E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Wireless OBD Adapter for N52?

06-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #1
richas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i (E91)

Wireless OBD Adapter for N52?

I have the MHD adapter, I bought it to use with xDelete. Unfortunately I don't think it will work with any other software for my E91 N52. I would like to use it to dump/reset codes through my iPhone but I don't think there are any compatible apps.

Any recommendations for a wireless adapter and software for basic code reading?

I have INPA/ISTA but I don't always want to drag out the laptop and cable....

Thanks

Rich
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Hi Rich,
I understand what you are asking about. What I do NOT understand is WHY???
You have the BEST TOOLS AVAILABLE: INPA/ISTA, Laptop, K+DCAN Cable.
WHY would you want to use a toy instead of best available tools?
So you read a Fault Code on a Phone Screen? Does it accurately display ALL FF Data related to that fault?
Can you save the data for future reference BEFORE you clear the code and lose all records of fault except History Memory (in DME/EGS/EKPS)?

How many times have you/ANYONE else EVER been able to fix anything or continue on your journey, just by reading a code and clearing it?
What other tools do you carry with you in the vehicle?

Perhaps I'm a "Dense Dinosaur", but I do NOT understand the appeal of using a phone to read/clear fault codes. "Check Control" and CC-ID codes can be used with NO device, adapter or cable. They at least identify the SYSTEM that has a fault, and if you can "continue your journey" with that fault. You can put the pdf's that lists the MEANING of various "Indicator & Warning Lamps" displays on your phone: (1) Owner's Manual pdf, (2) attached CC-ID pdf, etc.

Even with INPA or ISTA, you usually have to do further diagnostics using Wiring Diagram SSP from ISTA, Multimeter, etc. to properly identify the cause of the fault (to actually FIX anything), and even then, you often need tools, supplies or parts that you are NOT carrying with you, to FIX the problem. If your Fuel Pump or Coolant Pump quit working, can a PHONE get you home, other than by calling a Towing Company?
Please enlighten,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Warning Lamps & CC-ID.pdf (339.6 KB, 24 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

I use Bimmerlink with my iPhone (https://bimmerlink.app) - there is a list of compatible adapters on the website. All in should be $40-50 for the app + dongle. Carly is the other one that I've heard of but it's an subscription model instead of a one-time purchase.

OP - I understand where you're coming from. I have a basic set of tools in the trunk, but I'm not going to drive around with the INPA/ISTA cables and laptop in my car all the time, since as the other poster mentioned, I'm not going to have a full set of tools or be able to do detailed diagnostics on the side of the road. That said, leaving a dongle in the car and having the ability to pull codes from your phone gives you a lot more information than you'd have otherwise in the event of an issue.

If your car has an issue on the road, your choices are realistically either continue driving or stop and call a tow truck. Being able to inform that choice by knowing what codes are present and having a better idea of what's wrong seems like a no-brainer. Clearing codes on the side of the road without pulling the other diagnostic data is never ideal, but it could be worth a try if you're somewhere rural without cell service and little other traffic.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

I have Protool by BimmerGeeks and using their bluetooth adaper. Not for iOS devices, only Android.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeterrorist View Post
I have Protool by BimmerGeeks and using their bluetooth adaper. Not for iOS devices, only Android.
I agree here, Protools is great! OP it will work with your MHD adapter you can just buy a cheap android tablet or phone. I have Inpa and Ista and use protools 99% of the time. My copy of INPA is in Dutch or german, can't remember, so protools is easier for me to use.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:58 AM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richas View Post
I have the MHD adapter, I bought it to use with xDelete. Unfortunately I don't think it will work with any other software for my E91 N52. I would like to use it to dump/reset codes through my iPhone but I don't think there are any compatible apps.

Any recommendations for a wireless adapter and software for basic code reading?

I have INPA/ISTA but I don't always want to drag out the laptop and cable....

Thanks

Rich
If I understand what you are asking, yes, it is possible to use BMW standard tools and ISTA with a wireless adapter - you just need to replace one of the EDIABAS files and change some settings in a config file. It requires the installation of a different api32.dll file and a new configuration file for that dll. I've attached copies of those files in a zip archive (because E90 won't allow the binaries directly). The dll was written by Ulrich Holeschak and is an absolutely brilliant piece of reverse-engineering.

Both files should be copied to the EDIABAS/bin directory. Note that for typical BMW standard tools installations that is C:/EDIABAS/bin and for typical ISTA installations that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN. Rename the original api32.dll to something else so you can easily restore it later if you want to. You can't hurt anything doing this.

