bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-18-2022, 01:23 AM   #1
702MoxyBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i purple

G42 Launch Control question

So this may be a dumb question but can someone break down the procedure for this? When I start to do this it makes me panic a bit when I get to 4k rpms as I am holding the brake down. As far as I know you go 1 press of traction control button, sport plus mode and slide the gear over to the S1 gearing right? Then supposedly Brake all the way down and Gas all the way down? This can't be good for the transmission. Again, sorry for the question but I have a 6MT with my old 335i so this is new territory.

Thanks guys.
      02-18-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
Vudumonkey25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i x Mercedes CLS550

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702MoxyBMW View Post
So this may be a dumb question but can someone break down the procedure for this? When I start to do this it makes me panic a bit when I get to 4k rpms as I am holding the brake down. As far as I know you go 1 press of traction control button, sport plus mode and slide the gear over to the S1 gearing right? Then supposedly Brake all the way down and Gas all the way down? This can't be good for the transmission. Again, sorry for the question but I have a 6MT with my old 335i so this is new territory.

Thanks guys.
Put car in sport plus
Press traction control one time (goes to sport traction)
Move shifter over towards you (m/s position)
Brake to the floor
Gas to the floor (you'll feel a little click)
Says launch activated at bottom of the dash. You have 3 seconds to release the brake and fly!

Maybe you aren't hitting kickdown with the gas pedal. Press it to the floor and then it clicks and goes a bit further

Revs are about 2-3k I believe
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201842.50
      02-18-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
giolanzarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:

Thanks guys.
I was having the same issue. You just have to commit. You have the procedure correct, just press REALLY hard on the break and make sure that when you floor the gas you do it all the way, there's a little click after you think you've floored it. Just hold it there and then let go
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
roho3323
The Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6, BMW M240i, BMW 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giolanzarin View Post
Quote:

Thanks guys.
I was having the same issue. You just have to commit. You have the procedure correct, just press REALLY hard on the break and make sure that when you floor the gas you do it all the way, there's a little click after you think you've floored it. Just hold it there and then let go
After launch do you shift the gears manually or is this process all in auto mode?

2010 BMW M6
2007 BMW 335i,2012 Audi S4-retired
2016 BMW 750i M-Sport
2015 BMW M235i-retired, 2022 M240i
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #5
giolanzarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roho3323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by giolanzarin View Post
Quote:

Thanks guys.
After launch do you shift the gears or is this process all auto?
It's all auto. It only happened to me one time when it didnt but it was because the actual launch control didnt activate.

P.S. I recommend having the sports mod HUD display on beacause it shows a cool animation right before you hit the redline
Appreciate 1
roho3323162.00