E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Reflective ceramic window tint??

06-19-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
lowd239
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328 XIT

Reflective ceramic window tint??

Hey all,

So I've been looking into window tints for my 09 e91. All of the places I have called here in Cincinnati said they don't do reflective window tint. Of the few I have asked why, they said they used to but that the "reflective tints degrade quickly" or "reflective tints block cell phone reception".

I think the reflective tint would go well with the color of my car since its the Monaco blue which I think wouldnt look the best with regular tint. The other reason is that I don't want to go with a dark tint...Im thinking 50% front windows and either 20 or 35 in the back.

From searching it looks like there is ceramic reflective window tint out there. And from my understanding ceramic does not block cell phone reception and is much better at heat reduction which is an aspect of what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any experience with this? Would it be a bad idea to ask a shop to install tint I bought if they even are willing?

My car (actually not mine but used for photo) -

And what Im looking for as far as reflective tint -
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 06:42 AM   #2
Eriksson3_3
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe 6at

The reflective looks absolutely horrible, looks like something a child would put on their car in a video game. Just get black tint like normal, it looks great with the blue.
Appreciate 4
      06-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
lowd239
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksson3_3 View Post
The reflective looks absolutely horrible, looks like something a child would put on their car in a video game. Just get black tint like normal, it looks great with the blue.
Wow, seriously why did you even take the time to reply? Anything else you'd like give your expert opinion on?

Sad as it is, this is why I don't like posting for help or suggestions because it feels like most of the time replies have nothing to do with the questions ask or are absurdly and offensively (one could argue "childlike") opinion based. Not to say I know there are some helpful knowledgeable people out there who I have benefited from their help. Eriksson3_3 is not one of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksson3_3 View Post
This.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowd239 View Post
Wow, seriously why did you even take the time to reply? Anything else you'd like give your expert opinion on?

Sad as it is, this is why I don't like posting for help or suggestions because it feels like most of the time replies have nothing to do with the questions ask or are absurdly and offensively (one could argue "childlike") opinion based. Not to say I know there are some helpful knowledgeable people out there who I have benefited from their help. Eriksson3_3 is not one of them.
Honestly dude you came here asking for advice and he provided you GREAT advice. It's idiotic to install reflective window tint, potentially illegal too since you can blind other drivers, but you didn't think about that did you, because well you my friend are the childlike person here that has no consideration for anyone else but yourself. Not sure what kind of research you have done, I'm guessing none, but it is actually Illegal in Ohio to install reflective window tint.

https://www.tinting-laws.com/ohio/

Think about this... THERE IS A DAMN GOOD REASON NOBODY HAS THAT IDIOTIC REFLECTIVE TINT IN YOUR AREA...

Good quality ceramic tints will last for decades and already provide excellent heat rejection properties, go with the tried and true and don't be an idiot.
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      06-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

lowd239 asked if anyone has any experience with this tint in regards to cell phone signal, heat reduction and tint degredation.

I think everyone just picked up on the 'reflective tint' and jumped the gun.

Although I can't comment on ether of the things you are questioning, i would suggest you reconsider. The tint guy is already saying they dropped that type of tint, and personally i have seen this tint years ago on usually on JDM and American cars, and never was a fan. It was one of those things like chrome wheels. Just didn't sit right.

In my opinion your car color looks super clean with a nice 20-30% tint all around and a mild 0.5-1.0" drop front and rear. Wagons are beautiful rare bmws, enjoy it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #7
lowd239
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
lowd239 asked if anyone has any experience with this tint in regards to cell phone signal, heat reduction and tint degredation.

I think everyone just picked up on the 'reflective tint' and jumped the gun.

Although I can't comment on ether of the things you are questioning, i would suggest you reconsider. The tint guy is already saying they dropped that type of tint, and personally i have seen this tint years ago on usually on JDM and American cars, and never was a fan. It was one of those things like chrome wheels. Just didn't sit right.

In my opinion your car color looks super clean with a nice 20-30% tint all around and a mild 0.5-1.0" drop front and rear. Wagons are beautiful rare bmws, enjoy it.

Cheers

Thank you for this Wof 335. For the advice and for being the only one with a helpful and respectful reply.

Lookalikehuuh - Seriously? If were talking tint in general most people have illegal tint but if you notice (if you read my full post) I wanted the legal front limit 50% and the rear 35%. So yea I did read up on it champ and as far as blinding people, side windows are a non issue and the rear window is angled upward. And on top of that check out most teslas...they have some level of reflectiveness in their windows. So yeah and being childlike...how about learn how to reply and be helpful in a respectful way...this is something even most children know how to do. Damn
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:03 PM   #8
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I do not car for the look of reflective tint, I have 27% on my car from the previous owner and it's enough to cut heat down a little and have a little privacy. I suspect that law enforcement may give you a hard time and motivate others to try and see what you're hiding in your car.
Attached Images

06-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
Dx11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

I don't like the reflective tint but the chameleon tint (a bit reflective but not too much) is very popular in the Netherlands and I think that looks pretty nice on BMW's. Almost like it's factory:

I think some new Audi's even look like this from the factory.

I think it looks far less silly then the super reflective tint.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #10
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I do not car for the look of reflective tint, I have 27% on my car from the previous owner and it's enough to cut heat down a little and have a little privacy. I suspect that law enforcement may give you a hard time and motivate others to try and see what you're hiding in your car.
That's super clean. Very nice.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3555.00
      06-22-2022, 11:54 PM   #11
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have ceramic or the heat blocking tint on one of my cars. It makes such a difference in cabin heat on a hot day compared to the other cars with standard tint.
Appreciate 1