F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbo stx82r n55 ewg I need more information
GetBMWParts

02-08-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30

Turbo stx82r n55 ewg I need more information

I just bought this turbo from a person who had bought it and I never assembled it, it's a steam stx82r n55 but they don't do it anymore apparently they made very few of them and I don't have any information if anyone knows more about this turbo or advises me I'm going to assemble next week to see the results but I am very curious to know more about this turbo n55 stx82r steam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Do you have a manifold with it?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:59 PM   #3
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Do you have a manifold with it?
Yes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #4
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

but I still haven't found information about this turbo on any page, only about the stx76 but the one I bought is stx82r
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Never heard of it
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

The only thing I know at the moment is what it said in the description of the item before buying it.

""bmw n55 turbo upgrade. GTX3582R 800hp
It's for the pneumatic wastegate n55 years. Direct replacement. Ceramic ball bearings. I bought it from a shop named Spool performance. It was never installed because the car it was going into was totaled before installation. The replacement car is now a m240 with different turbo so unfortunately it won't fit. I certainly wish it would because it's an amazing well built turbo.
If it's not everything said in the description, return it, I'll except returns as long as it hasn't been used. I paid $2,920, I wish the shop was cool enough to except return or exchanges but yeah. The shop I bought it from didn't build it, they just sold it. If I had to guess, I would bet that this turbo is exactly what the future pure800 for the n55 is going to be. I can't say for sure but I'd be willing to bet.""
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

With that manifold that turbo would be pressed to make anything over 600. I get that the wheel sizes are bigger than a PS2 or pretty much any other "stage 2" turbo, but it'll fall way short of that 800hp statement. See pic below.

All the other Chinese turbos use that same manifold. (Shuenk, Vargas GC, streamspeed, Kinugawa, and possibly others). The pure800 does use a slightly different manifold, but I'm willing to bet the area for exhaust flow necessary is still too small to produce the 800 number. That's why I'm assuming there hasn't been any updates on it in over a year. Streamspeed stopped making anything bigger than what they currently offer on their website (I believe it's the 76r) because they weren't getting the performance that they would've liked (this was posted on one of the boards). I've done plenty of research on this and stumbled across different companies selling what looks to be basically the same turbo.

If you're ok with about 500-600whp (depending on how hard it's pushed) and more than likely slower spool than a PS2, keep it. Otherwise send it back.
Attached Images

02-10-2022, 02:08 PM   #8
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
With that manifold that turbo would be pressed to make anything over 600. I get that the wheel sizes are bigger than a PS2 or pretty much any other "stage 2" turbo, but it'll fall way short of that 800hp statement. See pic below.

All the other Chinese turbos use that same manifold. (Shuenk, Vargas GC, streamspeed, Kinugawa, and possibly others). The pure800 does use a slightly different manifold, but I'm willing to bet the area for exhaust flow necessary is still too small to produce the 800 number. That's why I'm assuming there hasn't been any updates on it in over a year. Streamspeed stopped making anything bigger than what they currently offer on their website (I believe it's the 76r) because they weren't getting the performance that they would've liked (this was posted on one of the boards). I've done plenty of research on this and stumbled across different companies selling what looks to be basically the same turbo.

If you're ok with about 500-600whp (depending on how hard it's pushed) and more than likely slower spool than a PS2, keep it. Otherwise send it back.
Quote:

