bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-10-2022, 08:06 PM   #1
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

M240 Stock Exhaust system

Hi all, I'm new to the performance car world. Came across the valved exhaust system concept Today. Just wondering if our m240 has this? Also, if I were to upgrade the stock exhaust, will this have an impact? TIA!
      05-10-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
Brett_C_F30_G42
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecst View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the performance car world. Came across the valved exhaust system concept Today. Just wondering if our m240 has this? Also, if I were to upgrade the stock exhaust, will this have an impact? TIA!
The M240i does have an active valve exhaust. It is on the right-hand side and opens/closes depending on your driving mode. Also depends on what you mean by upgrading your exhaust. If you change out the muffler in the back then yes cause the valve is after the muffler. If you just do a downpipe or midpipes then it doesn't affect the active valve exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:51 PM   #3
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_C_F30_G42 View Post
Quote:
The M240i does have an active valve exhaust. It is on the right-hand side and opens/closes depending on your driving mode. Also depends on what you mean by upgrading your exhaust. If you change out the muffler in the back then yes cause the valve is after the muffler. If you just do a downpipe or midpipes then it doesn't affect the active valve exhaust.
Ah Thanks! Just that I was thinking about getting something to make it sounds more aggressive. I feel like the stock exhaust does not sound as good as the supra although they share the same engine. Also wanted to fit a quad tip haha
      05-13-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I recommend you start with a catted downpipe, if you want more sound, switch to an axle-back or catback. You can still keep the valves with aftermarket exhausts

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 12:13 PM   #5
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I recommend you start with a catted downpipe, if you want more sound, switch to an axle-back or catback. You can still keep the valves with aftermarket exhausts
Agreed. I've been searching a good set of tips for the car but then I thought maybe I should just put on a new exhaust to have better looking tips and a better sound. I'm totally a newbee to this. Is there any good catback you'd recommend for 240? Welcome input from anyone. I'm sure I'm not alone here. TIA!
      05-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I've been searching a good set of tips for the car but then I thought maybe I should just put on a new exhaust to have better looking tips and a better sound. I'm totally a newbee to this. Is there any good catback you'd recommend for 240? Welcome input from anyone. I'm sure I'm not alone here. TIA!
Still too new that's why I recommend starting with the downpipe.

We should be seeing more released by mid summer

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ah makes sense. I feel like the downpipes are not out for g42 either. I did see many options for the new m340 and m440. Just me being newb again not sure if they'd fit but thinking they might as g42 shares the same chasis and engine. Thanks!
      05-15-2022, 03:46 PM   #8
idontsave
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah makes sense. I feel like the downpipes are not out for g42 either. I did see many options for the new m340 and m440. Just me being newb again not sure if they'd fit but thinking they might as g42 shares the same chasis and engine. Thanks!
The downpipes that are designated for the Supra and M340i should all fit. I'm running the AA catted DP and didn't have any fitment issues.

Exhaust systems apparently are not a direct fit and require some additional development work.
      05-15-2022, 04:53 PM   #9
applecst
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontsave View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The downpipes that are designated for the Supra and M340i should all fit. I'm running the AA catted DP and didn't have any fitment issues.

Exhaust systems apparently are not a direct fit and require some additional development work.
Got it. Thanks for the input! Wondering if there are cheaper options that won't throw a CELL tho. AA is kinda pricyyyyy
      05-16-2022, 01:52 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Thanks for the input! Wondering if there are cheaper options that won't throw a CELL tho. AA is kinda pricyyyyy
No other way, unfortunately. You need GESI cats (active autowerke) or HJS (fabspeed) and both are pricey.

Appreciate 0