E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > UK E91 2007 Headlight Query

02-11-2022, 04:49 AM   #1
jaywhituk
Rep
Drives: E91

UK E91 2007 Headlight Query

Hello,

Firstly, apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but i couldn't find the answer specifically for the UK Right hand drive variant.

I have a 2007 E91 with angel eye head light option and I need to give the bulbs a once over.
Some online help \ tutorials I've seens say i need to remove the wheel and inner wheel arch cover in order to check \ change the angel eye bulbs.

Is this correct?
Sounds a bit extreme, especially as there is an access point within the wheel arch?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:00 AM   #2
jacbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCI

What engine do you have?

I managed to replace mine without removing anything on my 330d. But i do have small hands... was quite fiddly at times tbf
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #3
jaywhituk
Rep

I have a 2007 318i.
Went to the local auto shop (not Halfords) who fit bulbs, and they mentioned removing wheels and bumper?
Surely this can’t be right…
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:28 PM   #4
Mike K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 328i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhituk View Post
Hello,

Firstly, apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but i couldn't find the answer specifically for the UK Right hand drive variant.

I have a 2007 E91 with angel eye head light option and I need to give the bulbs a once over.
Some online help \ tutorials I've seens say i need to remove the wheel and inner wheel arch cover in order to check \ change the angel eye bulbs.

Is this correct?
Sounds a bit extreme, especially as there is an access point within the wheel arch?

Thanks in advance.
For my 2011 e91 stateside, removing the wheel arch is probably the easiest path to the headlights rear access. It’s not too bad really. A few 8 and 10mm’s and then those little plastic push pins (try not to lose these) on the wheel arch and off she pops. Good time to clean out/ power wash all the crud under the liner too.

I’ve pulled all front and back arch liners to clean out the crud and it’s really not that bad. I pulled the front splash shield too. Good luck!

I’ve been to Coventry btw when I worked for The Kinks years back. I have a TR6 too and I know Triumph was made there!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:59 PM   #5
Frankenstein_135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 LCI xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhituk View Post
Hello,

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.
I realize that there are a million different headlight configurations, so hopefully mine applies in your case. I have a 2011 (LCI) E91 with bi-Xenon headlights in the U.S.

In my case I did not need to remove the wheel arch in order to change the bulb for the angel eyes. Just remove the cover in the picture, which should give you access. You need to feel where the bulb goes, but it is definitely doable without removing the wheel arch.

The extra wire you see in my picture is because of LED conversion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #6
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
For my 2011 e91 stateside, removing the wheel arch is probably the easiest path to the headlights rear access. It’s not too bad really. A few 8 and 10mm’s and then those little plastic push pins (try not to lose these) on the wheel arch and off she pops. Good time to clean out/ power wash all the crud under the liner too.

I’ve pulled all front and back arch liners to clean out the crud and it’s really not that bad. I pulled the front splash shield too. Good luck!
this.

can you access the bulbs through the little access hole? Yes.
Is it a lot easier and less frustrating to just pull the front half of the liner down? Also yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein_135 View Post
I realize that there are a million different headlight configurations, so hopefully mine applies in your case. I have a 2011 (LCI) E91 with bi-Xenon headlights in the U.S.

In my case I did not need to remove the wheel arch in order to change the bulb for the angel eyes. Just remove the cover in the picture, which should give you access. You need to feel where the bulb goes, but it is definitely doable without removing the wheel arch.

The extra wire you see in my picture is because of LED conversion.
the pre lci headlights have a little square box that holds a goofy bulb in it. you have to wedge a prybar under the locking tabs at a pretty specific angle to pop them free, then it's two torx screws holding in the bulb and lense.

It's way easier to do it with the wheel liner removed.

Here's the back of a prelci euro bi xenon, but my US ones look the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Mike K332.00
      02-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #8
jaywhituk
Rep

Thank you all for your feedback!
Really don’t want to start removing the arch lining etc if I really don’t need to. Mostly because it’s using a hammer to break a walnut! Lol
As it’s the passenger side, it looks like I can access it from above if I remove the main light cover as well.
I might give that a go and see how I get on…
Firstly though I need to find replacement bulb(s)…..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #9
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

The small access door does not give you access to the cover for the angel eye bulbs.
The angle eye bulbs are also held on by 2 long Torx screws.
You can probably do it from the top, but it will be difficult to guide the socket into the torx screws.
It will also be a lot more difficult to line up the new bulb and screws back in place.

Removing the wheel/ wheel liner will be faster than trying to do it from the top.
E93 335i-DINAN tuned. Alpine over Saddle brown
Appreciate 1
Mike K332.00
      03-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #10
jaywhituk
Rep

Gave in and left to a mechanic i use...
He found that the light lense is faulty due to water inside the light :-(
Looks like the last person to look at it broke the covers etc :-(
Nevermind and who knew bulbs could be so difficult!....
Thanks all for your comments...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #11
bizzleb109
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i convertible

on my 2007 e93 335i to change the angel eyes I can do it from top. To change the main headlight bulb need to remove inner wheel arch cover for easy access.
Appreciate 0