BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
Agent22
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 on order

IX3 Cross Shopping

Wondered what everyone else has recently considered? I have just ordered an iX3 M Sport Premier Pro in Sophistico Grey with added Laser Lights - due for delivery end of March all being well (it’s already built and in transit).

I have had a very long line of 3.0l diesels ( mostly BMW) and changed in October last year to a new Macan 2.0l petrol, which I was disappointed with as had to be worked hard to get any performance. I didn’t want the fuel bills of the V6 so have just sold it and decided to go for an EV.

I want all the toys and gadgets, some luxury and a good drive. A range of over 200 miles was important.

Looked at the following:

Tesla Model Y - had one on order but after the test drive cancelled. Terrible crashy ride and very noisy with bangs and rattles from the suspension in the cabin. Big design flaw I think here.

Jag I Pace - lovely drive and quick - nice cabin but some dated tech and to add all the toys on takes the price to £80k. Unsure on the side profile.

Audi Q4 - A bit small and very cheap feeling interior. Expensive for what you get though certainly very popular.

Audi E Tron Sportback - Probably joint top of my list with the iX3. Very nice quality interior but need the ‘55’ for the range over 200 miles and when specked up was again at £80k plus.

BMW ix - Lovely interior and certainly looks better in the flesh but again, need the ix50 for the range and that was at £100k!

Merc EQC - This felt quite small inside to me which is disappointing as had high hopes as the interior looks very good. Range on this also a concern.

So in the end the iX3 seemed to tick all the boxes for me. None of these are cheap cars but it seemed hard to beat the all round package in my opinion.

Have I missed anything? Interested to hear other people’s thoughts.

Looking forward now to end of March as in the meantime I am driving a hired ID3…..
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2022, 12:55 PM   #2
RedJon
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport Pro

Good summary. I could have got 22.5% off an iPace but too concerned over reliability. Like you’ve said if you are one for all the toys (I am) the iX3 MSport Pro is great value.

Having said that, my iX3 has been in the garage for a week to have the oil pump replaced already…….
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
maRRty75
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent22 View Post
Wondered what everyone else has recently considered? I have just ordered an iX3 M Sport Premier Pro in Sophistico Grey with added Laser Lights - due for delivery end of March all being well (it's already built and in transit).

I have had a very long line of 3.0l diesels ( mostly BMW) and changed in October last year to a new Macan 2.0l petrol, which I was disappointed with as had to be worked hard to get any performance. I didn't want the fuel bills of the V6 so have just sold it and decided to go for an EV.

I want all the toys and gadgets, some luxury and a good drive. A range of over 200 miles was important.

Looked at the following:

Tesla Model Y - had one on order but after the test drive cancelled. Terrible crashy ride and very noisy with bangs and rattles from the suspension in the cabin. Big design flaw I think here.

Jag I Pace - lovely drive and quick - nice cabin but some dated tech and to add all the toys on takes the price to £80k. Unsure on the side profile.

Audi Q4 - A bit small and very cheap feeling interior. Expensive for what you get though certainly very popular.

Audi E Tron Sportback - Probably joint top of my list with the iX3. Very nice quality interior but need the '55' for the range over 200 miles and when specked up was again at £80k plus.

BMW ix - Lovely interior and certainly looks better in the flesh but again, need the ix50 for the range and that was at £100k!

Merc EQC - This felt quite small inside to me which is disappointing as had high hopes as the interior looks very good. Range on this also a concern.

So in the end the iX3 seemed to tick all the boxes for me. None of these are cheap cars but it seemed hard to beat the all round package in my opinion.

Have I missed anything? Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Looking forward now to end of March as in the meantime I am driving a hired ID3…..
I pretty much agree and also have the ix3 on order. Q4 was awful inside, Model Y reviews about poor ride quality, noisy cabin etc turned me off, all others ruled out for same reasons as yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
Bert13
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Other options

There is also the Mustang Mach-E, ID4/5(and now 6) GTX, Skoda Enyaq (coupe version has just been previewed). All a bit lower down the market, but certainly worth a look depending on your priorities. Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq5, Polestar 2if you like large, but less suv like cars. Volvo XC40 looks nice, if somewhat smaller and pricey (for what it is).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
Agent22
United Kingdom
Rep

True these are all available but not really in the same league as the ones I mentioned. Yes some are quicker or have longer range but the overall packages and appeal are certainly from a slightly different level as has always been the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

I went through similar process before I got the iX3. One of the things that the reviewers seem to focus on is the RRP of the iX3. Whilst it’s quite high in terms of a raw number, the high level of kit, the fact it’s a premium product and the decent PCP rates etc that BMW were / are offering it actually works out quite reasonable. For a comparison I ran some numbers on a Hyundai Ioniq 5, spec’s it up to as close as possible to the iX3 and it worked out more expensive on a PCP. Largely due to the residual being significantly lower after 4 years (10k lower) and in the overall RRP there was about 4k in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:30 AM   #7
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ix3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Wondered what everyone else has recently considered? I have just ordered an iX3 M Sport Premier Pro in Sophistico Grey with added Laser Lights - due for delivery end of March all being well (it’s already built and in transit).

