E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pre LCI e9x Modernization Mods

02-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
vroly666
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Wink Pre LCI e9x Modernization Mods

I have an 07 e92 and I’m looking to sort of bring the car into the present.Ive seen things like a digital dash and new steering wheels with the paddles. I’m wondering if anybody has any other mods that they know of and/or have used in the past. I’m mainly thinking things like center console wireless charging pad, windshield hud, better/modern entertainment system, dynamic door lighting anything of the sort to make it less dated. That can be hardwired and integrated smoothly into the interior. Cosmetics/practical and impractical things are all welcomed suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #2
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
LCI light switch, LCI cup holder covers, X1 steering wheel trim(sport).

Door lighting was an option and a charging pad is easy if you have the open cubbies. The rest just seems cheap and tacky to me(may as well buy a newer car at that point)
Appreciate 3
e90yyc2426.50
3PedalJake2613.50
19jdog86.50
      02-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

My preference has been to embrace the timeless appearance of these interiors, but I think that relies on a hump-free dash. (I’m happy I don’t have iDrive.)

On my list: LED interior lights, but the good ones not the shitty ass ones that look ricey AF; heated steering wheel, tho this doesn’t necessarily change appearance.

Man, other than that and the stuff neilvan mentioned, nothing comes to mind that will integrate well and not cheapen the look. More modern infotainment is a tough one because things are so far ahead I don’t know what you could get that would really make you happy. Especially HUD. Only way you’re making that look OE is by cutting into your dash and the amount of work needed to do that for something only you will ever see just doesn’t seem worth it.
JonOhh672.00
pedro2u285.00
      02-04-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
My preference has been to embrace the timeless appearance of these interiors, but I think that relies on a hump-free dash. (I’m happy I don’t have iDrive.)

On my list: LED interior lights, but the good ones not the shitty ass ones that look ricey AF; heated steering wheel, tho this doesn’t necessarily change appearance.

Man, other than that and the stuff neilvan mentioned, nothing comes to mind that will integrate well and not cheapen the look. More modern infotainment is a tough one because things are so far ahead I don’t know what you could get that would really make you happy. Especially HUD. Only way you’re making that look OE is by cutting into your dash and the amount of work needed to do that for something only you will ever see just doesn’t seem worth it.
+1 for the single hump. If it has iDrive I'd go for it because there's not much you could do to make that hideous monstrosity look worse. The single hump dash looks spartan even by standards of the time, that is to say it has the real drivers car aesthetics of a WW2 fighter plane, as it should be. I have a magnetic phone mount that slips into the CD player slot, that is all this car needs.
Appreciate 1
e90yyc2426.50
      02-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #5
vroly666
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post

I do have a single hump dash, thats why I’m not too hasty to make any decisions to make it look tacky/ricey. Really just trying to bring the luxury side of it to todays standards. Not as far as some people go with putting chandeliers in the car or a fridge, but more so sleek and technical, with quality of life improvements.

I would like a heated steering wheel but I’m not sure i can really ever find anything that has the bmw paddles already integrated that spin with the wheel etc, that have any nice features like that.
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      02-04-2022, 01:08 PM   #6
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroly666 View Post
I do have a single hump dash, thats why I’m not too hasty to make any decisions to make it look tacky/ricey. Really just trying to bring the luxury side of it to todays standards. Not as far as some people go with putting chandeliers in the car or a fridge, but more so sleek and technical, with quality of life improvements.

I would like a heated steering wheel but I’m not sure i can really ever find anything that has the bmw paddles already integrated that spin with the wheel etc, that have any nice features like that.
Plenty of heated steering wheels with paddles - indeed my car came with it from the factory (2009 335i with Sport + Cold Weather).

Best solution is to look for a steering wheel off of an E84 X1…
The factory head unit in these cars is really good - an Alpine or Becker unit for the BMW Professional head unit, and a Harman/Becker amp in the CCC/CIC.

With an ’07 335i, you already have the Logic 7 system. Consider upgrading to the BMW Individual speakers for truly excellent sound.
You can also upgrade the amplifier firmware for (possibly) better sound / tweaked DSP profile settings.
To get iPod / iPhone intergration, consider a MULF-2, if it’s not already installed (do you have a USB port in the center console?).
Will also provide Bluetooth phone support.

Personally, I can’t stand Android, and I’d certainly not want it anywhere near my car.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but are you sure you don’t already have ambient lighting in the interior? Pretty sure it was standard in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 02:50 PM   #7
vroly666
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
Plenty of heated steering wheels with paddles - indeed my car came with it from the factory (2009 335i with Sport + Cold Weather).

Best solution is to look for a steering wheel off of an E84 X1…
The factory head unit in these cars is really good - an Alpine or Becker unit for the BMW Professional head unit, and a Harman/Becker amp in the CCC/CIC.

