F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW F30 N55 X-Drive 8HP70 vs 8HP75 Upgrade
Studio RSR

03-31-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport

BMW F30 N55 X-Drive 8HP70 vs 8HP75 Upgrade

Been digging around and it seems like most of the information is very outdated, but there's lots of videos of people upgrading to these transmissions on their E series.

As I'm heading towards 750+whp on a built N55, I need to start thinking about the drivetrain. The car is an 8HP45.

Has anyone achieved these upgrades? Preferably the 8HP75 of course as it's the 2nd gen with a bit of extra torque rating, but I'd also like to know which one has more aftermarket development, and which one will be a better fitment and experience.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Have you looked at a built trans from pure drivetrain?
Appreciate 1
LA1Z24363.50
      03-31-2022, 06:00 PM   #3
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Def look into Pure Drivetrain. They are currently building me a trans for my F32. I was bored the other night and took a drive to their shop. The building does not say Pure Drivetrain anywhere on it. What it does say is PRO TORQUE, the famous torque converter company. So I am sure my trans, and yours will be in good hands. They had about 25 cars at Texas2k and their instagram is chock full of videos of their cars, and the build process of the trannys. Highly recommend.

https://www.puredrivetrainsolutions....tage-1-package
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 01:13 PM   #4
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

They seem like a good solution, do they make kits to upgrade to the 75?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 05:18 PM   #5
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
They seem like a good solution, do they make kits to upgrade to the 75?
Did you look at the link? They build performance transmissions, they do not help you swap other transmissions into cars they never came in. They have a ZF8HP45 that can hold 1200hp and 1000lbft of torque. You don't need more than that I am sure of it. Why would you even want the hassle of coding and all the other bullshit when they can build you a unit that is a direct bolt in, no putzing around.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #6
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Because the 75 is not just a physically stronger transmission, but it's also a newer generation. I was just wondering as I've been seing videos of swaps, and there's one of the 75 on an E series. Besides, it'd be a whole lot cheaper to not go with a built transmission, and just adapt one that will hold the power you need in stock form, for $1500 for a practically new 75 tranny, while they're asking for 10k with a bring your own core to build it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33431362954...hoCvk0QAvD_BwE

But at this point I'm just trying to see all the options
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

100% go with pure.. they're some of the best in the game, Ya it's money but it's money we'll spent. As said above, why hassle with coding and potentially problematic shift points/patterns. Newer gen trans or not, when they're done, it'll be incredible and exactly what you want. You're only going to get so far with shift speeds/line pressure so newer gen or not you're limited to what coding is available

Trans you linked is gonna need a custom adapter plate, mount most likely, and a whole bunch of other odds and ends, trans cooler lines may not line up, custom adapters, converter may need modification for an adapter plate to work, coding, output flange, wiring harness connectors etc etc, just spit balling here, spend the extra cash and have a bullet proof plug and play system
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 10:18 PM   #8
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
100% go with pure.. they're some of the best in the game, Ya it's money but it's money we'll spent. As said above, why hassle with coding and potentially problematic shift points/patterns. Newer gen trans or not, when they're done, it'll be incredible and exactly what you want. You're only going to get so far with shift speeds/line pressure so newer gen or not you're limited to what coding is available

Trans you linked is gonna need a custom adapter plate, mount most likely, and a whole bunch of other odds and ends, trans cooler lines may not line up, custom adapters, converter may need modification for an adapter plate to work, coding, output flange, wiring harness connectors etc etc, just spit balling here, spend the extra cash and have a bullet proof plug and play system
I understand the concerns, and they're valid points. But I was looking for more like actual facts of people who have done or seen posts of the projects. Some say all you need is the adapter plate and controller, others just the adapter plate because BMW already has the 70 on the F30 chasis on the diesel version, and that it just fits right in with just an xHP tune. Also that the 75 is the same thing just a newer gen.

That's what I'm trying to figure out as these swaps are becoming more common.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #9
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I understand the concerns, and they're valid points. But I was looking for more like actual facts of people who have done or seen posts of the projects. Some say all you need is the adapter plate and controller, others just the adapter plate because BMW already has the 70 on the F30 chasis on the diesel version, and that it just fits right in with just an xHP tune. Also that the 75 is the same thing just a newer gen.

That's what I'm trying to figure out as these swaps are becoming more common.
There is a thread right on the front page which documents this, and it was a failure. The first person that did it immediately removed it from the car and sold it as a kit, and the other person that chimed in, hates it. What more do you need to know?

