06-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
G42 Battery

So two things: one--where is the battery located? I presume in the trunk like in other generations. Second: what the heck is up with this... it looks like a hybrid display. Does the G42 charge the battery from a motor/generator rather than an alternator?
I also noticed (actually my son did) that when getting on the accelerator that the AC seemed to dial itself back a bit. Helping by not taking a load when the wheels need a little kick?

Any ways, first post on the forum, so thanks for the insights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 10:03 PM   #2
zzt42
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

To your first question- yep, it's in the trunk, under the trunk floor, in the center. The trunk floor is a real pain to pull up though. I glued some thin nylon ribbon to the trunk floor to make a handle for it.

I think that the software for the screen is probably shared with the 3-series and the 220d (in the UK), which all have mild hybrid systems. I could be wrong though
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Haven't seen the graphic with my 230i. But I believe it is related to Eco mode and shows the vehicle is coasting. (I have not used Eco mode.)

I have seen the instantaneous fuel mileage graphic (energy efficiency display as per the manual) that goes from near 0mpg to 90mph. After that it goes into a (blue colored) section which indicates vehicle kinetic energy is being converted to electrical energy and used to recharge the battery rather than relying 100% upon an engine driven alternator.

With my M-B this is done to charge the 2nd battery in the vehicle which is used to supply power to the electrically operating shifter to allow Park be disabled and the lever moved to D, R, or even N in the event the main battery is dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
Haven't seen the graphic with my 230i. But I believe it is related to Eco mode and shows the vehicle is coasting. (I have not used Eco mode.)
Well, it is not related to Eco mode (this was snapped in Comfort mode).

I would have to go back and check but I think I got there from the Car menu, then the you choose the "Energy flow" for the main display.
If you then drive and coast (compression breaking), you will see the graphic switch from showing the full drivetrain in orange to this 'Charging battery', kind of like regenerative breaking in an EV.

Just though it was interesting and it implies the battery is charged from something other than an alternator--like maybe the starter motor.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 05:56 AM   #5
oldbmwtech
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleBWM View Post

I would have to go back and check but I think I got there from the Car menu, then the you choose the "Energy flow" for the main display.
If you then drive and coast (compression breaking), you will see the graphic switch from showing the full drivetrain in orange to this 'Charging battery', kind of like regenerative breaking in an EV.

Just though it was interesting and it implies the battery is charged from something other than an alternator--like maybe the starter motor.
I noticed the same thing and was wondering if we did have a mild hybrid. Need to look into this.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #6
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

IIRC the 3 series with the uprated engine also received a 48v mild hybrid system. Maybe that's where that screen comes from? I'm fairly certain the 2-er doesn't get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 08:31 AM   #7
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

G42 does not come with the 48v mild hybrid system. That is why we still have the button to deactivate auto start/stop and no purple cables in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't think I called up Energy Flow view or if I did I wasn't in the right mode as I don't recall seeing anything. But I'll experiment today and see what I see.

Not being charged from the starter motor for various reasons.

The alternator works even if the engine is coasting as it has to supply electrical power to meet the car's electrical power needs.

I think what is being indicated is the main battery is being used to charge the auxiliary battery. That this is being done during coasting rather than in normal mode is because this would cause the alternator being called upon to generate power electrical power and thus impact fuel economy.

During coast mode the power to charge the auxiliary battery is taken from the main battery. The amount of electrical power the alternator needs to provide is increased but since the car is in coast mode this extra parasitic load is supplied by the kinetic energy of the car. A sort of regenerative braking system on top of recouping some energy that would otherwise be lost.

It appears BMW has a system similar to M-B. The auxiliary battery supplements the main battery when auto stop is active. The auxiliary battery powers the climate control cabin blower motor, and other electrical loads like radio, NAV, etc.

If the main battery is discharged too much the auxiliary battery can also provide electrical power to work the electrically controlled transmission shifting to allow the transmission to be shifted into or out of P.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #9
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Yeah it isn’t a Mercedes and I’m pretty sure there’s only one battery. Lots of guessing here, not any information.

BMWs try to wait to charge the battery (using the alternator) until you’re coasting or braking because it’s more energy efficient. When you slow down energy is going to be lost anyway, so you’d might as well capture it. The prior car did this, and had this exact same animation (used to be called “EfficientDynamics”).
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
Yeah it isn’t a Mercedes and I’m pretty sure there’s only one battery. Lots of guessing here, not any information.