I have had a very long line of 3.0l diesels ( mostly BMW) and changed in October last year to a new Macan 2.0l petrol, which I was disappointed with as had to be worked hard to get any performance. I didn’t want the fuel bills of the V6 so have just sold it and decided to go for an EV.

Looked at the following:

Audi E Tron Sportback - Probably joint top of my list with the iX3. Very nice quality interior but need the ‘55’ for the range over 200 miles and when specked up was again at £80k plus.

Have I missed anything? Interested to hear other people’s thoughts.

Great summary of the cars mentioned btw.

My list was also very similar (E tron 55 and I-pace but also had a peak at EV6 GT Line awd). I also considered the i4 M50 too but in all honestly 2 young children, just wouldn't cut it.

I think your car might be on the same shipment as mine (same colour and laser lights too) hope it is not the same car LOL, mine has tow bar so i hope that is the difference. Do you know if the ship has actually left. My impression was that it would leave on Harmony leader but not sure if this has landed in Dalian yet?
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 03:00 AM   #8
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukkha156 View Post
I think your car might be on the same shipment as mine (same colour and laser lights too) hope it is not the same car LOL, mine has tow bar so i hope that is the difference.
BMW have taken a lesson from the airlines. They are now selling the same vehicle to multiple owners, in the hope that there will be some no shows. If you don't turn up promptly, they will bump you into an i3...
Appreciate 1
RedJon115.50
      02-09-2022, 02:11 PM   #9
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

I looked at/tried most of the above having disregarded the IX3 in the first sweep, road tested IX3 almost as a last resort, but 2 minutes into the drive had already decided IX3 was the one.
M Sport Pro on order, due for build in March, delivery around June.
Appreciate 1
RedJon115.50
      02-09-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
Agent22
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wondered what everyone else has recently considered? I have just ordered an iX3 M Sport Premier Pro in Sophistico Grey with added Laser Lights - due for delivery end of March all being well (it's already built and in transit).

I have had a very long line of 3.0l diesels ( mostly BMW) and changed in October last year to a new Macan 2.0l petrol, which I was disappointed with as had to be worked hard to get any performance. I didn't want the fuel bills of the V6 so have just sold it and decided to go for an EV.

Looked at the following:

Audi E Tron Sportback - Probably joint top of my list with the iX3. Very nice quality interior but need the '55' for the range over 200 miles and when specked up was again at £80k plus.

Have I missed anything? Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Great summary of the cars mentioned btw.

My list was also very similar (E tron 55 and I-pace but also had a peak at EV6 GT Line awd). I also considered the i4 M50 too but in all honestly 2 young children, just wouldn't cut it.

I think your car might be on the same shipment as mine (same colour and laser lights too) hope it is not the same car LOL, mine has tow bar so i hope that is the difference. Do you know if the ship has actually left. My impression was that it would leave on Harmony leader but not sure if this has landed in Dalian yet?
I've no idea on shipments or how to track them. I do have a VIN so is it possible from that?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #11
Agent22
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
I looked at/tried most of the above having disregarded the IX3 in the first sweep, road tested IX3 almost as a last resort, but 2 minutes into the drive had already decided IX3 was the one.
M Sport Pro on order, due for build in March, delivery around June.
That about a minute longer than it took me 😂
Appreciate 1
EVFan60.00
      02-10-2022, 01:30 AM   #12
that_dude
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

I'm finding myself in a pickle and this thread underlines my issue. 2.5 months after placing an order through my employer's leasing scheme (Lex), BMW/Lex's dealer partner (Sytner) is refusing to confirm my order (apparently only doing so if they have a cancelled order they can pick up...?!) and Lex is advising I may want to place an order for a different car.

To make matters worse, apparently we have a company policy that prohibits paid-for extras on electric cars (no idea why, doesn't make sense). This means for the iX3 that if there's a cancellation with a towbar or the laser lights, I will not be able to get my hands on them.
But more importantly, having looked at the alternatives, I would have no chance of picking a car of same quality and kit as the iX3 (maybe apart from the i-Pace but aside from quality concerns, that car looks like it shrunk in the wash )
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:59 AM   #13
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've no idea on shipments or how to track them. I do have a VIN so is it possible from that?
Hi Agent, if you goto the bmw uk website and look for the live chat thing, once you are online with that, you can give them your product no (if you have it) if not try the VIN and they will give you the current status. The Harmony leader that i mentioned earlier has actually left Dalian (so yours might be on that one), mine was still waiting for carrier so will get the next boat that is currently around Japan en-route to China on a boat called Antares Leader.