I think OP is partially delusional on his power output numbers. I linked him to a stage 1, 6k dollars, and he claps back about not spending 10k on a tranny. You do not need the stage 2. You will need a fully built N55, including a worked over block, to come even close to 1000hp on an N55. Just about everyone on this forum would be sufficient to have a stage 0. Even big boost cars, stage 0 would do it.

Last edited by LA1Z24; 04-02-2022 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
n55david1297.00
      04-02-2022, 09:39 AM   #10
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
There is a thread right on the front page which documents this, and it was a failure. The first person that did it immediately removed it from the car and sold it as a kit, and the other person that chimed in, hates it. What more do you need to know?

I think OP is partially delusional on his power output numbers. I linked him to a stage 1, 6k dollars, and he claps back about not spending 10k on a tranny. You do not need the stage 2. You will need a fully built N55, including a worked over block, to come even close to 1000hp on an N55. Just about everyone on this forum would be sufficient to have a stage 0. Even big boost cars, stage 0 would do it.
Most people who come in here and ask random off the wall questions are delusional. I assume it's because most of them weren't car people prior to this. It is funny though how much traffic this specific forums gets in regards to tech help for everything not even just f30 n55. Just let him figure out the failure and abandon his quest like the others do when they don't want to listen.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
Polo088161614.50
      04-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #11
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55david View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by "LA1Z24;28755496"

Most people who come in here and ask random off the wall questions are delusional. I assume it's because most of them weren't car people prior to this. It is funny though how much traffic this specific forums gets in regards to tech help for everything not even just f30 n55. Just let him figure out the failure and abandon his quest like the others do when they don't want to listen.
You're not kidding lol
Appreciate 1
n55david1297.00
      04-02-2022, 02:09 PM   #12
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

The engine once completed will be rated at 950whp, fully built, closed deck.

Here's what I meant about these swaps, please use only up to date info, not stuff that was posted years ago.

TurboLamik is selling kits for E series, that includes the plate, their custom TCU, and wiring harness. Look up their youtube channel for more up to date info.

There's also the 0 to 60 channel who has been uploading his progress and just uploaded a video of the 70 tranny running on his n54.

Skip to the 14 minute mark, or go through the whole series for more accurate info:
https://youtu.be/uhDCplIJUmc

What I'm looking for is info related to the F series, as it seems like you may not need a controller and shifter, hopefully just the adapter plate, because the 70 comes on the diesel version of the F30.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #13
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55david View Post
I actually just found what I was looking for. Moral of the story, if you don't know something, don't go out of your way to try and make others look stupid. The whole purpose of these forums is to help each other, not insult each other.

Here's the link for your own benefit, it bolts right in with the adapter plate and a few other parts:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887697&highlight=8hp70

The benefit, is that you now have something that is almost stock, done by real engineers, instead of just patching things with a "built" transmission that all they did was "upgrade" the clutches, and a few things here and there. This transmission is physically bigger and stronger, you're going from a 450nm tranny that has been holding 600+nm, to one that was rated for 700nm, and that is known to hold over 1000nm, completely stock. The 75 is what's being used on M cars, so the BMW tunning is there
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 03:34 PM   #14
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
I actually just found what I was looking for. Moral of the story, if you don't know something, don't go out of your way to try and make others look stupid. The whole purpose of these forums is to help each other, not insult each other.
I can absolutely tell you that if that was the sole purpose of these forums I would absolutely NOT be here enjoying going out of my way to not help people.

Happy you found the info you wanted tho
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #15
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

@bimmerace no offense but how are you comparing a built tranny from a reputable company not knowing the exact specifics of what they upgraded and more importantly if they chose to upgrade the clutches only hypothetically speaking, the reason why they chose to do so?

