BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    BMW Genius - Anything but, or actively concealing order information?

03-30-2022, 03:33 PM   #1
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
About 2 weeks ago, I called the 800 BMW Genius phone number asking for a build week, and any estimated dates they could give me for my built to order M5C. They told me a build week, but were really evasive on dates. I know production dates and the like are subject to change/not guaranteed, etc., especially in this climate. I hung up the phone and let it be.

5 days ago, I saw my status go from "order received" to "scheduled for production," so today I called the 800 BMW Genius phone number again for a build week and any dates they could give me.

I did not disclose my previous conversation with the agent I had spiked to 2 weeks earlier. The agent first asked me what I had been told by my dealer, seemingly because he wanted to give me an answer that lined up with whatever they said. I stated that I did had no such information, and that was the reason for my call. I was intentionally vague about the timeline my dealer had supplied me with (approximately 90 days for delivery to me based on their allocation date).

After being put on hold for a few minutes, the agent came back and repeated three times that on the date of my status change, I was "scheduled for daily productions pack." I asked specifically what that meant in laymen's terms. He stated it meant that that the vehicle had started production already. This just did not make sense for obvious reasons, and is obviously untrue. Anyone who has placed order for built to order M cars (or any BMW for that matter) is familiar with production status codes, their general chronological order, as well as the elapsed time between particular steps in the process. I then asked him what my build week was several times, and he replied that he doesn't see that information on his end. I know from previous experience that, of course, this is BS. I hung up.

Called back again about an hour later hoping to get another agent, which I did. Explained to the new agent my previous call and my frustration. He told me that my "required production date" was the date I placed my order. Again, that made no sense. Then, he told me I had a "substituted" production date that was three days later. Finally, he told me my "confirmed production date" (a date about 7 weeks from today). I have never dealt with such incompetent people. Each agent was worse than the one before it.

Previous threads on the forum have questioned the level of genius these agents actually are, but this seemed like it bordered more on active concealment, which is not discussed on those other threads. On the other hand, I have already read plenty of (slightly older) threads on here about the Genius line providing a plethora of useful information that was way more nuanced than what I've been getting.

Anyone else have a similar experience recently? How are you getting info on your build outside of your CA?
      03-30-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAM5 View Post
About 2 weeks ago, I called the 800 BMW Genius phone number asking for a build week, and any estimated dates they could give me for my built to order M5C. They told me a build week, but were really evasive on dates. I know production dates and the like are subject to change/not guaranteed, etc., especially in this climate. I hung up the phone and let it be.

5 days ago, I saw my status go from "order received" to "scheduled for production," so today I called the 800 BMW Genius phone number again for a build week and any dates they could give me.

I did not disclose my previous conversation with the agent I had spiked to 2 weeks earlier. The agent first asked me what I had been told by my dealer, seemingly because he wanted to give me an answer that lined up with whatever they said. I stated that I did had no such information, and that was the reason for my call. I was intentionally vague about the timeline my dealer had supplied me with (approximately 90 days for delivery to me based on their allocation date).

After being put on hold for a few minutes, the agent came back and repeated three times that on the date of my status change, I was "scheduled for daily productions pack." I asked specifically what that meant in laymen's terms. He stated it meant that that the vehicle had started production already. This just did not make sense for obvious reasons, and is obviously untrue. Anyone who has placed order for built to order M cars (or any BMW for that matter) is familiar with production status codes, their general chronological order, as well as the elapsed time between particular steps in the process. I then asked him what my build week was several times, and he replied that he doesn't see that information on his end. I know from previous experience that, of course, this is BS. I hung up.

Called back again about an hour later hoping to get another agent, which I did. Explained to the new agent my previous call and my frustration. He told me that my "required production date" was the date I placed my order. Again, that made no sense. Then, he told me I had a "substituted" production date that was three days later. Finally, he told me my "confirmed production date" (a date about 7 weeks from today). I have never dealt with such incompetent people. Each agent was worse than the one before it.

Previous threads on the forum have questioned the level of genius these agents actually are, but this seemed like it bordered more on active concealment, which is not discussed on those other threads. On the other hand, I have already read plenty of (slightly older) threads on here about the Genius line providing a plethora of useful information that was way more nuanced than what I've been getting.

Anyone else have a similar experience recently? How are you getting info on your build outside of your CA?
Depends who you get at the genius lol there are different "production dates" și to speak, there is the req (I believe it stands for requested) production date which is something the computer assigns the car when it's ordered based on allocation then there's conf (I'm assuming means confirmed) production date which is the date bmw said hey this is when it's actually gonna be done. And there's act which is actually aka when you car was finished.

