BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2022, 02:35 AM   #1
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

OCPP - BMW App

Does anyone know if the BMW App is OCPP compliant? Octopus Energy in the UK offers an Intelligent tariff that can charge EVs to a pre-set SOC in the early hours of the morning. The tariff works with OCPP-compliant EVSEs or cars via their Apps.

It has been reported recently that the tariff now works with the E-Golf and IPace but I have seen nothing yet regarding BMWs. If the timings are being set in the car then, as I understand it, Octopus needs log in information for the App.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 03:28 AM   #2
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

As far as I've been able to work out, the BMW app is not OCPP compliant as of now. However there is a HomeAssistant plugin for BMW that has a 'charge now' remote capability.
https://www.home-assistant.io/integr...onnected_drive
https://bimmer-connected.readthedocs...RemoteServices

I use this to get charge status information from my iX3 but have not had the time to try and bridge this with OCPP to automate anything yet, though in theory it would be possible.
Appreciate 1
DaveCV37.00
      03-02-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
Does anyone know if the BMW App is OCPP compliant? Octopus Energy in the UK offers an Intelligent tariff that can charge EVs to a pre-set SOC in the early hours of the morning. The tariff works with OCPP-compliant EVSEs or cars via their Apps.

It has been reported recently that the tariff now works with the E-Golf and IPace but I have seen nothing yet regarding BMWs. If the timings are being set in the car then, as I understand it, Octopus needs log in information for the App.
I have also looked at the Intelligent Octopus tariff. It is pretty unclear on their website whether it only works with specific vehicles, or only the OCPP compliant ones.

What is clear is you need either a Tesla or Wallbox charger - hence why I bought the latter. My understanding is that they will connect to the charger to start the charge - the car just needs to be set to charge immediately. You also need an iPhone - Android implementation is on the way.
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      03-02-2022, 07:43 AM   #4
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post

What is clear is you need either a Tesla or Wallbox charger - hence why I bought the latter. My understanding is that they will connect to the charger to start the charge - the car just needs to be set to charge immediately. You also need an iPhone - Android implementation is on the way.
There was a report yesterday on another forum that a VW E-Golf owner was able to set up Intelligent charging with a Zappi 2. Octopus seems to be moving ahead with vehicle rather than EVSE configurations. Jaguar and Ford are on the list but not BMW.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 11:49 PM   #5
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
There was a report yesterday on another forum that a VW E-Golf owner was able to set up Intelligent charging with a Zappi 2. Octopus seems to be moving ahead with vehicle rather than EVSE configurations. Jaguar and Ford are on the list but not BMW.
I own a Zappi V2 and it is capable of managing charging on tariff rate. Beware it needs additional wiring between your distribution panel and the Zappi itself.
I do have reduced tariff on scheduled hours, so I programmed my charging to take place during “low tariff” and when my solar panels supply enough.
For the “actual low tariff” you will need a contact in your distribution panel which is operated by your energy supplier to indicate high/low tariff times. In Holland we do not have this (yet) but I understood UK has a system like that.
MyEnergi (Zappi manufacturer) has proven to be very helpful in supplying info.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
I own a Zappi V2 and it is capable of managing charging on tariff rate. Beware it needs additional wiring between your distribution panel and the Zappi itself.
I do have reduced tariff on scheduled hours, so I programmed my charging to take place during “low tariff” and when my solar panels supply enough.
For the “actual low tariff” you will need a contact in your distribution panel which is operated by your energy supplier to indicate high/low tariff times. In Holland we do not have this (yet) but I understood UK has a system like that.
MyEnergi (Zappi manufacturer) has proven to be very helpful in supplying info.
This is what Octopus Energy UK is offering to Tesla and some other EV owners. Octopus controls the charging times via an OCPP-enabled EVSE or via the owner's App. The charging periods are different each night depending on the wholesale cost of electricity.

https://octopus.energy/intelligent-octopus/

It would be great if MyEnergi could enable this via the App. Getting BMW on side might be a bit trickier as they reluctant to admit that there is a Charge Delayed issue with Eco+.
Appreciate 0