BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

Long(ish) Trip - Range Update

Evening folks,

Having posted a few times on my some of my longer trips. I thought that this might be useful follow up as the weather is getting a bit warmer now.

The car was loaded up with 2 x kids (10 & 11), 2 x dogs in the dog cage (about 60kg combined), some luggage and me.

I did this trip (170 miles) when the weather was colder and the range of the car was estimated to be about 200 miles, with an average of 2.8m per kWh.

So, in this warmer weather there is a definite improvement (as expected!)
  • Charge at start - 100% (estimated range 204 miles)
  • 95% of the trip was motorway in Eco Pro, using Driving Assistant set at about 79mph in Adaptive mode.
  • Charge at destination - 30% with 66 miles remaining.
  • Estimated range - 236 miles

The return journey was very similar and over all the car averaged 3.2m per kWh. Happy to be corrected on this but I don't think there is any difference in using Adaptive or B mode when using the Assisted Driving mode. I swapped between them a few times and there was no noticeable difference. The more I use the assisted driving the more impressed I am with it! It's still favours the left more than I would like but I'm getting used to that now!

The iX3 is a great car and I'm really pleased with mine, no regrets whatsoever

Just before I sign off there was one feature that we used a couple of times. It's the Caring Car feature! It sounds a bit of a gimmick but I thought it actually worked quite well and did help when we were starting to feel a bit weary. What are your thoughts on it?

We're off to Beamish tomorrow (from Sheffield) so I'll see how that compares without 60kgs of dogs & the cage in the boot!

Cheers

Last edited by hollpe; 04-13-2022 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
Rathian155.00
sahajesh2295.00
MATR43.50
      04-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
Evening folks,

Having posted a few times on my some of my longer trips. I thought that this might be useful follow up as the weather is getting a bit warmer now.

The car was loaded up with 2 x kids (10 & 11), 2 x dogs in the dog cage (about 60kg combined), some luggage and me.

I did this trip (170 miles) when the weather was colder and the range of the car was estimated to be about 200 miles, with an average of 2.8m per kWh.

So, in this warmer weather there is a definite improvement (as expected!)
  • Charge at start - 100% (estimated range 204 miles)
  • 95% of the trip was motorway in Eco Pro, using Driving Assistant set at about 79mph in Adaptive mode.
  • Charge at destination - 30% with 66 miles remaining.
  • Estimated range - 236 miles

The return journey was very similar and over all the car averaged 3.2m per kWh. Happy to be corrected on this but I don't think there is any difference in using Adaptive or B mode when using the Assisted Driving mode. I swapped between them a few times and there was no noticeable difference. The more I use the assisted driving the more impressed I am with it! It's still favours the left more than I would like but I'm getting used to that now!

The iX3 is a great car and I'm really pleased with mine, no regrets whatsoever

Just before I sign off there was one feature that we used a couple of times. It's the Caring Car feature! It sounds a bit of a gimmick but I thought it actually worked quite well and did help when we were starting to feel a bit weary. What are your thoughts on it?

We're off to Beamish tomorrow (from Sheffield) so I'll see how that compares without 60kgs of dogs & the cage in the boot!

Cheers
Nice update, I am down in the South West, bit warmer and my average since picking the car up is 3.4miles per KWH. I am well pleased
Appreciate 1
Rathian155.00
      04-13-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

Did home to London (Holborn) and home again in March. Left 100% home 3%.

238 miles round trip, did flick it to eco mode half way home on the motorway. 3.4 m/kWh recorded, and the temp when leaving was 0 at 7am and home was 2 at 7ish.

So not bad considering.

I was impressed said 53% soc when I parked in london, and 3% whewn home, so impressed the soc doesn't fall off like a lot of cars seem to do when further down the range.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Did home to London (Holborn) and home again in March. Left 100% home 3%.

238 miles round trip, did flick it to eco mode half way home on the motorway. 3.4 m/kWh recorded, and the temp when leaving was 0 at 7am and home was 2 at 7ish.

So not bad considering.

