BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

07-30-2022, 10:39 PM   #1
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Anyone know where I can find info on the subwoofer that comes with the H/K system?

I'm like having good bass in my cars and this will be the first one in a while where I don't want a ported 12" sub in the trunk. That said, I think an upgrade to the subwoofer would go a long way. Basically just replacing the driver since I think there is a solid amount of power throughout the system.

Is there any place I can dive into the tech specs of the sub so that I can start looking for a replacement? Things like driver size, displacement/depth, ohms, watts etc.

Any links or info would be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 10:54 PM   #2
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

I'm in the same boat, I have a nice audio setup in my current car (1000w on a sealed Sundown audio sub). Hoping the M240i HK system is halfway decent in the bass department.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:12 PM   #3
donnyfontaine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I'm in the same boat, I have a nice audio setup in my current car (1000w on a sealed Sundown audio sub). Hoping the M240i HK system is halfway decent in the bass department.
Ayye Sundown!! Best audio setup I ever had was in a 2010 Rav4... had a massive custom ported and tuned box with a 12" Fi Audio sub and Sundown SAZ 1200 watt amp. That thing KICKED.

Honestly, there just isn't much bass in the '22 240. Brilliant car but that part is meh (with the HK). I have a JL Audio box that's got a built in amp, but it's 12" and may not even fit. Plus I really wanted to avoid a trunk sub this time. That said, I feel like there needs to be decent excursion/air flow for a good 20-70 hZ punch, and underseat subs I don't think can offer that :| I wish there was a way to defeat science/physics and have a super shallow sub that hit hard, but just don't think it's possible. I've spent the last hour or 2 doing some cursory research, and even the $5-600 sub options for replacing the under seat subs get mixed reviews at best.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:26 PM   #4
M3GABIT
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp @m3gabit.g80

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyfontaine View Post
I'm like having good bass in my cars and this will be the first one in a while where I don't want a ported 12" sub in the trunk. That said, I think an upgrade to the subwoofer would go a long way. Basically just replacing the driver since I think there is a solid amount of power throughout the system.

Is there any place I can dive into the tech specs of the sub so that I can start looking for a replacement? Things like driver size, displacement/depth, ohms, watts etc.

Any links or info would be appreciated!!
Not sure about the exact specs of the H/K system but these are the best plug and play replacements that I know of. I plan on adding the Bavsound system to my personal car.

https://www.bavsound.com/pages/build...?preselect=BMW

A lot of Youtubers also post about the Alpha One by BimmerTech

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/speakers...lifier-for-bmw
Appreciate 1
VegasG42390.00
      07-30-2022, 11:40 PM   #5
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

have you tried messing with the equalizer settings? I feel that the bass is pretty good at +4 but I know really nothing about sound lol
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 11:47 PM   #6
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Yeah, I don't think you can replicate the full-sized enclosure in the trunk, unfortunately. I rarely need to haul stuff in my trunk besides groceries, so I may end up doing a 10"/12" sub, just need to figure out how to get signal. LC2i?

Last edited by MPR; 07-30-2022 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0