BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) Photos, Videos and Builds

02-19-2022, 04:51 PM   #1
giolanzarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Just washed my M240i. Technique / equipment tips?

This is the first car I've cared enough to keep clean and wash by hand. I'm still learning the right process to wash it perfectly and drying it the proper way. If anyone has any tips or equipment they use to wash their car please leave them below. I particularly struggle with removing the excess dirt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      02-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #2
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

I would recommend a pressure washer with the two bucket method. I am sometimes lazy and depending on how dirty the car is, I will just use 1 bucket with grit guard. I currently use "Adams Wash & Wax" soap as well as Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray). I feel that the current combo works well together as well as saves on time. I used to put on Carnuba paste wax but that takes forever and I like the Meguiars products so far.

buy a good waffle weave microfiber towel and a good microfiber mitt to wipe down the car. I use The Rag Company for my towels (personal preference).
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2022, 07:18 AM   #3
Nicolas05
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW g42 M240i

Search obessed garage on youtube… a bit obsessed and not the nicest guy, but the greatest car cleaning company…
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I personally like the Chemical Guys... lots of good products and plenty of helpful video tutorials on how to use different products and proper care.
https://www.chemicalguys.com/

Basic Rules!
1. Don't ever go through automatic car washes.... ever
2. Use multiple buckets, keep a separate wheel bucket (and tools) from your paint bucket
3. Don't drop your sponge, mitt, towel etc... if you do, use a new one!
4. Don't let the dealership wash your car, because they will break all of the above rules

Other recommendations:
Use a pressure washer, but be cautious if you have PPF
Get a foam cannon, fantastic and satisfying
Try a spray sealant, after washing and drying (I use V07)

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
giolanzarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryo- View Post
I would recommend a pressure washer with the two bucket method. I am sometimes lazy and depending on how dirty the car is, I will just use 1 bucket with grit guard. I currently use "Adams Wash & Wax" soap as well as Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax (spray). I feel that the current combo works well together as well as saves on time. I used to put on Carnuba paste wax but that takes forever and I like the Meguiars products so far.

buy a good waffle weave microfiber towel and a good microfiber mitt to wipe down the car. I use The Rag Company for my towels (personal preference).
Forgot to mention but, I live in an apartment so I wash my car at those stalls with the pressure washer, just to rinse the car and put soap on it. Could I use the pressure washer just to rinse the car and just bring the two buckets to finish it off or should I do it a different way?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giolanzarin View Post
Forgot to mention but, I live in an apartment so I wash my car at those stalls with the pressure washer, just to rinse the car and put soap on it. Could I use the pressure washer just to rinse the car and just bring the two buckets to finish it off or should I do it a different way?
I would recommend bringing buckets and a mitt along with using their equipment. this is what I do:

I use the pressure washer with the foam cannon attachment to soap up the entire car and let it sit for a few minutes. I then spray it off and pour the left over soap from the cannon into a bucket filled with water and use a microfiber mitt to go around the entire car. some bugs and stuff are hard to get off so you might need to use some pressure with the mitt on the front end. after, I just rinse the entire car off again and dry it off.
Appreciate 1