I was impressed said 53% soc when I parked in london, and 3% whewn home, so impressed the soc doesn't fall off like a lot of cars seem to do when further down the range.
Thats impressive at those temps, do you drive in your slippers
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Nah, Pro pilot on most of the way, but did nothing particularly special.. 75-85 when I could, and a huge stretch of 60 zone on the motorway, which was more like 30-50 in reality.

But besides that drove how I normally would (was expecting to be able to charge in the parking, but they were all out of order on the day!)

Like is said perhaps 50 or 60 miles on eco mode on the way back, but that's only because my mental calculations were saying I'd be bingo soc just before home, and couldn't be bothered to stop at a charger.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #6
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nah, Pro pilot on most of the way, but did nothing particularly special.. 75-85 when I could, and a huge stretch of 60 zone on the motorway, which was more like 30-50 in reality.

But besides that drove how I normally would (was expecting to be able to charge in the parking, but they were all out of order on the day!)

Like is said perhaps 50 or 60 miles on eco mode on the way back, but that's only because my mental calculations were saying I'd be bingo soc just before home, and couldn't be bothered to stop at a charger.
I love my IX3 and am enjoying every minute in it, its an amazing bit of kit and glad to see other owners getting the most out of it. I drive mine exactly as i drove my RR and am amazed to be getting the range that im getting.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:19 PM   #7
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Just looked on Tronity, was actually January... Where's the year going, trip down I averaged 369.9 Wh/m and says temp was 3c at 43mi/h, way back was 338.6 Wh/m and 0c at an average of 48mi/h

Gord those London traffic speds really do impact average 😂
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Just looked on Tronity, was actually January... Where's the year going, trip down I averaged 369.9 Wh/m and says temp was 3c at 43mi/h, way back was 338.6 Wh/m and 0c at an average of 48mi/h

Gord those London traffic speds really do impact average 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:21 PM   #9
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Compared to my Type-R or 330, or pretty much anything else I've owned in the last 15 years, it gets similar range to their full tanks, only dif this one costs me nowt to fill, those would now cost be 80quid 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #10
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Compared to my Type-R or 330, or pretty much anything else I've owned in the last 15 years, it gets similar range to their full tanks, only dif this one costs me nowt to fill, those would now cost be 80quid 😂
My last fill on the RR was £90 for a predicted range of 305 miles, I have solar panels and all the places like Tesco, Aldi and lidl that I can now "fill up" for free, bloody glad I am getting old and dont have the M3 and C63 AMG anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:41 PM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Agreed 😂

Plus this has suspension...... More than can be said about most the cars I've owned 🤣
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2022, 05:50 PM   #12
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Agreed 😂

Plus this has suspension...... More than can be said about most the cars I've owned 🤣
I still have a TR6 for weekends, the ride on that is firm for sure. My OH refuses to get in it now
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #13
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hehe, know that feeling, have an AW11 MR2, even I struggle to get in that nowadays 🤣
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:09 AM   #14
MATR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Quote:

Do you see a lot of difference between comfort and eco mode?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 04:31 AM   #15
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive Suite View Post
I still have a TR6 for weekends, the ride on that is firm for sure. My OH refuses to get in it now
On our first long trip, my partner made me stop at IKEA so we could get her a couple of cushions. I can recommend the Hillared chair pads. She didn't like the seats or suspension in my S3 either. Must be a German thing - she is used to the soft, unsupportive sofa in her Qashqai!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 05:32 AM   #16
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATR View Post
Do you see a lot of difference between comfort and eco mode?
It knocks the AC doe etc, it obv does save energy, not sure by how much though, although I'm still pretty sure if I hadn't knocked it down to eco I would been bingo on energy about 10-15 miles from home. Oh and tourtose mode (or as people call it incorrectly turtle mode) was engaged, it does cut the power available fairly considerably.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #17
Executive Suite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
On our first long trip, my partner made me stop at IKEA so we could get her a couple of cushions. I can recommend the Hillared chair pads. She didn't like the seats or suspension in my S3 either. Must be a German thing - she is used to the soft, unsupportive sofa in her Qashqai!
Appreciate 0