E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Speed Vibration or Whine & a Few Other Issues

06-19-2022, 11:23 PM   #1
BlueMadWagoneer13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi e91

Unhappy Speed Vibration or Whine & a Few Other Issues

Hi All, I'm a long-time lurker here and have obtained much help over the years by reading this forum.

Right now, I'm experiencing an issue I can't seem to find any information about.

My vehicle is a 2007 e91 328xi (late '06 manufacture date).

At about 35mph and above I get a speed-related vibration. The sound appears to be independent of throttle input or gear selection. Tires are relatively new and are at an appropriate pressure. I've managed to figure out that the noise is reduced (maybe gone) when turning left at speed (e.g. on/off ramps or significantly curved sections of highway). It also appears to go away if I'm cresting a hill or bump where there's a momentary, perceived reduction of weight. I've included links to videos I took while driving to help illustrate the issue.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1niG...ew?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1noS...ew?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nym...ew?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o1x...ew?usp=sharing,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o2y...ew?usp=sharing

Not sure if I'm supposed to keep it to one issue, but I'm also experiencing another, likely unrelated problem.

Everytime I hit a bump, pothole, or otherwise jarring section of road, particularly with the front right tire, the car goes into limp mode. Here's a recent log of fault codes I saved using BimmerGeeks ProTools.
BimmerGeeks ProTool

Date: 06.04.22 09:00 AM

Vin: xxxxxxxxxxFZ35473
Chassis: E91
Model: 328xi
Engine: N52
Body Style: Sports Wagon

****************** Errors ******************
--------------------------------------------
FAMILY [VARIANTE] | CODE: DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------------

VGSG [VGSG90] | 54C6: Oil wear

JBBF [JBBF87] | No errors found

KOMBI [KOMB87] | No errors found

EKP [EKPM60_3] | No errors found

ZBE [ZBEH87] | No errors found

CAS [CAS] | No errors found

EGS [GS1912] | 578E: Gearbox oil: wear

KLIMA [IHKA87] | No errors found

SHD/MDS [SD_KWP] | No errors found

DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2DED: Power management, closed-circuit current violation
DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2D20: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor, plausibility between signal 1 and signal 2

MOSTGW [CCCG60] | No errors found

FAS [FAS_PLX] | No errors found

FRM [FRM_87] | No errors found

CID [CID_90] | A468: External open circuit (LVDS data line)

DSC [DXC_90] | No errors found

MRS [MRS5] | No errors found

CDC [M_IPOD] | No errors found

TEL/MULF [TELE60_2] | No errors found

MASK/CCC [CCC_60] | No errors found

CCC [CCCA60] | No errors found

ANTTU [ANT_60] | No errors found

ASK [ASK_60] | No errors found

FZD [FZD_87] | No errors found

I've been using a technique I read about on this forum to clear the engine malfunction and get the car out of limp mode. I believe it's the Throttle Body Adaptation reset which involves holding down the throttle pedal for a period of time while cycling the "key" positions. This seems to work each time.

Issues I'm aware of...

My suspension has needed a refresh for a while now, but this issue is new. In particular, I'm pretty sure I have a very worn right front control arm bushing. "Pothole explosions" are a term I'm intimately familiar with. Transmission fluid needs a change, as does the transfer case.

Thanks to you all in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ProTool_Scan_09_00_AM.txt (1.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by BlueMadWagoneer13; 06-19-2022 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 01:07 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMadWagoneer13 View Post
... 2007 e91 328xi (late '06 manufacture date).
(1) At about 35mph and above I get a speed-related vibration. The sound appears to be independent of throttle input or gear selection... noise is reduced (maybe gone) when turning left at speed (e.g. on/off ramps or significantly curved sections of highway). [Is that Left or RIGHT turn -- most on/off ramps are RIGHT turns/ cloverleaf turns (?)] ...
(2) Everytime I hit a bump, pothole, or otherwise jarring section of road, particularly with the front right tire, the car goes into limp mode.[What warning light(s)?] ...
DME/DDE [MSV80] | 2D20: Accelerator-pedal module, pedal-position sensor, plausibility between signal 1 and signal 2 [Fault Code] ...
1) Vibration or "groaning" noise that comes from a wheel bearing is usually LESS noticeable when LOAD on that wheel is decreased such as reducing load on wheel on Right side in RIGHT-hand turns when LEFT side is loaded MORE. Conversely, increasing Load on a bad wheel bearing should INCREASE sound.

2) Loose Connector/wiring in the Accelerator Pedal Module Connector or wiring between its connector and DME Connector could cause plausibility issue, as DME looks for signal from Sensor 1 of the Pedal module to be in .5V to 4.5V range, and the other, Sensor 2, to be approximately HALF of that value. If voltage values received by the DME do NOT meet that relationship, the signals are deemed "Implausible" and the system reverts to throttle by Throttle Valve as opposed to VVT, at GREATLY reduced power (LIMP Mode).

I would suggest viewing and saving/recording "Freeze Frame Data" (Fault Details) showing conditions (such as Load, RPM, vehicle speed, Voltage readings, etc.) at the moment the fault code was saved. Check for loose connector at the Pedal Module, or at the DME Connector (can identify that on request -- please furnish last-7 characters of VIN for your 2007A 328xi). Testing the intervening wiring, with "jiggling" of wiring harness to imitate "bumps" may duplicate the fault condition. Here is link to Fault Info Sheet for 2D20:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...MAOQA4ADAANAA=

INPA or ISTA can read Accelerator Pedal Module Sensor Outputs as Live Data (when connected to DME Module). I would assume ProTool can as well. If NOT documented, ask BG. PWG is Accelerator Pedal Module.
George
Appreciate 0