BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
JM90
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Protection against theft

Hello,

I'm picking up my iX3 next week.

It could be paranoia, but I'm afraid that one day I wake up and they broke into to the car/stole the car.

I know it has an alarm, but in our region there were multiple incidents of steering wheel/airbag theft on older BMW's.
This all happens within 2 minutes max.

So does anyone know if BMW learned from those thefts and installed some anti theft measures?
I believe the comfort access hack is not possible anymore as it's disabled when no motion of the key has been detected?

But is it overkill to invest in a DiskLock?

Let me know if you had any issues with your (i)X3 ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 07:31 PM   #2
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Had my airbag stolen on my old 3 series, also seen an entire Sat nav stolen from a X6, in both cases there wasn't much that could have been done apart from parking in a garage maybe.

The front windows on the M Sport Pro are laminated, hopefully this would slow them down.

The other major security flaw was the keyless entry, I believe the newer keys have movement sensors, so put them down when at home, or if you want to be super safe, buy a faraday cage/wallet for them.

The bottom line for me is make sure your insurance is upto date and if directly leasing/owning, make sure you have GAP
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #3
keninuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

I had a Disklock some years ago and I think it ended up at the recycling centre as I simply couldn't be bothered to carry it around/put it on!

I purchased a Stoplock Pro Elite back in December due to £16 off but having used it for the first time the other week when my iX3 arrived, I immediately gave it away to a family member as I couldn't seem to get it on without it leaving an indentation in my brand new steering wheel.

Having looked around I found the following which due to the rubber pads hasn't so far left a mark. It just requires a quarter turn of the wheel and it rests neatly on the top of the wheel. I got it in the grey/silver as it is quite visible to someone looking in and I am not a fan of the bright yellow. As a bonus it comes with 3 keys which is perhaps handy for a spare at home and work.

https://www.milenco.com/products/aut...eel-lock-1-1-1

I admit it provides nothing in the way of airbag protection which seems popular these days but hopefully as I will actually use this one it will at least deter the criminal looking for a quick theft of the vehicle itself. Failing that there is the Car+GAP insurance.

Probably only useful for customers in the UK but I ordered from here and it arrived promptly and well packaged.

https://www.thejourneycentre.co.uk//...-p16715/s19562
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Johna78
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer-s View Post
The other major security flaw was the keyless entry, I believe the newer keys have movement sensors, so put them down when at home, or if you want to be super safe, buy a faraday cage/wallet for them.

The bottom line for me is make sure your insurance is upto date and if directly leasing/owning, make sure you have GAP

I heard something similar which would actually be the most sensible solution, however I haven't been able to find any confirmation, have you?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 05:57 AM   #5
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer-s View Post
...buy a faraday cage/wallet for them.
Any metal box or biscuit tin will do the trick. I use an only Oakley shades metal case; it doesn't look like a key case when laying around.

Alternatively, keep the keys more than about 4m from the front door (or anywhere else thieves can get to). That way the keys are out of range of their key-jacking equipment.

Use something that doesn't stand out - a biscuit tin in the kitchen looks normal, but is pretty out of place on a hall table. Whatever you use, put the keys inside and test it close to the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #6
lakmus
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX3 Impressive

I haven't seen a need for extra security,

"BMW told us that the Comfort Access system on the smart key has a "security system that automatically cuts off the signal emitted from the key when it has been stationary for a set amount of time".
We believe this is two minutes; the key cannot be activated immediately. However, when the motion sensor technology hasn't cut the signal the key's code can still be picked up and we were able to steal the X3 in 60 seconds. When the motion sensor technology is working, this would prevent the car from being stolen."

https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-the...re-cars/n19875
Appreciate 0