If you didn't directly swap an M engine in your car, your built motor that wasn't built by BMW engineers, why did you choose to build it and not just take an M tranny and M engine and mate them together? There are of course obvious reasons why but the point I'm trying to get at without stirring the pot is that your opinion on Pure's built tranny meanwhile your plans are to run a built N55. I could give you more credit if you had actual BMW engineers work with you on building the engine but please don't assume just because the tranny wasn't built by BMW that it's a skeptical product. I'm a person that likes to know why people do things and if they provide me with valid data, who am I to assume / care the title that hangs over their head?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #16
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Here's the link for your own benefit, it bolts right in with the adapter plate and a few other parts:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=8hp70

The benefit, is that you now have something that is almost stock, done by real engineers, instead of just patching things with a "built" transmission that all they did was "upgrade" the clutches, and a few things here and there. This transmission is physically bigger and stronger, you're going from a 450nm tranny that has been holding 600+nm, to one that was rated for 700nm, and that is known to hold over 1000nm, completely stock. The 75 is what's being used on M cars, so the BMW tunning is there
And as I stated earlier...If you follow this thread, the OP, immediately upon completing the job, parted out the car, and sold the tranny swap. Then, other people chime in with the tranny swap and exclaim how much it sucks.
Appreciate 2
n55david1297.00
      04-06-2022, 04:27 PM   #17
jq_f22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235xi

Quote:
And as I stated earlier...If you follow this thread, the OP, immediately upon completing the job, parted out the car, and sold the tranny swap. Then, other people chime in with the tranny swap and exclaim how much it sucks.
Quote:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=8hp70

The misinformation is hilarious, that was my car. To be clear I did not complete the swap and immediately sell the transmission. It was in the car since july of 21. Never gave me an issue and ran great. The confused individual that commented in my thread owns a m140, runs a different map due to his platform and was complaining about shift speed, did not want to contact RBT, and preferred to ask people on the forums with different setups what was wrong with his car.

Bimmerace, My two cents the HP70 will work great depending on your power goals and can also be built in the future. It is a real option for big power that has been tested not just by me but also by Peter @ pureturbos and Steven @ Wedgeperformance. If you've got the cash go for a stage 1 hp45 or above if you want a no fuss, plug and play option.

LA1Z24, a tip, don't go asking people for help on removing a transmission in a pm and then go calling their build a failure.
      04-06-2022, 07:40 PM   #18
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq955 View Post
The misinformation is hilarious, that was my car. To be clear I did not complete the swap and immediately sell the transmission. It was in the car since july of 21. Never gave me an issue and ran great. The confused individual that commented in my thread owns a m140, runs a different map due to his platform and was complaining about shift speed, did not want to contact RBT, and preferred to ask people on the forums with different setups what was wrong with his car.

Bimmerace, My two cents the HP70 will work great depending on your power goals and can also be built in the future. It is a real option for big power that has been tested not just by me but also by Peter @ pureturbos and Steven @ Wedgeperformance. If you've got the cash go for a stage 1 hp45 or above if you want a no fuss, plug and play option.

LA1Z24, a tip, don't go asking people for help on removing a transmission in a pm and then go calling their build a failure.
All I did was ask for tips on removing the transmission with the driveshaft in place. Please don't try and make me out to be the fool. I am a certified technician, and simply asked for advice. OP wants to swap in a Dodge Ram transmission. He is in way over his head. All he needs is a built 45. Also, January 2nd, you made a post about your transmission swap. January 5th, the car is parted out and sold. That certainly looks like a failure from this side of the screen.

Last edited by LA1Z24; 04-06-2022 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #19
jq_f22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235xi

Quote:
All I did was ask for tips on removing the transmission with the driveshaft in place. Please don't try and make me out to be the fool. I am a certified technician, and simply asked for advice. OP wants to swap in a Dodge Ram transmission. He is in way over his head. All he needs is a built 45. Also, January"]January"]https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887697"]January 2nd, you made a post about your transmission swap. January"]January"]https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28433425#post28433425"]January 5th, the car is parted out and sold. That certainly looks like a failure from this side of the screen.
Two faced people are fun. Want me to post the entire message? Sit your ase certified behind back down before you make a fool of yourself.
n55david1297.00
      04-07-2022, 04:00 AM   #20
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq955 View Post
Two faced people are fun. Want me to post the entire message? Sit your ase certified behind back down before you make a fool of yourself.
2 faced? JFC.

Hey man. I recently popped 6th gear on my zf8 running e75. First I was like no biggy I'll buy your setup and be good to go. Then I saw its been sold!

So I've decided to have a Pure Drivetrains trans built for myself. I am an auto mechanic. I was curious how easy it was to get the factory transmission out. I know there is a special tool to remove the driveshaft from the differential. BMW instructions state to leave the shaft attached and to just tie it up. Sounds like a pain in the ass to work around. How did you go about that? Any tips on getting the trans in and out? Thanks I appreciate your time.

That is the whole message. I implore you to explain how this message makes me a fool.
Appreciate 0