bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-09-2022, 11:24 AM   #1
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

fluttering sound

In the last few weeks, I have noticed a slight fluttering like sound I think is coming from the engine bay when I let off the throttle. The car seems to still be running fine but the noise is a bit concerning since it recently started occurring. I should mention that I have a Dinan air intake on the car as well as their piggyback tune. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I know some people have complained about a wastegate rattle on bmw turbo engines so maybe that's what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 12:28 PM   #2
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
In the last few weeks, I have noticed a slight fluttering like sound I think is coming from the engine bay when I let off the throttle. The car seems to still be running fine but the noise is a bit concerning since it recently started occurring. I should mention that I have a Dinan air intake on the car as well as their piggyback tune. Has anyone else experienced something like this? I know some people have complained about a wastegate rattle on bmw turbo engines so maybe that's what it is.
Recirculating valve flutter is sort of an expected sound with an aftermarket air intake.

When you're pushing the car a bit more it will flutter more loudly. Sometimes mine makes the full F&F BOV flutter sound.. Curious how loud it will get at AutoX this weekend

Does it sound like this?

08-09-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubingchamp View Post
Recirculating valve flutter is sort of an expected sound with an aftermarket air intake.

When you're pushing the car a bit more it will flutter more loudly. Sometimes mine makes the full F&F BOV flutter sound.. Curious how loud it will get at AutoX this weekend

Does it sound like this?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfhPptspsK0/
I'm familiar with the bov sound and my car makes that sound too, which I love! But this sound is happening right after the bov sound when I come off the throttle and is not nearly as loud as the bov sound. Any idea what it could be or if it's normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:32 PM   #4
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm familiar with the bov sound and my car makes that sound too, which I love! But this sound is happening right after the bov sound when I come off the throttle and is not nearly as loud as the bov sound. Any idea what it could be or if it's normal?
If possible, I'd get a recording of the sound from the interior and exterior.. Not really sure.

Is it the noise of the air recirculating? (kind of like a dispersing hum with a sliiiiight rattle?)
      08-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #5
Rbcmima
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

I got this too, couple days after installing the Dinan CAI, was pretty concerning. If you post a video of the sound then I can compare mine to it and tell you if its the same. Kinda sounds like a hollow echoey sound.

Edit: https://vimeo.com/738043999
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubingchamp View Post
If possible, I'd get a recording of the sound from the interior and exterior.. Not really sure.

Is it the noise of the air recirculating? (kind of like a dispersing hum with a sliiiiight rattle?)
Ok I will see if I can record it and post it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:51 PM   #7
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbcmima View Post
I got this too, couple days after installing the Dinan CAI, was pretty concerning. If you post a video of the sound then I can compare mine to it and tell you if its the same. Kinda sounds like a hollow echoey sound.

Edit: https://vimeo.com/738043999
I think that is it! Kind of glad I'm not the only one hearing this. Hoping there isn't anything wrong with the car, and it's just something noticeable now since the intake has opened up the sound of the turbo and related parts a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

I want to clarify the sound a bit more. I'm thinking it is more like almost a bubbling sound. At first I thought it was my exhaust burbling, but this car doesn't really do that and it's more coming from the engine bay area.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #9
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

It’s a normal sound with an aftermarket intake. You will now hear all sorts of odd intake noises that were always happening you just couldn’t hear them with the stock intake.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #10
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
It’s a normal sound with an aftermarket intake. You will now hear all sorts of odd intake noises that were always happening you just couldn’t hear them with the stock intake.
I hope you are right. The weird thing is I hadn't noticed this noise the first few months I had the intake on the car but started noticing after some hard driving in the mountains with the car loaded down with luggage.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 10:24 AM   #11
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I hope you are right. The weird thing is I hadn't noticed this noise the first few months I had the intake on the car but started noticing after some hard driving in the mountains with the car loaded down with luggage.
Probably just the extra load from the thinner air
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #12
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Probably just the extra load from the thinner air

Yep. The clip sounds pretty normal to me.
      08-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #13
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Everything I have read in the thread and the videos posted all seem pretty normal with the semi-open intake. Did you also install the turbo inlet recently by chance? That mod makes those BOV/flutter noises to be even more vocal/apparent is the reason I ask.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Everything I have read in the thread and the videos posted all seem pretty normal with the semi-open intake. Did you also install the turbo inlet recently by chance? That mod makes those BOV/flutter noises to be even more vocal/apparent is the reason I ask.
Thanks Dinan for responding to my post, I appreciate it. That makes me feel much better than the noises I'm hearing seem normal with the semi open intake. I don't have the turbo inlet yet but was thinking about getting it too. I'm hesitating because a few people on the forms mentioned having trouble installing it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 12:59 AM   #15
m_g42bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:
Yep it's completely normal I also have a Dinan cold air intake the sound weirdly Reminds me of a toilet flush 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 03:35 AM   #16
Dynamodux
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i

Probably Compressor surge
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #17
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Dinan for responding to my post, I appreciate it. That makes me feel much better than the noises I'm hearing seem normal with the semi open intake. I don't have the turbo inlet yet but was thinking about getting it too. I'm hesitating because a few people on the forms mentioned having trouble installing it themselves.
1 person had trouble installing it and blamed the part which I think it was installer error as my Dinan inlet installed without issue. The person who said their pcvhose wouldn’t fit probably just needed to lube the oring as it’s a tight fit, as it should be.

Granted I noticed 0 difference with the inlet but didn’t really expect to
Notice anything.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 08:24 AM   #18
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1 person had trouble installing it and blamed the part which I think it was installer error as my Dinan inlet installed without issue. The person who said their pcvhose wouldn’t fit probably just needed to lube the oring as it’s a tight fit, as it should be.

Granted I noticed 0 difference with the inlet but didn’t really expect to
Notice anything.
Good to know. Did you notice increased sound with the inlet pipe? Also do you have the Dinan intake?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #19
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. Did you notice increased sound with the inlet pipe? Also do you have the Dinan intake?
I do have a Dinan intake and I also have the fake engine noise turned off.

Between the sound the intake already made, engine and exhaust noise I could tell no difference after installing the inlet.

If someone installed it without telling me I would have no idea it was even there. Despite that it’s a nice looking piece.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 04:43 PM   #20
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do have a Dinan intake and I also have the fake engine noise turned off.

Between the sound the intake already made, engine and exhaust noise I could tell no difference after installing the inlet.

If someone installed it without telling me I would have no idea it was even there. Despite that it’s a nice looking piece.
Thanks for the info. Based on the fact you aren't noticing a difference in sound, I think I will have to pass on it for the time being. It doesn't seem worth the price and time and effort to install just for something that looks nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 07:02 PM   #21
Rdurty2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Based on the fact you aren't noticing a difference in sound, I think I will have to pass on it for the time being. It doesn't seem worth the price and time and effort to install just for something that looks nice.
Agreed
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #22
BigRon033
Technician
Rep
Drives: '93 RX-7, '12 135i, '22 M240i

None of the B-series engines have blow-off valves, so you're going to be subjected to a bit more compressor noise compared to prior engines (N55, N54, ect). It's even more apparent on a heavier car like the X5/X7, but it's heavily dampened by the factory intake system.

If it wasn't making any odd noises with the factory intake, I wouldn't be concerned. The engine is tuned to ingest any excess pressure in the intake system (when you suddenly go off throttle) by opening the Valvetronic (intake valves) and retarding the ignition timing.
Appreciate 1