E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e90 EU vs US

08-25-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
remus0597
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive

e90 EU vs US

how do we see if an e90 is from Europe or America?
besides the red or yellow signals, what other differences are there?

I have an e90 with the first registration in 08/2010 in Germany, but something appeared on the carvertical before that registration (a matter of a few months, maybe even a year) where nothing was specified exactly. Is it possible that it was brought from America or was the first date that was there before the first registration was the date of manufacture? It's a diesel, rarely diesel in America (3l).
Secondly, my car has red rear lights. BMW ever put red signals on European cars, is there any edition with something like this? I'm sure there are others like me in Europe, but in the year since I've had the car, I haven't seen any BMWs with red signal lights.

I'm a little confused
I come back with the question:
How do we distinguish an e90 for America from the one for Europe, what are the differences?
Thank you very much !!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

You can use a VIN decoder to see the market version.
Keep in mind we never received a 330d in the States, so your car is EU spec most likely.

Red rear tail lights are odd though - no amber turn signals? Can’t imagine it would pass Tüv…
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 02:05 PM   #3
remus0597
Rep

I did a tuv, the car had some problems that I have to solve in the next period.
My friends even told me the car was checked with increased attention compared to theirs, because it is registered in Romania (I'm Romanian, I ve been living in Germany for a while) or maybe because they discovered small problems from the start and wanted to be sure that they did not put anyone in danger.

as for the destination of the car...I put it on a few sites (free version) and it says it s Europe.
however, if there are still differences between European and American models...you can tell them, any information is wonderful. we like to know as much as possible
i m sorry that I don t write/speak correctly in English
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep

Not a problem!

From what I understand, a North American marker car will have amber reflectors in the bumper or in the actual headlights if a prefacelift.

Given it's a EU spec car from the build sheet, I wonder if you don't have film over the tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:21 PM   #5
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by remus0597 View Post
I did a tuv, the car had some problems that I have to solve in the next period.
My friends even told me the car was checked with increased attention compared to theirs, because it is registered in Romania (I'm Romanian, I ve been living in Germany for a while) or maybe because they discovered small problems from the start and wanted to be sure that they did not put anyone in danger.

as for the destination of the car...I put it on a few sites (free version) and it says it s Europe.
however, if there are still differences between European and American models...you can tell them, any information is wonderful. we like to know as much as possible
i m sorry that I don t write/speak correctly in English

Dein English ist besser mein Deutsche.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 10:27 AM   #6
remus0597
Rep

The car is the one in the picture. It s an LCI, I don t think there are any differences between EU and US

but behind... the orange LEDs you see in the picture, mine are red. from what i ve heard, this is an american specification
I don t know exactly what you mean by "film". I'm thinking about foil/wrap, if that s what you mean, it has nothing. they are exactly like all the cars i see on the street, except that mine lights up red. I ll take a picture of mine too if you re curious, I don t have it right now
Attached Images

Last edited by remus0597; 08-26-2022 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Internal
No 4 cylinders in the US(only 6 cylinder even in diesel )
Idrive has different levels in Europe
HI FI stereo is the lowest level stereo in the US
for every year but 2010 to 2011.5
3 liter is the base displacement in the US for 325 and 328.
(even though it says 325)
No direct injected N53 engine in the US for 330.
No option for cloth seats in US in any BMW.
See wikipedia for more details.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-26-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Tuna hit most differences but the us version have DOT approved lights and glass. German lights and glass have something different (CE ) approval or something. US cars operate on a different frequency when it comes to door locks and coding for most of the computers have variables different between the countries. US cars were also required to have TPMS sensors in the wheels while the EU version cars had the non sensor coding that used the ABS rings for detecting different rolling speeds. (Forgot what the specific system is called)

As you mentioned that your car was from Romania, the previous owner may have swapped the tail lights to be different, some US people swap for the Euro lights to be different as well.
As an American here in Germany I have considered swapping for the Euro lights on my e90s to blend in better as well.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

2006 have the wheel speed sensors for TPMS.
which means you never have to change the wheel senors
but you also don't get a pressure read out.
They do work for telling you when you have leak though
you have to find it manually.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #10
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep

I wonder if your tail lights have been replaced at some point with US market ones.
What’s the part number on them?