Schedules for production aka scheduled for daily production pack means they're getting shit ready for your car and it's schedules to go on the assembly line at some point usually 3-5 days before your estimated or in this case conf production date.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #3
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i, 2022 BMW 540i

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

I made post about this on another tread as well (couple days ago so fairly recent). I got conflicting answers from them for the most part and the forum members were the ones to fill in the gaps for me. In regards to the build week they were pretty helpful.

"I spoke with 2 different geniuses from the Genius Line for the build week. They both confirmed that I was build week 20, but the first one (6 weeks ago) said that the build week is the completion week for production. The second one I talked to (1 week ago) told me that build week is the beginning of production. So which one is it, do you know by any chance?"

The only thing they were weird about was when I asked them when the status would go from order received to scheduled for production he kept saying he cannot disclose that information which I thought was weird.

On a separate note though today I messaged a member from this forum, to call the genius line, who was having trouble with getting info about his build week from his CA. He reached out and got a concrete answer. So it I guess varies a lot from one "genius" to another
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Depends who you get at the genius lol there are different "production dates" și to speak, there is the req (I believe it stands for requested) production date which is something the computer assigns the car when it's ordered based on allocation then there's conf (I'm assuming means confirmed) production date which is the date bmw said hey this is when it's actually gonna be done. And there's act which is actually aka when you car was finished.

Schedules for production aka scheduled for daily production pack means they're getting shit ready for your car and it's schedules to go on the assembly line at some point usually 3-5 days before your estimated or in this case conf production date.
Filled in a whole bunch of gaps for me. Thank you!
      03-30-2022, 09:40 PM   #5
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zb2603 View Post
Quote:

I made post about this on another tread as well (couple days ago so fairly recent). I got conflicting answers from them for the most part and the forum members were the ones to fill in the gaps for me. In regards to the build week they were pretty helpful.

"I spoke with 2 different geniuses from the Genius Line for the build week. They both confirmed that I was build week 20, but the first one (6 weeks ago) said that the build week is the completion week for production. The second one I talked to (1 week ago) told me that build week is the beginning of production. So which one is it, do you know by any chance?"

The only thing they were weird about was when I asked them when the status would go from order received to scheduled for production he kept saying he cannot disclose that information which I thought was weird.

On a separate note though today I messaged a member from this forum, to call the genius line, who was having trouble with getting info about his build week from his CA. He reached out and got a concrete answer. So it I guess varies a lot from one "genius" to another
Thanks for the insight! Though I didn't mention it my initial novel for the sake of (some) brevity, I also got that discrepancy regarding whether the build week is the completion week or the beginning of production. A much older thread on the forum and two articles I read seemed to imply that it's a misconception that it's the start date. All those sources (one of them being an M3 owner I believe who went through the order process) stated quite confidently that build week is the completion week. I will reach out to my CA on this to see if I can get a definite answer. Hopefully it's what I've seen so far, as that might cut down a week or two on the whole process for us.

I saw another thread on a similar subject, but I don't think it was yours. I couldn't find it. But, for the sake of not thread jacking that other post in case it's not yours (sorry, perhaps I should have added this there to begin with, or would that have been the thread jacking? Apparently I've broken some rules of decorum in the past few days…), I'm leaving this here. Will update you as soon I have an answer.
      03-31-2022, 01:25 AM   #6
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the insight! Though I didn't mention it my initial novel for the sake of (some) brevity, I also got that discrepancy regarding whether the build week is the completion week or the beginning of production. A much older thread on the forum and two articles I read seemed to imply that it's a misconception that it's the start date. All those sources (one of them being an M3 owner I believe who went through the order process) stated quite confidently that build week is the completion week. I will reach out to my CA on this to see if I can get a definite answer. Hopefully it's what I've seen so far, as that might cut down a week or two on the whole process for us.

I saw another thread on a similar subject, but I don't think it was yours. I couldn't find it. But, for the sake of not thread jacking that other post in case it's not yours (sorry, perhaps I should have added this there to begin with, or would that have been the thread jacking? Apparently I've broken some rules of decorum in the past few days…), I'm leaving this here. Will update you as soon I have an answer.
Thank you for the feedback. If you are also in the west coast our cars might be on the same ship, lets stay in touch to cross check the updates as we near the build week.

@micvite actually responded and confirmed in the other tread so might have been mine lol. I had also posted it on an G80/82 forum and asked a member who works at a dealership and also confirmed that the build week indeed is the week that the production is completed.