With an ’07 335i, you already have the Logic 7 system. Consider upgrading to the BMW Individual speakers for truly excellent sound.
You can also upgrade the amplifier firmware for (possibly) better sound / tweaked DSP profile settings.
To get iPod / iPhone intergration, consider a MULF-2, if it’s not already installed (do you have a USB port in the center console?).

Personally, I can’t stand Android, and I’d certainly not want it anywhere near my car.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but are you sure you don’t already have ambient lighting in the interior? Pretty sure it was standard in the USA.

I do have a usb port in the center console, and I do have ambient lighting, but I have a blue exterior with a gray interior, and I’m wanting to change the color from the auburn/orange. Thanks for the tip on the steering wheel ill take a look around.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #8
pedro2u
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3 6MT, '08 E92 335Xi

Garage List
I've done the LED interior changeover as suggested and really liked the difference. I also think the lighter dated the interior and console, so I installed the sunglass tray/ashtray delete. Real clean look
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
e90yyc2426.50
Fredo201.50
      02-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #9
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Quote:
Not sure what MULF-2 means here, I understand that is related to bluetooth but can it enable bluetooth audio?

I have no idrive and bluetooth calling. Would love to enable bluetooth audio without one of the $200 usb dongles but maybe thats what you’re referring to
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:22 PM   #10
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
I went and swapped out all interior lighting with LEDs, and think that in itself makes the cars look a lot more contemporary. Cheap, quick, easy job. Give it a shot and see.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:41 PM   #11
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimyjohn View Post
Not sure what MULF-2 means here, I understand that is related to bluetooth but can it enable bluetooth audio?

I have no idrive and bluetooth calling. Would love to enable bluetooth audio without one of the $200 usb dongles but maybe thats what you’re referring to
Ah, should’ve been more descriptive!

There are three possible multimedia modules available for the E90:

TCU - Bluetooth phone and BMW Assist
MULF-2 - iPod, Bluetooth phone

(mid 2011 on) Combox - iPod, Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth Audio (only with iDrive)

If you have a USB port in your center console, then you have an MULF-2 (and you have a TCU too if there’s an SOS button in the top button console). Without iDrive you can’t get Bluetooth Audio from BMW. There is a dongle which plugs into the center USB port to enable Bluetooth Audio, though - I believe it’s the Tune2Air.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:57 PM   #12
Fiasco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi E90

What are you guys all using for interior lights? Branded? Ebay?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:46 PM   #13
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
Planned to get this one: BMW P/N 63122212788

I find most aftermarket LED options either too bright, too blue, or both. I'm definitely interested in opinions on what others have used though, because it's not like I want to spend $175 on 10 lights...
      02-06-2022, 10:51 PM   #14
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Grocery bag hooks in the trunk.
Bmw logo door lights.
Aftermarket radio with Apple play.
Interior ambient lighting strips, I haven’t installed these yet, but I find the orange ones to be the best. I ordered a blue set, and it does look nice, but it just doesn’t match the rest of the orange lighting from all the buttons.
I have an aftermarket HUD, but it does not come close to oem HUD.
Silver ring volume and climate control knobs.
Steering wheel wrap
Performance shifter.

Other items people mentioned.
LCI headlight switch
X1 steering wheel trim
Led interior lighting.
Lci cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:06 PM   #15
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiasco View Post
FWIW, I've been going with the SiriusLED brand available on Amazon.

These go for footwell, door sill, and dome lights: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186P1MUW

And these for some miscellaneous other lights (I think vanity mirror, maybe trunk, and glove box?): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRCK23E
You might need the 41mm ones, rather than these 36mm ones, but I think it's the 36 ones.

I don't mind the factory incandescent lighting, but I think the LEDs really punch it up and modernize it. And they are soooo much brighter. Just on that functional level they're worth it.

I also installed some license plate LED lights from ebay... easy to swap in, and look good, but really bright. Too bright. I'd like to put a little tint on them to mellow them out some.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #16
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I just purchased the Ziza kit from ECS, was 50% off.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ziza-par...waAo_dEALw_wcB

Also OP I'll be having my black sun visors fs soon they have the airbag warning removed like Euro spec that really updates interior I think too.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 03:05 AM   #17
Ripx
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

- LCI tail light
- led wheel steering
- trim
- custom dash ( white light )
- alcantara roof
- carbon handbrake
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #18
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Quote:
Ah, should’ve been more descriptive!

There are three possible multimedia modules available for the E90:

TCU - Bluetooth phone and BMW Assist
MULF-2 - iPod, Bluetooth phone

(mid 2011 on) Combox - iPod, Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth Audio (only with iDrive)

If you have a USB port in your center console, then you have an MULF-2 (and you have a TCU too if there’s an SOS button in the top button console). Without iDrive you can’t get Bluetooth Audio from BMW. There is a dongle which plugs into the center USB port to enable Bluetooth Audio, though - I believe it’s the Tune2Air.
Very helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0