ok I understand what you are saying but I don't understand why the pure 2 would do more than this if this reel in the center is bigger and the propella offer practically the performance of the garrent, it is apparently unique I think steam did very little why search all over goole and not even information appears on steam this is a stx82r
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #9
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.kunky View Post
ok I understand what you are saying but I don't understand why the pure 2 would do more than this if this reel in the center is bigger and the propella offer practically the performance of the garrent, it is apparently unique I think steam did very little why search all over goole and not even information appears on steam this is a stx82r
The pure would do more than this because the flow capabilities of the manifold, are more in line with the flow capabilities of the turbo. The PS2/Turbofold is still not ideal. The pure will spool up faster, and provide better boost. Where as the larger turbo here will take much longer to spool, IF there is even enough flow through the manifold to get it fully spooled before redline. Even the pure has significant drawbacks. If the exhaust manifold/intake manifold pressure ratio is not kept track of, the Pure will self destruct. It's only going to be worse with a larger turbo, on the same low flow style log manifold.
Appreciate 1
5w20283.50
      02-10-2022, 06:59 PM   #10
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I never stated that the Pure PS2 would do more than that streamspeed. If anything, I'm willing to bet they produce similar numbers but with the PS2 having better spool characteristics. There simply isn't enough exhaust flow going through that manifold into the turbo to take advantage of those CHRA wheel sizes. Look at the dyno plot below of their 78r version which is slightly smaller than what you have. 21psi and 9 degrees of timing (unknown fuel) and it makes peaks torque at roughly 4000rpm. A proper flowing setup with a turbo of that size would have better spool and probably make 100hp more.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1548999

Edit: Not sure if they've changed things up, but years ago they were claiming that those CHRA's were ball bearing when in fact they were NOT ball bearing which was proven by Vargas on another board.

Notice how they downsized the turbo wheel to accommodate a quicker spool in their last post.
Attached Images

02-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #11
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I never stated that the Pure PS2 would do more than that streamspeed. If anything, I'm willing to bet they produce similar numbers but with the PS2 having better spool characteristics. There simply isn't enough exhaust flow going through that manifold into the turbo to take advantage of those CHRA wheel sizes. Look at the dyno plot below of their 78r version which is slightly smaller than what you have. 21psi and 9 degrees of timing (unknown fuel) and it makes peaks torque at roughly 4000rpm. A proper flowing setup with a turbo of that size would have better spool and probably make 100hp more.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1548999

Edit: Not sure if they've changed things up, but years ago they were claiming that those CHRA's were ball bearing when in fact they were NOT ball bearing which was proven by Vargas on another board.

Notice how they downsized the turbo wheel to accommodate a quicker spool in their last post.
it is my version it is not the stx72 it is the stx82r version they made it limited with everything improved from the x72 turbo that are graphics of the stx72 turbo they have not yet been published graph of the turbos that I have. you are right maybe because of the turbo casing there will not be enough flow to take full advantage of them, but this turbo that I have is very different from the old version of steam turbo, the pure 2 are better than the stx72, but the 82r have many specifications that outnumber him by many
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:27 PM   #12
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

It doesn't matter if the internals support 1000hp
Manifold ain't gonna flow enough to spool that whirly boy. Larger wheels on a restrictive manifold mean more lag, less power usually, and high cylinder pressure/heat. Tubular manifold with a turbo like that would be different, but still not 800hp
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:41 PM   #13
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
it is my version it is not the stx72 it is the stx82r version they made it limited with everything improved from the x72 turbo that are graphics of the stx72 turbo they have not yet been published graph of the turbos that I have. you are right maybe because of the turbo casing there will not be enough flow to take full advantage of them, but this turbo that I have is very different from the old version of steam turbo, the pure 2 are better than the stx72, but the 82r have many specifications that outnumber him by many
OP, There's a reason why steam doesn't sell this turbo for the n55 anymore. Why sell 2 turbos with the same performance? They stopped selling it because it simply does not perform. Here's a quote from their FB "SteamSpeed Return To Torah yes, we plan on making it also PWG. What HP? The CHRA should be able to do 600-700 whp assuming there are no bottlenecks in the system. Testing will show where the bottlenecks are in the system...and how to address them." This was almost a year ago. No updates and its safe to assume that they found a bottleneck.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:47 PM   #14
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
Quote:
OP, There's a reason why steam doesn't sell this turbo for the n55 anymore. Why sell 2 turbos with the same performance? They stopped selling it because it simply does not perform. Here's a quote from their FB "SteamSpeed Return To Torah yes, we plan on making it also PWG. What HP? The CHRA should be able to do 600-700 whp assuming there are no bottlenecks in the system. Testing will show where the bottlenecks are in the system...and how to address them." This was almost a year ago. No updates and its safe to assume that they found a bottleneck.
I actually read that and the fb thing seems to be the same shit with a different name I really don't know what to do if it would be worth putting together, I imagine that the puree are still better than this I still looked for information but everything indicates that pure is better
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 07:03 AM   #15
n55david
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually read that and the fb thing seems to be the same shit with a different name I really don't know what to do if it would be worth putting together, I imagine that the puree are still better than this I still looked for information but everything indicates that pure is better
Yeah, same restriction as pure but with more lag. Pure already has lag and this turbo will be worse because of the sizing.. you don't want that turbo. Send it back.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #16
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i xdrive