I basically wanted to chime in just to say that they are not the most helpful when there are concepts that are "open to interpretation" but were open to giving factual info such as the build week. Regardless though I think them not being in sync is somewhat creating a confusion so I am really grateful for the forum and how informed/helpful people are.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X7, '22 M5C, '21 Ram

When I called the Genius line yesterday, they told me I was "week 22 and production should start the week of 23 May". So if someone on here can confirm week 22 is indeed 23 May, that would confirm the production week is the start of production.
Appreciate 2
zb26031055.50
      03-31-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for the feedback. If you are also in the west coast our cars might be on the same ship, lets stay in touch to cross check the updates as we near the build week.

@micvite actually responded and confirmed in the other tread so might have been mine lol. I had also posted it on an G80/82 forum and asked a member who works at a dealership and also confirmed that the build week indeed is the week that the production is completed.

I basically wanted to chime in just to say that they are not the most helpful when there are concepts that are "open to interpretation" but were open to giving factual info such as the build week. Regardless though I think them not being in sync is somewhat creating a confusion so I am really grateful for the forum and how informed/helpful people are.
Thanks to both of you! My CA did confirm the build week as being the completion of production as well. On a perhaps somewhat unrelated note, it seems they maintain a record of every time you call that each Genius sees when you call a subsequent time. I had never encountered that before. And I agree with your regarding the forum. It's obvious most owners here are a thousand more knowledgeable then any of the Geniuses I've spoken to thus far.

I am on the east coast, a few hours from the NJ VPC, but I will of course continue to stay in touch with you. It seems our build weeks will be quite close, so at least we should have similar production weeks and our cars may take the ride to Bremerhaven together.

Thanks again for your input! Much appreciated!
      03-31-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moserkm View Post
When I called the Genius line yesterday, they told me I was "week 22 and production should start the week of 23 May". So if someone on here can confirm week 22 is indeed 23 May, that would confirm the production week is the start of production.
May 23 is in fact the 22nd week of the year, but it seems that that week being the start of production would be contra to what many others are saying. I think it's quite likely that if May 23/22nd week is what's being shown for your productions week, that production should be completed by then, not beginning, barring any unanticipated delays.

I will call the Genius line again today in the hopes of coming across someone competent (or, at least honest) and will update you once I know something more.
zb26031055.50
      03-31-2022, 01:53 PM   #10
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Just got off the line with the Genius. She said my car will start production on week 22 (23 May) and it takes approximately 2 weeks for production.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2022, 01:54 PM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just got off the line with the Genius. She said my car will start production on week 22 (23 May) and it takes approximately 2 weeks for production.
Thank you for sharing and congratulations! That is such great news. Interesting that they confirmed that the build week is the start of production. I haven't yet had a chance to call them, but will try to get them on the record to confirm what you were told.

So happy for you!
      03-31-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I am week 20 and thought that May 16-22 was week 20 but if thats the case then week 20 is May 9?
Appreciate 1
KB30052.00
      03-31-2022, 02:52 PM   #13
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
I am week 20 and thought that May 16-22 was week 20 but if thats the case then week 20 is May 9?
Sounds like a good assumption.
Appreciate 1
zb26031055.50
      03-31-2022, 03:12 PM   #14
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for sharing and congratulations! That is such great news. Interesting that they confirmed that the build week is the start of production. I haven't yet had a chance to call them, but will try to get them on the record to confirm what you were told.

So happy for you!
Thanks! By my calculations, I'm thinking best case scenario is a late July delivery and worst case (barring any ships catching fire) a mid-August delivery.
Appreciate 2
zb26031055.50
      03-31-2022, 06:42 PM   #15
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Week 20 is May 9th! Obviously you never know what they'll actually do. Don't want to be the one to get your hopes up.
      03-31-2022, 06:46 PM   #16
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

So happy for you!
Thanks! By my calculations, I'm thinking best case scenario is a late July delivery and worst case (barring any ships catching fire) a mid-August delivery.
I agree with you regarding the timeline. I was doing some searching for a 911 recently, and purchasing was ultimately derailed given everything that happened and the climate in general. All the dealers in my area had their 911s on the Felicity Ace. Please for the love of God, I can't take another ship fire.

By the way, are you showing scheduled for production?
      03-31-2022, 08:19 PM   #17
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Week 20 is May 9th! Obviously you never know what they'll actually do. Don't want to be the one to get your hopes up.
I don't remember how I got the dates May 16-23 but I can swear that it was one of the geniuses that gave it to me lol

Also even though the question was for moserkm, I will be nosey and say that I am still in Order Received, and the status still hasn't changed to Scheduled for Production. Per a member on the forum who works at a dealership it switches its status from 111 to 112 approximately 3 weeks before build week and 150 around 1 week before build week
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2022, 09:44 PM   #18
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't remember how I got the dates May 16-23 but I can swear that it was one of the geniuses that gave it to me lol

Also even though the question was for moserkm, I will be nosey and say that I am still in Order Received, and the status still hasn't changed to Scheduled for Production. Per a member on the forum who works at a dealership it switches its status from 111 to 112 approximately 3 weeks before build week and 150 around 1 week before build week
As is becoming more apparent, many Geniuses are unreliable!

