E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Auto transmission - not pulling in gears and selector clicking

07-11-2022, 12:21 AM   #1
richard300
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Auto transmission - not pulling in gears and selector clicking

Hi all.... 2010 2.0litre petrol.

Car ran and drove fine and then i purchased a new car and put this one in the garage, car sat for about a month before i got round to advertising her. Last weekend someone came to view and drive the car and they purchased.

Yesterday they came to collect and within 500meters the car developed an issue....

I wound up taking the car back and refunding them (I was mortified as selling a car with a fault isn't anything i would knowingly do).

And the only thing that changed from the car driving fine on the test drive, to them collecting the car, was that i connected the car to a battery conditioner as it was notable (to me) that the car was ever so slightly lazy to start.

Symptoms are: Take car out of P and put her into D.
D displays on the dash but the gear takes a notable moment to engage and when it does its with a thud. Then its reluctant to drive and when it does it will sporadically feel like its jumped out of gear (as if its been put in neutral). Same if i put the car into reverse.
There are no warning lights on the dash and if i am parked with the car in 'Park' then the gear selector starts randomly clicking as if i am pressing the button to move the shifter.

I did the gearbox reset (held accelerator down for 30+ seconds with the car in accessory position (not running) and this didn't solve anything.

My Carly shows 00578E (transmission fluid deteriorate) And this code will not clear - But has always been there, for as long as i have owned the car.

Anyone experienced this specific issue before? And what was the cure?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
Viasat32
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 N55

Goodbye mechatronic adapter ($19 part) or sealing sleeves in the gearbox and probably solenids. This is a fairly easy job that involves dealing with a lot of screws. Takes around 2 hours. If you are about to open the box it is better to do some preventative maintenance. The rebuild kit costs around $500 for full service and includes an oil pan, gasket, solenoids, screws, oil, and a mechatronic adapter and tube seals.
Appreciate 1
Mike K332.00
      07-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #3
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Low fluid or loss of fluid pressure could do it. First I would check the fluid level, and I would even replace the fluid and filter just to see.

Is that a GM or ZF transmission in Australia? ZFs have various rubber and plastic sleeves failing, causing pressure loss: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799415
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
Viasat32
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
Low fluid or loss of fluid pressure could do it. First I would check the fluid level, and I would even replace the fluid and filter just to see.

Is that a GM or ZF transmission in Australia? ZFs have various rubber and plastic sleeves failing, causing pressure loss: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1799415
If the fluid is low, there should be a reason. Adding/changing fluid would be a temporary solution.
Appreciate 0