bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

03-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #1
Buckeye980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50.i

Detail Day!

after picking her up last weekend, this weekend is dedicated to the detail.

last night i did a two step wash with a de-contaminating foam bath, followed by a stripping clean slate soap.
moved over from the main page

followed that with rinse of iron deposit remove to ensure it was 100% clean.

this morning was a one step polish followed by a 3 step ceramic coating.

1 coat kamakazi zipang, 1 coat kamakazi miyabi coat, final coat of zipang

also debadged the x5 and m50i logos.
tomorrow ill take the rims of and give them a good wipe down with break cleaner and put a couple coats of ceramic coating on the inside of the rims.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Tch-Nrd129.00
GrussGott18225.00
      03-14-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye980 View Post

this morning was a one step polish followed by a 3 step ceramic coating.
super badass!

would love to hear your thoughts on doing the one-step, what your experience level is, how long it took you, frustrations / misses, victories, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Buckeye980
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
super badass!

would love to hear your thoughts on doing the one-step, what your experience level is, how long it took you, frustrations / misses, victories, etc.
i thought the car looked pretty flawless from the dealer. it was only there a few days, so i was debating even doing the light polish.

but after the good wash i noticed a spot or two of what may have been a water spot, so i figured id run a fine polish over it.

ive polished a tahoe and a jeep before this, but have been scared to go too crazy with multiple levels of polish.

i had a black range rover done professionally and it looked like hell coming from the factory.

but even after the professional polish and modesta coating, i could never keep it clean. even with my deionized water in the garage. so i had to get rid of the black car. never again.

however, i couldnt get the damn tires off. realized the x5 didnt come with a jack or tire iron. tried the jack and iron from my jeep and it wouldnt fit. so for now, no coating on the wheels.

turned out really nice. went on and off pretty easy. but found a couple high spots, as its hard to see on white.

but my shoulders are sore as hell after that 2 1/2 day detail.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18225.00
      03-14-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye980 View Post

but my shoulders are sore as hell after that 2 1/2 day detail.
Great write up! yeah, that's a big set of work ... what tools did you use for your polish?

On the tires, I'm sure you know, but you could use something easy like Turtle wax seal-n-shine or Flex Wax or even easier you use some mckees hydro blue which is just spray on rinse off.

I use TW Flex Wax and it allows me to spray off 95% of the brake dust and then I user rinseless wash (which I then rinse off ) and a MF for the rest.

I'm using TRC's Gauntlets now for just about everything - they make a great 12x12 and so I use 1-2 per wheel and then another set for the wash. I like their Drago for applying LSP (I use TWFW there too) since it's got two different sides.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 05:53 AM   #5
Buckeye980
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Great write up! yeah, that's a big set of work ... what tools did you use for your polish?

On the tires, I'm sure you know, but you could use something easy like Turtle wax seal-n-shine or Flex Wax or even easier you use some mckees hydro blue which is just spray on rinse off.

I use TW Flex Wax and it allows me to spray off 95% of the brake dust and then I user rinseless wash (which I then rinse off ) and a MF for the rest.

I'm using TRC's Gauntlets now for just about everything - they make a great 12x12 and so I use 1-2 per wheel and then another set for the wash. I like their Drago for applying LSP (I use TWFW there too) since it's got two different sides.

i have Torqx polisher and had some new Rupes pads used Carpro Essense and cut on a couple spots after the light polish. then used carpro eraser before the coating.

i have a few left over from previous cars that i was thinking of using on the wheels. Gtechniq C2v3, Carpro Reload and a couple other spray coatings that i fell for on a facebook ad. figured they would be fine with a little wheel woolie, microfiber towel and blood from reaching in there.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18225.00
      05-09-2022, 12:11 AM   #6
jiw
Registered
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i

O-H
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #7
Buckeye980
Enlisted Member