E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Self Adjusting Clutch: is reset needed with the same friction plate?

06-28-2022, 10:43 PM   #1
E91 Hoarder
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 AWD, E91 RWD, E90, X535i

Self Adjusting Clutch: is reset needed with the same friction plate?

I am swapping an engine. moving transmission to the new engine. Same flywheel and the friction plate. Does the self adjusting clutch need a reset, or can I just bolt everything back on?

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:29 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTF? View Post
I am swapping an engine. moving transmission to the new engine. Same flywheel and the friction plate. Does the self adjusting clutch need a reset, or can I just bolt everything back on?
Yes, but there are two assumptions here. The more concerning one is that the adjustment has not moved during the pressure plate removal. The less concerning one is that the new flywheel (if you are not also swapping those) has the same design and a similar amount of wear as the original.

The self-adjusting mechanism can slip when you unload the pressure plate. An old plate is often dirty and sticky enough that the pressure of those three little springs isn't enough to move the adjusting ring. But it's prudent to have this in mind before disassembly. If you noticed the amount of extension on those three little springs before you removed the plate, and it's still the same now, just re-install. But keep an eye on those springs because the self-adjusting ring can also slip when you are tightening down the pressure plate bolts just as when you are removing them.
Appreciate 0