Also, you’re extremely lucky to have Active Cruise Control! A very rare and expensive option!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #11
remus0597
Rep

the ones in the picture are the part numbers right? they are the first ones I see when I look at them

until now I have never seen a BMW from the E generation with that radar, so I like to hear from you that you say that it is very rare, I think it's natural to be happy to know that you own something rare and a little selfish at the same time
about Active Cruise Control...nonfunctional
as lucky as you think I am with that ACC, as much as I'm lucky, I'm disappointed and upset that it doesn't work

in Romania I was not interested in repairing it, but since I live in Germany I have changed my mind. After minimal checks, it seems that that radar is broken, which is a little bad because the lowest price I can find on eBay is 500 euro and I don't have a guarantee that it's functional, and very rarely at 500 euro. I hope it's other problem, HAHA
I wanted to answer earlier, but I also wanted to attach a picture with the message on the navigation with the error, I always forgot about this when I was driving,anyway... it's something very vague like "Active Cruise Control Failure"
Just simple Cruise Control without keeping the distance it should work?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 06:00 PM   #12
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the ones in the picture are the part numbers right? they are the first ones I see when I look at them

until now I have never seen a BMW from the E generation with that radar, so I like to hear from you that you say that it is very rare, I think it's natural to be happy to know that you own something rare and a little selfish at the same time
about Active Cruise Control...nonfunctional
as lucky as you think I am with that ACC, as much as I'm lucky, I'm disappointed and upset that it doesn't work

in Romania I was not interested in repairing it, but since I live in Germany I have changed my mind. After minimal checks, it seems that that radar is broken, which is a little bad because the lowest price I can find on eBay is 500 euro and I don't have a guarantee that it's functional, and very rarely at 500 euro. I hope it's other problem, HAHA
I wanted to answer earlier, but I also wanted to attach a picture with the message on the navigation with the error, I always forgot about this when I was driving,anyway... it's something very vague like "Active Cruise Control Failure"
Just simple Cruise Control without keeping the distance it should work?
I'll cross reference when I can make it back to my iPad…

As for ACC, yes, it can be coded out.
I am also more than happy to purchase your radar sensor from you as well
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #13
remus0597
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
I am also more than happy to purchase your radar sensor from you as well

I ask if simple Cruise Control should work if the radar is broken because it can be an indication if he is the problem, not because it is an option for me to give up ACC and switch to Cruise Control. I don't even think about it.
First time i m doing my best to fix this without changing a part on the car, maybe it's just a software thing or maybe it's a wire that doesn't make contact, something that costs...nothing

I would be happy to find one for you, even at a good price.
however. i understand that if you would be happy to buy it from me, I come to the conclusion that you think it is functional. so you want to say the radar is not the problem, right?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #14
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
2006 have the wheel speed sensors for TPMS.
which means you never have to change the wheel senors
but you also don't get a pressure read out.
They do work for telling you when you have leak though
you have to find it manually.
fun thing is TPMS isn't mandated in Canada, so our imported 2012 X3 came without them, even though the rest of the car is basically identical to the US version. I was pretty happy when it saved me like $150 while getting new tires..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 04:18 PM   #15
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ask if simple Cruise Control should work if the radar is broken because it can be an indication if he is the problem, not because it is an option for me to give up ACC and switch to Cruise Control. I don't even think about it.
First time i m doing my best to fix this without changing a part on the car, maybe it's just a software thing or maybe it's a wire that doesn't make contact, something that costs...nothing

I would be happy to find one for you, even at a good price.
however. i understand that if you would be happy to buy it from me, I come to the conclusion that you think it is functional. so you want to say the radar is not the problem, right?
With time, even a broken one can be fixed! I’ve been trying to get my hands one an E90 ACC sensor to see if it’s compatible electrically with the E65 one which is much more common.

Solving your cruise control issues will require an INPA install at the bare minimum to see what the error codes are - you can go from there!
Appreciate 0