The ediabas.config file is an XML with the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="Interface" value="STD:OBD"/>
<add key="ObdComPort" value="DEEPOBDWIFI"/>
<add key="ObdKeepConnectionOpen" value="0"/>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

You'll need to edit DEEPOBDWIFI to whatever network name appears on your laptop when your adapter is plugged into your vehicles OBDII port. My understanding is it will be MHD_XXXX where XXXX is four random letters/numbers.

CAVEAT
I use this with a THOR adapter which I believe is the same device as the MHD. If the devices are different, then the procedure may not work. I'm 99% sure that they are the same but that 1% could get you. If you've got the MHD adapter and want to have a wireless avenue for diagnostics, it's worth a try.

If you want to read more about the api32.dll and ediabas start here: https://github.com/uholeschak/ediabaslib
Attached Files
File Type: zip EdiabasLib (2).zip (293.3 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by dpaul; 06-30-2022 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

I’ve done what dpaul describes. In the end I switched back because when I had my laptop out it was just as easy and probably more reliable to plug the cable in. Would be great if was just a quick toggle, but having to edit config files was enough work that it wasn’t work switching back and forth.

OP: If you are looking for an iPhone-compatible application that can read BMW codes, I really don’t know what is out there. You can buy a cheap OBD adapter and download an app for it, but I’m 99% sure it’ll only read DME codes.

It’s kind of dumb how xDelete will delete DTCs on all modules, but only reads/displays codes from the VTG.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #8
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
I’ve done what dpaul describes. In the end I switched back because when I had my laptop out it was just as easy and probably more reliable to plug the cable in. Would be great if was just a quick toggle, but having to edit config files was enough work that it wasn’t work switching back and forth.

OP: If you are looking for an iPhone-compatible application that can read BMW codes, I really don’t know what is out there. You can buy a cheap OBD adapter and download an app for it, but I’m 99% sure it’ll only read DME codes.

It’s kind of dumb how xDelete will delete DTCs on all modules, but only reads/displays codes from the VTG.
Bimmerlink is an iOS app that will read from all of the modules and pull the proper BMW codes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 12:07 PM   #9
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post

LOL, I think it's actually slightly easier to use the cable because you don't have to join the adapter's network which isn't always automatic. But lately I just use wifi - I don't have any need to switch back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
richas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i (E91)

OP here, sorry to disappear.

George, I get where you are coming from, I would not rely on an iPhone app to properly service the car and I do have the INPA/Ista tools for that. I always have my phone with me and I can leave the MHD in the car so it is just more convenient for general checking of the systems status.
I went with the Bimmerlink app and it seems to work fine, reads codes and can show sensor values. It looks like they threw in battery registration. I used the standard tools to register my AGM battery and it was a PITA.
Thanks all for the input, I appreciate it.

Rich
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by richas View Post
... I went with the Bimmerlink app and it seems to work fine, reads codes and can show sensor values. It looks like they threw in battery registration. I used the standard tools to register my AGM battery and it was a PITA...
"Battery Registration" as the term is used in INPA (Batterietausch Registrieren) or ISTA, is ONLY (1) entering the Odometer Mileage when replacement battery installed & proper button pushed; and/or (2) Resetting Histogram (record of SoC of battery). BOTH of those functions can be done in ~ 60 seconds using INPA. Just view PM (PowerManagement) Menu in INPA > DME, and press F5 & F6 buttons. NEITHER INPA nor ISTA can change "Battery Type/Capacity". To do that, Options/Coding need to be changed in the CAS Module.

If your prior Battery Capacity setting was something like "90 Ah" which CAN be read (ONLY read, NOT changed) using either INPA or ISTA, and you installed an AGM battery (changing Battery Type from FLA to AGM), then you would have to use NCS (or Tool 32?) to change setting in CAS Module. That is NOT quick or easy.

So I am "skeptical" of any "Seller" of a product that claims to do (simply) something that INPA or ISTA CANNOT do (change Battery Type setting in CAS).

You would do us ALL a favor if you determine that Bimmerlink can change Battery Type/ Capacity Setting:
1) Verify that it actually changes Type/Capacity Setting;
2) Indicate the steps necessary to make such a setting change;

Reason for this request is that there is a LOT of misinformation on the Forums related to what most folks describe simply as "Battery Registration", without realizing that there are at least THREE (3) separate functions that many lump together under that single term: "Battery Registration".
Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0