E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to replace the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor - P0073 -40F

07-01-2022, 06:40 AM   #1
M-Audio
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90, E39, E36

Question How to replace the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor - P0073 -40F

Hello All,

So, last week the CES light came on and the outside temp is reading -40F even for New England area, a bit cold in late June..

So, I scan the code, it comes back with P0073 - Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High, so I order a replacement sensor. I did one a few years back on my 530, but this one looks like you have to take the bumper off?!

I see it where is supposed to be in the lower grill area on the drivers side.

Please tell me there is a better way to replace the sensor other than removing the bumper.

Thank you!

//M Audio
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
M-Audio
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90, E39, E36

Smile Kidney surgery for the win!

Well, I answered my own question. and Yes it can be done without taking the bumper off as indicated in some videos on the tube I watched.

Steps I took:
* Pop the hood and remove the drivers side kidney grill *(vids of this online)
* to do the kidney grill removal and following steps, I did remove the 4 x T30 bolts across the top of the area (bumper cover?)
* pop out part of the cooling duct that allows you bend the plastic back and reach down and pop out the Ambient Air Temperature Sensor
* put the new one in and back down in its home and hopefully you will be good to go!

I tested the new sensor first by powering up, not starting the car and it shows 88*F, which it was and not the -40. I put it back in its spot and was about to button it up, decided to test again, and it showed -40, pulled it out, showed 90*F, turns out the wiring to the sensor had a break. So I traced the wires out, found the break, and removed that section and replaced it with the wire loom and new connector, I purchased and was good to go!

The Sensor will throw the check engine light and make the AC not work well as it thinks its -40 out. This fixed both of those issues and shows correct outside temp on the dash now.

A few pictures attached to hopefully help someone that has to do the same job...

Cheers,
//M Audio
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ttimbo281.50