E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No Communication possible with Drivers seat module

08-15-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

No Communication possible with Drivers seat module

Creating this thread because I'm a little special and created thread in wrong spot

Original Thread

If you just want the short version.. Start reading from the Bolded line

Got 2 E90s.. One is a donor car, other is my daily. Both cars are same year (2005). Donor car has a lot of the goodies so naturally i want to move as much of it over to my daily as possible.

So i have fitted:
Sport Steering wheel
Sport Seats (It had powered comfort seats)
Entire iDrive dash (mine had no idrive)
Xenon Adaptive Headlights
Combox (Purchased on ebay)
CIC (Purchased on ebay)

As far as ECUs i didn't transfer anything really. I took the loom from donor car that does all the speakers and headunit and laid it all down where i pulled old loom out. This is the only loom i touched.. And i regret that as i probably could have saved myself the trouble moving all the wiring while it was all apart.

Originally the idrive that i used from donor car was a "MASK" unit.. Then i put a CCC in it.. and eventually upgraded to CIC (and at the time upgraded to the idrive CIC Controller)

Everything was fitted and aside from an issue with the audio not working until i replaced some broken MOST wires (Id never worked on a beamer before.. i didn't know about the fiber optics) and the controller power lead not getting power.. (Which was fixed by splicing power from CD Changer) everything else was all great.

Eventually i added an android piggyback unit to give even more features to the car. And this all went relatively smoothly. I used the car almost daily for work commute.

Then i got tapped in the ass by a driver not paying attention behind me. And got a free upgrade to msport rear bar (supplied by donor car).

Then the car got parked up as i had to drive a work van..
And that's when i learned vapour barriers are actually super important.. And you should not forget to reinstall them after doing an interior swap. Even if you do live in Australia where it never rains.. Because when it does rain.. It rains hard.. for like a week.

So yeah.. i come home from work one day.. Find my car with some mould starting to grow on seats, fogged up windows and wet carpet on passenger rear side only

I immediately notice the battery is also flat. No idea how old that battery was.. So i just accepted it was done and replaced it.

Then i start work on cleaning up the seats.. And pulling out the front passenger seat to properly dry underneath that part of the carpet. Got a shop vac in there and sucked up all i got.. it wasn't a swimming pool by any means but enough of a puddle to splash in and pretty much exclusively in that compartment of passenger rear floor.
Left that bit of the carpet raised to dry it out even more.

Took the middle console out while i was at it to a)get even more carpet up b)install some LCI paddle shifters (needed access to shifter wiring)

Had to move the drivers seat back while i was at it. Also wanted to clean up the wiring for the radio + controller.. Since i learnt i could just power the controller off the screen instead of running a cable all the way back to the cd changer. As i was also having trouble with the CIC controller not always working i had left the battery connected so that i could fiddle with the wires and see if i can find a break.. one of the wires slipped my hand.. touched the metal handbrake and popped a fuse.

Replaced fuse.. Continued on working..

CIC controller was still working intermittently at times.. So ran new kcan wiring to it as voltage and ground was good.. (this time from the headunit as well).. But it turned out to be the plug itself was a just sitting a bit loose from the controller.. so the wiring was all fine in the first place..

Finished drying out rear passenger side carpet and started putting everything back together.. And then i notice the drivers seat is no longer working.

I checked voltage at the big yellow plug.. read a good 12V..the other smaller wires around it all generally were sitting at 1.6v... one other had 8v

Checked over every fuse i could find related to seats (type 1 pre 07 fusebox) and replaced anything that even looked good but a bit dirty.
Tried with the old seats switch panel
I have inspected the wiring and plugs around the seat
I have swapped the actual loom on the seat that goes to all the motors and switches from the original seats
Swapped the module itself with the one from the original seats
Ran ISTA on either module.. both report "No communication possible with seat module"..

I also had a long standing issue with the footwell lights not working so i swapped in the FRM from the donor car.. which was a FRM2 so it was an update for me and i later figured out i needed it for my xenons anyway.

I also swapped in the JBE from donor car just to rule it out (the old one also had some light corrosion too.

(This or the FRM install fixed my footwell light issue)

And lastly today i went all back through it.. Removed the android box incase it was messing with my canbus system (it cleared the code for controller but aside from that no change)

Here is my ISTA to date:

Short of growing longer legs.. I don't know what to do.. I either have a bad seat module (and managed to replace it with a (was working now not working) seat module from old seat.

Last edited by Brendanssound; 08-15-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Looks like you made some progress.
Did you program the new Head Unit to your desired specs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 07:03 PM   #3
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Looks like you made some progress.
Did you program the new Head Unit to your desired specs.
Huh? The CIC? It's okay.. but I would like to use Spotify and google maps (which is why I added the android box) but then I heard audio quality and now that it's out again I'm thinking I won't put it back. I wanna get a "Mr12Volt" box instead.. carplay over MOST hell yes..

Now of only I could actually reach the pedals to drive it
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 08:49 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Did you try to manualy turn the worm screws under the seat to move it foward
being careful to turn them both a little at a time or at the same time and speed.

https://getjerry.com/questions/how-d...-seat-in-a-bmw

Or you could try this

Last edited by ctuna; 08-15-2022 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:02 PM   #5
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Did you try to manualy turn the worm screws under the seat to move it foward
So yesterday I had cut up some old multi probes and hooked them up something like this. But looks like I probably tried to prove the wrong wire anyway so I will try again with the wire that guy used. Can't do anything atm.. stuck on baby duty.

Getting the seat moved to a position where I can use it will be great.. but still not sure why I can't use the modules?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:46 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

The gist of the seat stuff is it looks like you can turn it at the motor shaft
to move the seat. As long as the seat isn't binding.
Appreciate 0