bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-18-2022, 01:45 PM   #1
trstew11
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

JB4 easy to remove/reinstall?

I want to install a VRSF DP and a BMS CAI, but am wondering just how much these will help without a tune. If I need warranty work done, is the JB4 fairly easy to remove/reinstall, and is a dealer likely to notice that the car was formerly piggybacked (either visually or diagnostically)?
Without the JB4, is it really worth the DP and CAI (aside from the sound)?
Thanks for any advice for a B58 newbie!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
square
Rep
Drives: M3/M240I

There’s a lot of in depth info regarding the detection ability of the dealers on this forum (mostly check 3 series b58) on detections. They can and will detect engine parameters out of spec and flag you as questionable. They won’t investigate it further unless an engine related claim comes up, but my understanding is if they plug in you’re flagged.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #3
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240ix

I have gone through all of this on my x2m35i and as long as you take your car in and set it to map 0 stock with the Bluetooth module via app they will not know. That is if you hid it real good.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2022, 11:14 PM   #4
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

One more comment is that you would like to get a product that has more sensor taps than the JB4 has. The only thing going for this product which is a big deal is it has a built in failsafe versus other products that have more taps that reliably provide more power is great but there are no fail safes. I have tested many and worked with Burger and others direct for my prior X2M35i. However and recently, I believe Racechip finally has the best of all worlds for piggy back solutions with taps, features, and failsafes. As of like a month ago for B58 engines of our type but not up on site yet.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/3-s...-369lb-ft.html
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:40 AM   #5
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yep easy

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 02:41 AM   #6
BeemerBaron
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8bmw View Post
One more comment is that you would like to get a product that has more sensor taps than the JB4 has. The only thing going for this product which is a big deal is it has a built in failsafe versus other products that have more taps that reliably provide more power is great but there are no fail safes. I have tested many and worked with Burger and others direct for my prior X2M35i. However and recently, I believe Racechip finally has the best of all worlds for piggy back solutions with taps, features, and failsafes. As of like a month ago for B58 engines of our type but not up on site yet.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/3-s...-369lb-ft.html
It appears the RaceChip has the same connections as a JB4 (2 plugs), so logical to assume it has the same number of sensors and therefore effectively the same failsafes.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:38 AM   #7
xcelir8bmw
Major
United_States
Rep

RPM sensor tap should of been added. Or wasn't it? Hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 04:41 PM   #8
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

Anything and everything can be found if the BMW team digs hard enough. We had a M235 gran coup flagged and voided for using race chip.

If you are thinking about a DP you will need a tune regardless, I think you should be more worried about the non-oem part in the vehicle voiding your warranty. If you have an issue, are you going to remove and reinstall the factory DP just to get service and then you are going to tell your technician you have no idea why youre having an issue and send them in the wrong direction on your vehicle, only for BMW to remotely scan your car and them find all of the sensors reading out of range, and boom, no more warranty.

Granted the B58 has a lot of research and dev for performance parts and the car I mentioned was a 4cyl so not sure the gains possible compared to the easily 1000whp capabilities of the B58 but just remember even if your not flagged, they can still see everything your engine has sensed. I would consider a plug in but I would not replace anything like a cat unless youre ready to lose your warranty in the chance you have an issue.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2022, 05:06 PM   #9
trstew11
Rep

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=28721311

Will BMW flip out if I simply install a CAI?? Without a JB4, it would essentially be for sound, but now you've got me wondering... if I can't even replace the DP without worry, can I even replace the air filter?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2022, 01:47 PM   #10
giolanzarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstew11 View Post
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28721311

Will BMW flip out if I simply install a CAI?? Without a JB4, it would essentially be for sound, but now you've got me wondering... if I can't even replace the DP without worry, can I even replace the air filter?
They can't void your warranty if they can't prove the aftermarket part caused it. Nothing wrong with having a DP installed. Now, if you're turbo blows up or something then yes they could say it was because of the downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 11:04 PM   #11
JDM_240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i (Thundernight)

Quote:
Originally Posted by giolanzarin View Post
They can't void your warranty if they can't prove the aftermarket part caused it. Nothing wrong with having a DP installed. Now, if you're turbo blows up or something then yes they could say it was because of the downpipe.
I’ve first hand seen a 2020 m235 with 9k on it lose its warranty due to an engine issue and having an exhaust and a race chip. Just know what you’re getting into and know that with enough digging, they can see anything different in the way the car is running and your tech won’t hesitate to let them know the engine has been tampered with. Just a heads up.

Granted as I stated, the b58 is a highly capable engine and can take more without batting an eye, just know the can of worms you are getting into with more than an exhaust, intake and a piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #12
Red_sir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_240 View Post
I’ve first hand seen a 2020 m235 with 9k on it lose its warranty due to an engine issue and having an exhaust and a race chip. Just know what you’re getting into and know that with enough digging, they can see anything different in the way the car is running and your tech won’t hesitate to let them know the engine has been tampered with. Just a heads up.

Granted as I stated, the b58 is a highly capable engine and can take more without batting an eye, just know the can of worms you are getting into with more than an exhaust, intake and a piggyback.
What was the engine issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #13
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_240 View Post

This was likely due to the Race Chip piggyback in particular. I'd imagine BMWNA would be hard-pressed to link any engine issue to a modified exhaust.

Intake is a bit more risky since you are replacing the factory air box. I recall reading something on here about how some guy got totally screwed over because he had an aftermarket intake and experienced some sort of engine failure.

DP without a tune should be relatively safe, although I would always recommend being upfront with your SA regarding mods and finding out where they stand before handing over the keys. My SA was super cool about bringing in my stage 2 FBO/catless F32, but he did mention that had I not told him ahead of time I would have been automatically been flagged by the new iSTA system.

Last edited by idontsave; 03-27-2022 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 0