E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help!! 2E7C

08-04-2022, 09:42 AM   #1
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT black on red

Help!! 2E7C

Hi ppl... i know this has been discussed before... but I'm stuck
2008 335i manual... battery died... car wouldn't even turn over... so changed the battery and registered it... everything is fine... went for a drive at night... about 1 hour in... a DSC fault came yp on the dash... a few seconds later the radio started fading... then the dash lit up like a christmas tree... car overheated... went into limp mode... pulled over turned it off ... scanned it every fault was registered... tried to start the car and the battery was dead... so naturally the alternator was dead... next day replaced the alternator... cleared the codes... changed the engine oil... and lo and behold i can't check the oil level... it says inactive..
Scanned the car again and the code 2E7C came up... jow inam familiar with that code... soni started troubleshooting it... did every diagnostic tricknin the book... unplugging and replugging... clearing and rescanning... and could not find the issue... waterpump is new bybthe way... ibs sensor also changes recently... all fuses checked... ground checked....
The waterpump comes on and off even when the car is turned off... which will drain the battery for sure
Any ideas???
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vania335i View Post
... 2008 335i manual... DSC fault came up on the dash... a few seconds later the radio started fading... then the dash lit up like a christmas tree... car overheated... went into limp mode... replaced the alternator... cleared the codes... changed the engine oil... and lo and behold i can't check the oil level... it says inactive.. Scanned the car again and the code 2E7C came up... The waterpump comes on and off even when the car is turned off...
You have a BSD bus issue. Here is BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition for 2E7C, and Fault Info Link:
2E7C | BSD bus Communication fault | msd80
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...UAMwAxADAANAA=

See the "Service Notes" in that Fault Info Link for HOW to test to determine the CAUSE of the issue.

Your BSD Bus connects the DME Module to:
1) OZS Oil Condition Sensor (Oil Level Sensor);
2) Alternator for control of Voltage Output (you DID replace the Alternator with a Bosch "BSD Alternator"?);
3) Coolant Pump;
4) IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) which provides Battery Voltage/Temp info to the DME.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #3
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep

Thank you gbalthrop for the reply... i already did all of that... no matter which item i disconnect the fault remains... i checked the connections and cleaned by contact cleaner... fault remains... I'm afraid it might be a DME issue... but there are no DME internal codes... tomorrow I'll resume troubleshooting... thanks alot
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #4
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Water pump?

https://www.spoolstreet.com/threads/2e7c-bsd-data-bus-communications-fault.4719/
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #5
Vania335i
DIY addict
Lebanon
Rep

Hi all... thank you all for the comments... so it was my DME...
Got a new one from junkyard... had it programmed... plugged it in... and everything went back to normal... downside is the car went back to stock
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2022, 12:43 AM   #6
titan.n54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for report your solution.
Appreciate 0