And you're not being nosey! Though I'm somewhat of a noob here (well, longtime listener, only recent caller), I firmly believe the platform exists for all of us to connect, share, and learn from and with one another.

I went from order received to scheduled for production this past Friday. It goes without saying I check MyGarage 5 times a day lol. I'm not sure if 111 is order received, but I know that I went to 112 when it switched on Friday as confirmed by my CA with a screenshot from the dealerships's order tracker. I will update this post when I progress to the next status!

I must ask…do you happen to know if it goes to 112 three weeks before, AND THEN another week before going to 150 (4 weeks total), or is it 3 weeks total that you meant?

See what I mean? Learning from and helping one another…keep us updated, please!

Thank you for your input!
      03-31-2022, 10:02 PM   #19
zb2603
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And you're not being nosey! Though I'm somewhat of a noob here (well, longtime listener, only recent caller), I firmly believe the platform exists for all of us to connect, share, and learn from and with one another.

I went from order received to scheduled for production this past Friday. It goes without saying I check MyGarage 5 times a day lol. I'm not sure if 111 is order received, but I know that I went to 112 when it switched on Friday as confirmed by my CA with a screenshot from the dealerships's order tracker. I will update this post when I progress to the next status!

I must ask…do you happen to know if it goes to 112 three weeks before, AND THEN another week before going to 150 (4 weeks total), or is it 3 weeks total that you meant?

I'm a noob too and people are mostly nice and helpful but then there are some of those who constantly have the need to bash people lol so I try to thread carefully.

Quote:
@calbears I spoke with 2 different geniuses from the Genius Line for the build week. They both confirmed that I was build week 20, but the first one (6 weeks ago) said that the build week is the completion week for production. The second one I talked to (1 week ago) told me that build week is the beginning of production. So which one is it, do you know by any chance?

Also in the system I am still 111, if I am week 20, do you know when I should be going into 112 and then when to 150?

Really appreciate it!
"The build week is completion. You should go 112 about 3 weeks before that and 150 about 2 weeks before week 20"

This was the conversation I had with another member I believe he works at a dealership in Northern California and he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I am 111 (Order Received) thats why I asked him when it would be 112 (Scheduled for Production) and above was his response. So to answer your question 112 would be 3 weeks before build week and then 150 1 week before build week. I check the My Garage religiously as well but has been sitting at 111 since late February. I'm itching to see some movement 🤣🤣🤣
Appreciate 1
KB30052.00
      03-31-2022, 11:28 PM   #20
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm a noob too and people are mostly nice and helpful but then there are some of those who constantly have the need to bash people lol so I try to thread carefully.

Quote:
@calbears I spoke with 2 different geniuses from the Genius Line for the build week. They both confirmed that I was build week 20, but the first one (6 weeks ago) said that the build week is the completion week for production. The second one I talked to (1 week ago) told me that build week is the beginning of production. So which one is it, do you know by any chance?

Also in the system I am still 111, if I am week 20, do you know when I should be going into 112 and then when to 150?

Really appreciate it!
"The build week is completion. You should go 112 about 3 weeks before that and 150 about 2 weeks before week 20"

This was the conversation I had with another member I believe he works at a dealership in Northern California and he is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

I am 111 (Order Received) thats why I asked him when it would be 112 (Scheduled for Production) and above was his response. So to answer your question 112 would be 3 weeks before build week and then 150 1 week before build week. I check the My Garage religiously as well but has been sitting at 111 since late February. I'm itching to see some movement 🤣🤣🤣
I've already taken a couple bashings for asking some reasonable and legitimate questions. Nothing ignites a keyboard warrior's passion quite like (relative) anonymity!

Thank you for the clarification. Just that piece of info is 1000 times greater than anything I got out of a Genius. I'm hoping that means I'm about two weeks out from build week.

I really appreciate your input and please keep us posted on any movement!
      04-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #21
Moserkm
Moserkm
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you regarding the timeline. I was doing some searching for a 911 recently, and purchasing was ultimately derailed given everything that happened and the climate in general. All the dealers in my area had their 911s on the Felicity Ace. Please for the love of God, I can't take another ship fire.

By the way, are you showing scheduled for production?
No. Still at 111.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #22
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

They really should rename the title for "geniuses." I'm sure you have those few that are holdovers from BMW's past where people really loved and knew the brand at a level commensurate as a "genius," but now they are mostly just CSR's pulling paychecks.
Appreciate 2
zb26031055.50