The boat info is all guess work btw but this German forum seems to follow what boat is where etc..

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/ix3-...16.html?page=6
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:10 AM   #14
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_dude View Post
I'm finding myself in a pickle and this thread underlines my issue. 2.5 months after placing an order through my employer's leasing scheme (Lex), BMW/Lex's dealer partner (Sytner) is refusing to confirm my order (apparently only doing so if they have a cancelled order they can pick up...?!) and Lex is advising I may want to place an order for a different car.

To make matters worse, apparently we have a company policy that prohibits paid-for extras on electric cars (no idea why, doesn't make sense). This means for the iX3 that if there's a cancellation with a towbar or the laser lights, I will not be able to get my hands on them.
But more importantly, having looked at the alternatives, I would have no chance of picking a car of same quality and kit as the iX3 (maybe apart from the i-Pace but aside from quality concerns, that car looks like it shrunk in the wash )
Sorry to hear your order woes, but if you do end up having to "settle" for an I-Pace that is not a bad place to be.
I am going the other way (I-Pace to iX3) but if it wasn't for the £20+k price differential the Jaguar would have been right near the top of my list. Quality over the 3.5 years has been pretty good, some software and early adopter issues, but generally a very good car, (very) fast, pretty comfortable, and well put together with no rattles or shakes etc (although, admittedly, at the moment I am waiting to find out how much a failed headlight is going to cost me).
But, of course, if you don't like the "shrunken" look of it then that's probably going to be a deal breaker for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:31 AM   #15
Agent22
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Agent, if you goto the bmw uk website and look for the live chat thing, once you are online with that, you can give them your product no (if you have it) if not try the VIN and they will give you the current status. The Harmony leader that i mentioned earlier has actually left Dalian (so yours might be on that one), mine was still waiting for carrier so will get the next boat that is currently around Japan en-route to China on a boat called Antares Leader.

The boat info is all guess work btw but this German forum seems to follow what boat is where etc..

Thanks I will see if i can give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #16
that_dude
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
Sorry to hear your order woes, but if you do end up having to "settle" for an I-Pace that is not a bad place to be.
I am going the other way (I-Pace to iX3) but if it wasn't for the £20+k price differential the Jaguar would have been right near the top of my list. Quality over the 3.5 years has been pretty good, some software and early adopter issues, but generally a very good car, (very) fast, pretty comfortable, and well put together with no rattles or shakes etc (although, admittedly, at the moment I am waiting to find out how much a failed headlight is going to cost me).
But, of course, if you don't like the "shrunken" look of it then that's probably going to be a deal breaker for you.
Hi EVFan and thanks for your input. It's a good-looking car and it comes specced very well (which is an important due to the no-extras company policy ). It was in my original top 3.
I just can't make sense of its size - I wonder what your take is on the interior space, particularly the boot, when compared to the iX3. I want to be able to put the two kids with their bikes and bags in it for a week away; is that workable?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #17
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
...particularly the boot, when compared to the iX3. I want to be able to put the two kids with their bikes and bags in it for a week...
I'm not sure what the NSPCC would have to say about that! I guess it will be OK as long as you allow them to charge their devices, and occasionally throw Haribo over the rear seats.
Appreciate 1
RedJon115.50
      02-10-2022, 10:25 PM   #18
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi EVFan and thanks for your input. It's a good-looking car and it comes specced very well (which is an important due to the no-extras company policy ). It was in my original top 3.
I just can't make sense of its size - I wonder what your take is on the interior space, particularly the boot, when compared to the iX3. I want to be able to put the two kids with their bikes and bags in it for a week away; is that workable?
Unfortunately I am not the best person to answer that as 90% of the time I am driving solo and only ever had people in the rear seats a handful of times.
Other than the weekly shop I've not really loaded the boot up either.
All I can say is that it has always done whatever I needed.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #19
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

Quote:

I would like to get a status of my incoming car but on my new vehicle order I have an order number (5 digits) but not this required product number (7 digits) so I can’t proceed on the live chat, any ideas please
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #20
jukkha156
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The shadow View Post
I would like to get a status of my incoming car but on my new vehicle order I have an order number (5 digits) but not this required product number (7 digits) so I can’t proceed on the live chat, any ideas please
Hi there, from my dealer, i have something called a Vehicle inquiry dealer. At the top left of this sheet is Production no <7digits> The rest of this sheet shows the production week, expected delivery date and other info like that, including the full spec codes for the car. My dealer actually only sent me this when i questioned if the Harmon Kardon is definitely included (as the quote spec didn't show it) so maybe ask the same question, or just ask them to send you the full spec sheet outright. Let me know how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #21
The shadow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CP

I have a new vehicle order from my dealer which states all the options etc but no prod number, i I’m going to email and request as you say thanks
Appreciate 0