BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-05-2022, 02:38 AM   #1
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x£

G80 M3 XDrive Vs Upcoming Maserati GT V6

Ok so I completely agree that the G80 M3 XDrive is a brilliant track car with amazing handling on real roads too. I also understand that it is on top of its league in regards to tech too. But before making a decision, I am waiting out for the new Maserati Gran Tourismo with the new V6 nettuno engine.

I realise the the Maserati will be slightly bigger in size, heavier, less capable on the track and probably less tech too, plus they have removed the Ferrari V8. BUT I do not track my cars, I need 4 seats (which both cars provide), I want something sporty looking but also quite capable on real roads (not bothered about tracks).

So my question is, what do you guys think? Im not a massive fan of the front grill design on the G80 but apart from that i like it. But the design language on the Maserati will obviously be extremely beautiful and typically Italian sports car type vibe. Im also hoping that the V6 on the Maserati will be more engaging and more fun than the in line S58. Not sure about what the exhaust note will sound like on the Maserati minus the old V8 but hoping it will sound nice.

My only fear with the Maserati is the reliability issues and it’s reputation of not being well built in comparison to German cars.

Opinions please??
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:41 AM   #2
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

I'd own a Maserati or Lotus or Aston Martin if local dealer support existed. But it doesn't. I have the time and patience to deal with warranty as long as the loaner car was just as sweet, but I can't afford to truck my broken (insert brand) 6 hours to the "local" dealer.
Sounds like you purchase based on emotion and senses. Congrats on not being delusional about track times and 0 to 60 and "can I take a (insert car) from a dig". I have a very quick EV that destroys most cars in real-world driving. Guess what. It's being sold this week because it doesn't evoke any excitement or passion from me.
This is easy: go see one, touch one, hear it, drive it. If it makes you tingly and look back so much your neck hurts, then decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
I'd own a Maserati or Lotus or Aston Martin if local dealer support existed. But it doesn't. I have the time and patience to deal with warranty as long as the loaner car was just as sweet, but I can't afford to truck my broken (insert brand) 6 hours to the "local" dealer.
Sounds like you purchase based on emotion and senses. Congrats on not being delusional about track times and 0 to 60 and "can I take a (insert car) from a dig". I have a very quick EV that destroys most cars in real-world driving. Guess what. It's being sold this week because it doesn't evoke any excitement or passion from me.
This is easy: go see one, touch one, hear it, drive it. If it makes you tingly and look back so much your neck hurts, then decide.
Do the Maze. It will be way more rare Than M3/4. You will see them everywhere soon enough. Especially if you don't care about all the numbers. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:53 AM   #4
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. I think I will wait for the new Mazza GT to be released before I make my final decision. I just hope the reliability scores will be an improvement to the outgoing one.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I’m only around 40 mins away from my local Maserati dealership, it’s not too bad. I’d obviously prefer it if it didn’t have any major issues during my ownership but then again it is Italian and they are not always the most reliable of vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:18 PM   #6
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by truekumar View Post
but then again it is Italian and they are not always the most reliable of vehicles.
Neither are most German cars...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:23 PM   #7
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Neither are most German cars...
Sorry I don’t understand, are you staying that German cars are not reliable too?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #8
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by truekumar View Post
Sorry I don’t understand, are you staying that German cars are not reliable too?
I would say that most German cars with the exception of Porsche, are well below the industry average for reliability. Probably not as bad as Maserati (especially the Ghibli) but definitely not Genesis, Lexus, etc. levels.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      05-06-2022, 09:43 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

A Maser GT without a V8? Pass.
Depreciation of a any new Maser? Hard pass.

A well looked after 2nd hand V8 Maser GT vert. as a 3rd car? Yes please.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 12:25 AM   #10
masd79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i MSport

Quote:
Two things everyone checks you on after you get the car 1) 0-60 from the dig 2) soft close door. Gotta win one battle, Maserati might loose on both 😂
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      05-07-2022, 01:37 AM   #11
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
A Maser GT without a V8? Pass.
Depreciation of a any new Maser? Hard pass.

A well looked after 2nd hand V8 Maser GT vert. as a 3rd car? Yes please.
I’ve heard that the new V6 Nettuno engine (same as the one used in the MC20) is not bad at all?? It’s quite good and uses F1 tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:38 AM   #12
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masd79 View Post
Two things everyone checks you on after you get the car 1) 0-60 from the dig 2) soft close door. Gotta win one battle, Maserati might loose on both 😂
Not really bothered about the 0-60 as I’m not a drag racer and I’m sure the new Maser will have very nice doors indeed.
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      05-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #13
kDot17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Your Maserati will be worth half its MSRP in 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #14
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kDot17 View Post
Your Maserati will be worth half its MSRP in 3-4 years.
You may be right but it’ll still look sexy as hell in 4 years, even 8 years time!
Appreciate 0