Mr Kunky, you asked for advise what and your getting the same answer from the guys that have been there and done that. We have tried and instead of listening to the advice you dont like what your hearing and your arguing with what your being told. Im assuming you got it for a great price .... ever ask yourself why?? Theres a reason the pure has a good following because with the stock manny it simply works pretty much as good as it can get. To get better your simply going to need a better exhaust manifold with better flow period. The best in my opinion is the speedtech but its pricey.

If your set om doing dont ask for opinion just do it get a dyno and see how it works it may do great but youll never know til you try best of luck to you
2013 335I Xdrive. Pure Stage 2, Dorsch HPFP, Mppk intake with AFE drop in, Evolution charge pipe, Wagner comp evo2 intercooler, Evolution downpipe, XHP stage 4, MHD David Shoup tuned. Next AEM meth injection.
Appreciate 3
n55david1297.00
LA1Z24363.50
      02-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #17
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

The problem isn't the turbo, it could provide plenty of power.

The issue is the manifold exit flange and turbo entry flange are too small to flow enough air into a turbo that big.

Does the manifold/turbine housing have a gasket between the mating surfaces?

If so, you may be able to port both out slightly. In theory, that could get you more airflow - but I still don't think it would flow enough to drive a turbo that big.

It might get you enough air to drive a slightly smaller turbo, though.

EDIT - looking closely at it, it looks like it uses a m/f joining surface instead of a gasket, but I see plenty of room to port it.

I doubt it will be enough to get that big turbo up to it's full potential, but it would certainly help it.

Additionally, you could try changing the 10-blade turbine wheel out for an 11- or 12-blade wheel to help that big turbo spool up faster.

That would also help limit airflow up top which, in this case, seems like it might be a good thing.

Last edited by terryd5150; 02-12-2022 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #18
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
I just bought this turbo from a person who had bought it and I never assembled it, it's a steam stx82r n55 but they don't do it anymore apparently they made very few of them and I don't have any information if anyone knows more about this turbo or advises me I'm going to assemble next week to see the results but I am very curious to know more about this turbo n55 stx82r steam
Did you do anything with this turbo?

FYI - Kunigawa still sells this exact turbo; they call it the Stage 4L. You can find it on their website.

Kunigawa rates it at 500-650WHP.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #19
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
Quote:

FYI - Kunigawa still sells this exact turbo; they call it the Stage 4L. You can find it on their website.

Damn good looking out
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2022, 10:42 PM   #20
Mr.kunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
Quote:

I finally assembled it the turbo had a problem with gasoline I changed the hpfp I put the b58tu "SUPRA' and the car is running well super well I have a little lag as the colleagues said here I am still waiting for the custom tune I already have an appointment with Dave tune , the car supposedly runs harder than before just waiting for the result of the dyno and the tune for a while I'm on stage 2+ MHD I barely go up 16psi and I'm ahead of the 335i n54 fbo with turbo upgrade
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2022, 05:52 AM   #21
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I would have sent it back, but now you can just hoe for the best
Appreciate 1
n55david1297.00
      04-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #22
n55david