet.

Zunder app sample:
That’s poor marketing and terminology from the CPO. Plug&Charge is coming via update to BMW in mid-2023.
True Plug&Charge (ISO 15118) works with a wallet app in the car. They’ll likely expand the existing BMW Charging app that’s built into iDrive (it currently doesn’t do a lot). It will be one of the first cars to support multi contract Plug&Charge so you’ll be able to add multiple roaming accounts (e.g. Shell Recharge) to the wallet.

Anything on a BMW right now is AutoCharge. That works by linking the car’s MAC address to the CPO so they can automatically start the charge when you plug in. This works well but is a proprietary setup and won’t work when you go to a different CPO to charge.

BMW Plug&Charge press release:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...cts-in-the-car

Here is an example of how Fastned implement AutoCharge:
Attached Images

Last edited by i4M50Guy; 04-28-2023 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 02:16 AM   #15
EVix
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s, BMW iX3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4M50Guy View Post
That’s poor marketing and terminology from the CPO. Plug&Charge is coming via update to BMW in mid-2023.
True Plug&Charge (ISO 15118) works with a wallet app in the car. They’ll likely expand the existing BMW Charging app that’s built into iDrive (it currently doesn’t do a lot). It will be one of the first cars to support multi contract Plug&Charge so you’ll be able to add multiple roaming accounts (e.g. Shell Recharge) to the wallet.

Anything on a BMW right now is AutoCharge. That works by linking the car’s MAC address to the CPO so they can automatically start the charge when you plug in. This works well but is a proprietary setup and won’t work when you go to a different CPO to charge.

BMW Plug&Charge press release:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...cts-in-the-car

Here is an example of how Fastned implement AutoCharge:
From your explanation and answer I share almost everything with you but in my humble opinion I don't think it is a "poor marketing and terminology from the CPO", in my opinion it is a semantic question because the essence of Plug & Charge does currently exist, basically because I can plug in and charge my vehicle without the need for a card or app and that is currently the case with CPOs like these, I wish more CPOs would do it like this currently, another different thing is that evolution is there and like everything else it will be much better when it is multi CPO, 100% compatible with ISO 15118, wallet, and of course when it is done from the vehicle without the need for the charging point to have an internet connection at that moment because that is very important and safe in my opinion. Thank you for your comments and contribution, regards
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 05:56 AM   #16
Andras6800
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Hello all,

based on this thread I have the impression, my 2023 built iX3 M Sport shall support Plug & Charge, however I am not able to activate it. The BMW charging portal requires a Provisioning Certificate ID what seems to be not identical with WIN. At least is resulting an error message when I adding my WIN.
Do you know, where could I find my PCID?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 04:57 PM   #17
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It’s supposed to be the VIN - I queried this with my local dealer and BMW UK and both said this would not be available in the UK.

Mine is an LCI model.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 06:16 AM   #18
Andras6800
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
It’s supposed to be the VIN - I queried this with my local dealer and BMW UK and both said this would not be available in the UK.

Mine is an LCI model.
Mine is also LCI. Production date is 2023-05-20. Some articles talking about support from 2nd half of 2023. But I am not sure. Possibly there was some HW changes. However mine already got the updated switch style gear switch.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2024, 05:11 PM   #19
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andras6800 View Post
Mine is also LCI. Production date is 2023-05-20. Some articles talking about support from 2nd half of 2023. But I am not sure. Possibly there was some HW changes. However mine already got the updated switch style gear switch.
Mine also has the updated gear control, as do all LCIs.

I very much doubt we will get P&C.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 02:01 PM   #20
Andras6800
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Mine also has the updated gear control, as do all LCIs.

I very much doubt we will get P&C.
There was 2 type of gear control even within LCI.

Pre LCI: https://www.google.com/imgres?q=bmw%...CcUQM3oECBsQAA

LCI: https://www.google.com/imgres?q=bmw%...CcUQM3oECE4QAA

LCI New: https://www.google.com/imgres?q=bmw%...CcUQM3oECGMQAA
Appreciate 0