BMWs try to wait to charge the battery (using the alternator) until you’re coasting or braking because it’s more energy efficient. When you slow down energy is going to be lost anyway, so you’d might as well capture it. The prior car did this, and had this exact same animation (used to be called “EfficientDynamics”).
"Pretty sure"... Who's guessing now?

Obviously a BMW is not a M-B but the two brands share or at least have similar technology and the one of these is the electrically operated shifter. And auto stop/start.

I'm pretty sure (oh oh) there are two batteries, the main battery used to start the engine at least and the auxiliary battery used for other electrical needs in part related to the auto stop/start feature.

But I have not come up on anything official from BMW yet. Two batteries is not a new thing with BMW. I believe two batteries -- in the form of a main battery and an auxiliary battery -- have been present in various models for some time.

I viewed the power flow graphic -- in both Eco mode and in Sport mode -- and it shows power flow (in red) from the engine through the drive train to the rear wheels/tires. During coasting it shows the power flow -- in blue -- from the rear wheels/tires through the drive shaft to the transmission then over to a enclosure/box to the side.

It doesn't show the power flow to the trunk where the main battery is kept.

Yeah, not exactly persuasive proof. But I'm looking for some.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #11
jpcoop
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

I’m not guessing. I’ve owned three of these cars. Google “BMW EfficientDynamics battery”.

There’s a giant battery in the trunk, and it waits to charge it until it coasts as that saves fuel. They were very proud of this feature when they added it to the F30/F22, so it was in all the marketing. That’s also when they introduced this animation, which is present in near-identical form in iDrive 6.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #12
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoop View Post
I’m not guessing. I’ve owned three of these cars. Google “BMW EfficientDynamics battery”.

There’s a giant battery in the trunk, and it waits to charge it until it coasts as that saves fuel. They were very proud of this feature when they added it to the F30/F22, so it was in all the marketing. That’s also when they introduced this animation, which is present in near-identical form in iDrive 6.
You are right. I am wrong. The other day I came upon a web page that indicated the BMW had 2 batteries but I can't find the page now not that it matters.

Last night I exposed the battery in the trunk. It is a "giant" to be sure. Picture below.

Today I stopped at the BMW dealer parts department. Parts department had no parts # for an "auxiliary battery" for the 230i. The main (and only) battery is an AGM 105AH that lists for $304.41.

So I hope the above in some way makes at least some small mends for my posting incorrect info.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
So I hope the above in some way makes at least some small mends for my posting incorrect info.
no biggie, we've all been there (at least i have).
Some BMW models do have an auxillary battery, that is where the confusion can come in. (some 3 series do, dunno about any 2 series)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 10:34 PM   #14
GargoyleBWM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
You are right. I am wrong. The other day I came upon a web page that indicated the BMW had 2 batteries but I can't find the page now not that it matters.

Last night I exposed the battery in the trunk. It is a "giant" to be sure. Picture below.

Today I stopped at the BMW dealer parts department. Parts department had no parts # for an "auxiliary battery" for the 230i. The main (and only) battery is an AGM 105AH that lists for $304.41.

THAT is a massive battery! Thanks for sharing. BTW, any secrets on getting into the rear compartment or do you just pry on the floor covering until it lets loose?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #15
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
THAT is a massive battery! Thanks for sharing. BTW, any secrets on getting into the rear compartment or do you just pry on the floor covering until it lets loose?
No pull tabs on the carpeted panel that is the trunk floor and covers the battery compartment.

Fingernails didn't work.

Using a pocket knife with a screwdriver blade I managed to get an edge up enough to then remove the panel.

Was thinking would it have killed BMW to include a pull tab or loop or two on the panel? Geesh.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #16
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

you mean something like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
XC3LLR82062.50
      07-10-2023, 06:21 AM   #17
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
How is this attached? Where did you get it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 08:45 AM   #18
XC3LLR8
Banned
Rep
Drives: Super73

I'm glad my '22 doesn't have that graphic. I'd be embarrassed for people to think my engine was that small (looks like a 2-cyclinder).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:43 AM   #19
burkhacs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i - TNM Shadowline

This is what they used to call Efficient Dynamics and charges the battery on coasting instead of using the alternator to improve gas efficiency.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #20
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
great minds think alike

07-12-2023, 03:51 PM   #21
cannockwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M240i 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
How is this attached? Where did you get it? Thanks.
I made this loop from 1" webbing and superglued it on

XC3LLR82062.50
pw490.50
      07-12-2023, 06:48 PM   #22
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

[QUOTE=cannockwolf;30302551]I made this loop from 1" webbing and superglued it on

Thanks. Good job.
Appreciate 0