BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-01-2022, 03:05 AM   #1
tc_303
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3

IX3 Broken into and ripped apart

Someone got into my IX3 last night (no forced entry damage and the car was locked when I went out to it)

The whole center console has been ripped apart and the screen / head unit stollen, start button / parking break has been disconnected, few cables have been cut.

The screen behind the steering wheel has been damaged also. They were in the boot too to get at the wires too I assume.

Reported to the police and insurance, called BMW Assistance to, they're coming to recover it and bring it to my local dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:06 AM   #2
tc_303
Private
Rep

Sorry about the pictures, I edited them to be the right way around but they flipped that way again for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:20 AM   #3
hollpe
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport

So sorry this has happened What absolute worthless scumbags to do this

Do you keep your keys in a faraday box? With that said I thought the latest BMW keys had motion sensor technology fitted to the keys, that shuts them down after 2 minutes.

Whilst it looks bad at the moment the parts should be easily replaceable and once replaced it will look like new again.

Please keep us updated on the progress & hopefully it won't be long until it's all sorted.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:23 AM   #4
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Really sorry to see this and hope you get it fixed ASAP. Concerned they seemed to be able to get in so easily…..

Last edited by Mogwai888; 08-01-2022 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Sorry wasn’t implying anything of OPs doing
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:23 AM   #5
ThreeXi
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hello tc_303

I’m so sorry to hear and see the experience you’ve had with your car.
How do you think the criminal(s) entered the car without damage? Do you think they used that car key signal relay method?
Perhaps they thought it was an ICE X3 and was trying a method they already knew would work for that car but when it became obvious it was an iX3 they abandoned trying to steal it?

Many thanks,
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:40 AM   #6
tc_303
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollpe View Post
So sorry this has happened What absolute worthless scumbags to do this

Do you keep your keys in a faraday box? With that said I thought the latest BMW keys had motion sensor technology fitted to the keys, that shuts them down after 2 minutes.

Whilst it looks bad at the moment the parts should be easily replaceable and once replaced it will look like new again.

Please keep us updated on the progress & hopefully it won't be long until it's all sorted.
Thanks. Yes have them in a faraday box, although like you said with the motion sensor tech that shouldnt matter too much. Have always thought that if the keys were not protected when in motion, whats to stop someone following you closely while they get the singnal? (no idea how it works, might not be that easy but who knows)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:42 AM   #7
tc_303
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeXi View Post
Hello tc_303

I’m so sorry to hear and see the experience you’ve had with your car.
How do you think the criminal(s) entered the car without damage? Do you think they used that car key signal relay method?
Perhaps they thought it was an ICE X3 and was trying a method they already knew would work for that car but when it became obvious it was an iX3 they abandoned trying to steal it?

Many thanks,
This wasnt an accident, they targeted the IX3 for the screen. It has been removed, they would have had tools, know what cables to cut, they even went into the boot to the rear loom to cut something. No chance they thought it was an ICE.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 04:26 AM   #8
handymanuk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 M Sport Pro

Really sorry to see this. It must be very upsetting for you. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:07 AM   #9
eob
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Wow. Someone must have been really pissed their iX3 (or X3) was shipped without a touchscreen due to the chip shortage.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 05:38 AM   #10
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

So sorry to see this, you must be so distraught and angry. Its is not just that someone has broken into your car and made such a mess, but its also the total frustration of now having the vehicle off the road for a while, not to mention the usual insurance claim process etc.

Like others would be interested in knowing how they got in.. did the alarm not trigger? Do you think you were targeted somewhere else or at home? . Do you have the 'walk away' self locking on or off?
As you say I am not a great believer in this key motion sensor as no way of checking it to confirm.
Do hope that it gets sorted quickly for you and back on the road very soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #11
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Really sorry about the break in. Not very pleasant to see the car in such a mess. Hope you're back on the road real soon. Like others have asked it will interesting to learn how they broke into the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #12
Gnillab
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: G08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobeam View Post
did the alarm not trigger?
This is what I want to know.

Crazy sorry this happened to you. Hope the car won't get stuck in limbo, waiting for parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #13
Mobeam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: iX3 Pro

Coincidentaly... just read in this months 'What Car' mag an article which highlights your event and why car crime like this is increasing. Mainly due to shortage of electric equipment in the marketplace. How it is sold on within the market ...one wonders ??
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #14
MM087
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Discovery

Wow - Some absolute scumbags out there. Sorry to see whats happened to your car, and hopefully it can be resolved quickly for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 12:22 AM   #15
liljestig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G08 iX3 M Sport

bone-aching, terribly sad to see...
      08-03-2022, 06:58 AM   #16
BMW_MAD
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 Msport Pro & 98 E36 M3 Evo

Garage List
2016 330e  [0.00]
1998 BMW E36 M3  [0.00]
Really sorry to see that! You must have been gutted when you saw that!

Has anyone suggested how they got in the car at all if it was locked? That's a little worrying!

Hope it gets sorted for you soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:04 AM   #17
supersebbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier Pro (Dec 21)

Wow. So sorry. I hope the insurance sorts this out quickly and doesn't quibble because of the no forced entry.

How far is the car from your house? Hard to tell from the pictures, but that could rule in/out a wireless relay theft. Also very interested to know how they got in so easily, it doesn't look particularly secluded so they were very brazen to do it, I'm sure they work fast but removing the facia and getting the screen out undamaged must have taken at least 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:30 AM   #18
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_303 View Post
This wasnt an accident, they targeted the IX3 for the screen. It has been removed, they would have had tools, know what cables to cut, they even went into the boot to the rear loom to cut something. No chance they thought it was an ICE.
Is the screen in the iX3 not the same as the X3?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:50 AM   #19
tc_303
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDEvans View Post
Is the screen in the iX3 not the same as the X3?
I have no idea, i should have said my car was targeted for the screen, it wasnt an opportunist break in
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:54 AM   #20
tc_303
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the thoughts etc, it wasn't nice to find my car like that last week.

A week on and the insurance said they should be signing off on BMW's report & quote so the repairs can be carried out. BMW has said 3-5 days for parts and then 5 days labour. Due to be going away in just under a couple of weeks, not holding my breath that i will have the car back in time though.

No idea how they got it, alarm didn't go off. Going to speak with BMW to see if they have any answers.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 05:59 AM   #21
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_303 View Post
No idea how they got it, alarm didn't go off. Going to speak with BMW to see if they have any answers.
It would be interesting to know whether the car records a log of times when it was unlocked and locked.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #22
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I feel you, had the M Sport steering wheel with M3 paddles in my F31 and it got stolen one night. No comfort access though so either I had forgotten to lock the car or they somehow managed to break in without a single scratch. Worst part was the door was left a jar, and it rained that night so it was soaking wet by the driver seat. Best part was I got a brand new steering wheel plus the paddles on my then 8 year old car, only charged about 100 USD by my insurance company.

Take the bad and find something good, and learn. Had I been able to choose now I would have opted out of comfort access just like I did when I specced the F31. I dont like the idea and the risks it comes with at all.

So, are there faraday pouches u can carry around with the FOB in it? I wouldnt mind taking it out every time.
Appreciate 0