BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

INFO000009 Technical Enhancement

This appeared on the BMW Recall site today. Does anyone have a clue what this is all about?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
This appeared on the BMW Recall site today. Does anyone have a clue what this is all about?
Just sent an email to my dealer.

Cool thing, i look for recall on the BMW UK site (using my VIN) and it gives me this open technical enhancement.Do the same on the Belgium site and tells me everything is fine and nothing to be done....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroribeiro View Post
Just sent an email to my dealer.

Cool thing, i look for recall on the BMW UK site (using my VIN) and it gives me this open technical enhancement.Do the same on the Belgium site and tells me everything is fine and nothing to be done....
Maybe this is a right-hand drive enhancement?!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
EVFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 MS Pro 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Maybe this is a right-hand drive enhancement?!
What, they are going to convert all cars to right-hand drive?
Good, it's about time the rest of the world realised which is the right (correct) side of the road to drive
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 01:19 AM   #5
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVFan View Post
What, they are going to convert all cars to right-hand drive?
Good, it's about time the rest of the world realised which is the right (correct) side of the road to drive
ahaha, good one! As a guy from my town said once: If the English would rule, we would have to build the roads the other way around. ahahahahah

Now more seriously, @GDEvans, if BMW has a single DB, and knowing that (I hope!!) my VIN is unique, well, they should know anywhere in the world if I need a recall or not, right? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 02:34 AM   #6
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroribeiro View Post
Now more seriously, @GDEvans, if BMW has a single DB, and knowing that (I hope!!) my VIN is unique, well, they should know anywhere in the world if I need a recall or not, right? ;-)
If BMW had reliable IT and quality control, they would have known which batteries we incorrectly manufactured, and the VIN of which vehicles they were fitted to...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 03:24 AM   #7
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

My dealer is not seeing the same info and neither is BMW UK. They are updating their IT systems at the moment!

I have just spoken to BMW UK: it is not aware of this technical enhancement. BMW build great cars but their IT and CS needs a bit of work.

Last edited by DaveCV; 02-11-2022 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:21 AM   #8
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

Quote:
My dealer is not seeing the same info and neither is BMW UK. They are updating their IT systems at the moment!

I have just spoken to BMW UK: it is not aware of this technical enhancement. BMW build great cars but their IT and CS needs a bit of work.
My dealer says the same: There is nothing to be done for your car. Always check with us and not online....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 04:43 AM   #9
KSTR35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

My dealer has advised that they are aware of the recall but haven't been provided with the software update yet so they will call when they have the update in a couple of weeks,
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:06 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR35 View Post
My dealer has advised that they are aware of the recall but haven't been provided with the software update yet so they will call when they have the update in a couple of weeks,
My dealer has just called me back to say that there are no known recalls on my iX3 and that the code is just an information marker to tell dealers that they must not carry out any software upgrades locally. All software upgrades will be carried out by BMW Germany to avoid potential issues with the BMS. This is very much inline with what BMW used to do when the i3 was first released.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:09 AM   #11
silver82
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTR35 View Post
My dealer has just called me back to say that there are no known recalls on my iX3 and that the code is just an information marker to tell dealers that they must not carry out any software upgrades locally. All software upgrades will be carried out by BMW Germany to avoid potential issues with the BMS. This is very much inline with what BMW used to do when the i3 was first released.
Spoke with a dealer at Marshalls in the UK. They can see the recall, something to do with the battery and I have booked my car in for this Monday.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:16 AM   #12
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

It is of course possible that your iX3 may be the subject of a tech recall whereas other iX3s built at a different time are not. My i3 120 had its EME replaced when BMW detected that some dodgy semiconductors had been used which they tracked down to a particular batch.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:29 AM   #13
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

"My dealer says the same: There is nothing to be done for your car. Always check with us and not online...."

"My dealer has advised that they are aware of the recall but haven't been provided with the software update yet so they will call when they have the update in a couple of weeks,"

"My dealer has just called me back to say that there are no known recalls on my iX3 and that the code is just an information marker to tell dealers that they must not carry out any software upgrades locally."

"Spoke with a dealer at Marshalls in the UK. They can see the recall, something to do with the battery and I have booked my car in for this Monday."

Four different dealers. Four completely different responses. So which is it? Is there or is there not a recall? Can it or can it not be done now? Crazy situation.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 08:06 AM   #14
pedroribeiro
Private
Rep

Information from the head office in Belgium

From a technical point of view (of the recall information application itself), I can understand why - if you check the UK URL- this VIN gets triggered.
Will however not be the case if you check this VIN on our BeLux website because we decided an alternative communication to our technicians.

The so-called recall isn’t a recall, but an information for our technicians about a short programming restriction window of some weeks, applicable to the current drive train software.
If our technicians, during a repair, decides that a drivetrain software update is necessary, he needs to contact the NSC (untill march 2022) to finale the software update of the car.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      02-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #15
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

Quote:
"My dealer says the same: There is nothing to be done for your car. Always check with us and not online...."

"My dealer has advised that they are aware of the recall but haven't been provided with the software update yet so they will call when they have the update in a couple of weeks,"

"My dealer has just called me back to say that there are no known recalls on my iX3 and that the code is just an information marker to tell dealers that they must not carry out any software upgrades locally."

"Spoke with a dealer at Marshalls in the UK. They can see the recall, something to do with the battery and I have booked my car in for this Monday."

Four different dealers. Four completely different responses. So which is it? Is there or is there not a recall? Can it or can it not be done now? Crazy situation.
I called BMW service center today, they said the "INFO000009" recall is only informative and related to the below (cooling of battery in summer temperatures, if 21-07 or 21-11 updates have been applied), but they said they won't touch the car unless it gives an error message or if the car should behave abnormally (not cooling the battery), they can then send the invoice to BMW with this recall number.

"There is currently a restriction on updating the Pre-FL to the current software I-level 21-11-5xx.
Vehicles with an older I-step should not be updated to the upper or I-step 21-07-5xx, this would deactivate the electric cold condenser.

For this reason, perhaps no OTA update is currently offered and therefore it cannot be said for sure whether the PreFL will receive the battery conditioning later, since this was only contained in the 21-07-5xx.

The problem should be solved with the next release (probably March)."

Last edited by lakmus; 02-11-2022 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #16
t41l589
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Premier Edition Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post
I called BMW service center today, they said the "INFO000009" recall is only informative and related to the below (cooling of battery in summer temperatures, if 21-07 or 21-11 updates have been applied), but they said they won't touch the car unless it gives an error message or if the car should behave abnormally (not cooling the battery), they can then send the invoice to BMW with this recall number.

"There is currently a restriction on updating the Pre-FL to the current software I-level 21-11-5xx.
Vehicles with an older I-step should not be updated to the upper or I-step 21-07-5xx, this would deactivate the electric cold condenser.

For this reason, perhaps no OTA update is currently offered and therefore it cannot be said for sure whether the PreFL will receive the battery conditioning later, since this was only contained in the 21-07-5xx.

This might explain why my Pre-LCI is still on 03/21 and no updates showing.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #17
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Mines in on Monday for it, so has to be something. Mines currently on 07/2021, have to see, I'm just hoping doesn't undo all the coding I've done 😂
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #18
silver82
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakmus View Post
Quote:

I got my appointment cancelled and this reply explains a lot to things. Firstly it explains why my first dealer told be that they couldn't update my car from 07/21 to 11/21, whereas I managed to update it from a different dealer. Which means in both 07/21 and 11/21 the issue is there but with 11/21 at least the driver profile bug was fixed. The dealer that spoke with today told me something similar, that the campaign showing an issue with the compressor but there is nothing to update to and will have to wait until 03/22 is released.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 04:18 AM   #19
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

None of this confusion inspires confidence in BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 07:26 AM   #20
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Odd my dealer phoned to make sure I was going... Hmmm might call em and cancel the appointment
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 05:26 AM   #21
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

I see that BMW UK has removed the technical enhancement warning from its Recall website.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 06:13 PM   #22
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I phoned and cancelled the appointment, may as well not fix what ain't broke just yet
Appreciate 0